V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

Got the oil cooler lines squared away today. I'll tell you how straight forward they are to make after I start the engine and there's no leaks. A pair of 18" cable cutters and dedicated hyd fitting vice jaws make things a lot easier.

Note the "black" heat shrink. I know someone that probably would have gone red.:P

DSC00967.JPG

DSC00965.JPG

Ciao

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

It is pretty amazing to see that is what she looks like with the front framework and structure all in place.  Soooo very nicely done!  :thumbsup:

Is the swingarm, shock, and reardrive in place, yet?

6 hours ago, docc said:

It is pretty amazing to see that is what she looks like with the front framework and structure all in place.  Soooo very nicely done!  :thumbsup:

Is the swingarm, shock, and reardrive in place, yet?

Not yet docc but we're close. Limited time at present but you know that's often a good thing with this sort of project as it gives you time to consider things. These projects where you are modifying stuff take a lot of working out if you want it to come out looking professional plus I like the slow and considered approach. Standard restorations are easy because all the design work has been done for you its just a matter of getting the finishing work in order and assembling all the components in sequence.

The last big issue is steering stops which means pulling the tripples etc.

Ciao 

Productive day today, got the tank mount finished. Titanium bolts and bushes except for the top ones on the rubber mounts which I made from Ally. I used 18mm hex so I can hold it with a wrench when tightening up the mount bolts. I couldn't buy any hex Ti bar.

The four lock nuts are just that lock nuts only. I tapped the vertical plates for the 4 6mm bolts. The whole thing is a bit as they say "component dense" but there you go.

DSC00981.JPG

Battery holder fitted with ti bolts. Such a great material. Elastic,tough,light and weather resistant.

DSC00979.JPG

Swing arm fitted. I removed the horrid huger nuts and used rubber blanks instead.

DSC00977.JPG

Fully adjustable Wilbers shock. Better quality than an OEM Ohlins and cheaper as well.

DSC00976.JPG

Swing arm other side.

DSC00974.JPG

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey Lucky Phil I've just signed up to the forum after reading your V11 Daytona project, very impressed, so apologies if I'm in the wrong area (still trying to work it out)!

I have been restoring my Daytona RS for the last few years, which I purchased with my heart rather than my head. And paid the price ever since! I had to laugh reading your story because I have gone through a lot of the same issues that you have. Can I ask who you managed to find to clean the side flow injectors? After no luck finding anyone, I did the same as you and left the injectors in a bath of injector cleaner for about a month and pulsed them with a 9 volt battery. I eventually got them to work but I don't think the spray pattern is particularly good. The other thing I wanted to ask you was what paint have you used on the engine and gearbox?

Thanks Mike

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikeymike said:

Hey Lucky Phil I've just signed up to the forum after reading your V11 Daytona project, very impressed, so apologies if I'm in the wrong area (still trying to work it out)!

I have been restoring my Daytona RS for the last few years, which I purchased with my heart rather than my head. And paid the price ever since! I had to laugh reading your story because I have gone through a lot of the same issues that you have. Can I ask who you managed to find to clean the side flow injectors? After no luck finding anyone, I did the same as you and left the injectors in a bath of injector cleaner for about a month and pulsed them with a 9 volt battery. I eventually got them to work but I don't think the spray pattern is particularly good. The other thing I wanted to ask you was what paint have you used on the engine and gearbox?

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike I got my injectors cleaned by Aznew 3/56 Smith rd Springvale and used VHT primer and cast iron engine paint. I cant yet comment on its durability.

Ciao

Thanks Phil I'll try Aznew. Someone else recommended VHT so I gave them a call but the guy I spoke to seemed a little vague so I never followed it up. I was considering their caliper paint because it is supposed to be pretty durable and has a high temp rating.

Cheers

Dunno if you can get it in Oz, but KBS in Indiana makes some really great stuff. All sorts of engine and cast iron colors, Hi-temp in various colors and gloss hi-temp. Their specialty is rust neutralizing and sealing, much like POR15, but I personally think it's a bit better. Priced about like U-Pol. 

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 12:46 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Productive day today, got the tank mount finished. Titanium bolts and bushes except for the top ones on the rubber mounts which I made from Ally. I used 18mm hex so I can hold it with a wrench when tightening up the mount bolts. I couldn't buy any hex Ti bar.

The four lock nuts are just that lock nuts only. I tapped the vertical plates for the 4 6mm bolts. The whole thing is a bit as they say "component dense" but there you go.

DSC00981.JPG

Battery holder fitted with ti bolts. Such a great material. Elastic,tough,light and weather resistant.

DSC00979.JPG

Swing arm fitted. I removed the horrid huger nuts and used rubber blanks instead.

DSC00977.JPG

Fully adjustable Wilbers shock. Better quality than an OEM Ohlins and cheaper as well.

DSC00976.JPG

Swing arm other side.

DSC00974.JPG

Ciao

A two week gap in posting progress either means L'Phil is on holiday in Tahiti or we about to see a quantum leap of the "V11 Daytona Project" . . . :food:

• Like 1

Plenty of other life tasks to do docc. I've been chipping away at stuff working out orientation of the injectors so they clear the airbox and the other stuff crammed into the under tank area. For some reason I thought i could orientate them any direction to suit the wiring for the connector plug......wrong. So after much trial and error taking into consideration wiring length, connector plug clearance, airbox clearance, ability to remove the airbox without interference from the injectors and their plugs I settled on positioning that requires extending the cabling for the l/h injector. What a PITA, I hate doing this as it ends up with wiring with ridged points and its tricky with the loom on the bike space wise.

I've had the airbox on and off about a Gagillion times checking clearances for the above plus the lay of the wiring loom which has been disturbed and the fuel line from the tank to the pump. I hate this stupid line with its lack of flexibility, It makes tank removal a pain and messy but I cant think of a cure. I bought an inline check valve for it but its too short to use as the CV takes up about 50mm in the line. Pulling the tank on the V11 is such a PITA Id love the later tank but its no go for mine.

As I've mentioned before its a whole nother ball game putting together a "special" as compared to a stocker, nothing seems to go together easy:) 

Fitted up the rear end so progress is happening.

DSC00994.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every great once in awhile I have fantasized owning an ideal special. Just buy the damn thing and be done with it. What would it be? Long ago I once thought a Kenny Dreer Commando, then it fell to a Duc Paul Smart. Now me thinks it's this bike. I'm preparing myself for a blown mind when this is machine is finished.:P:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

Every great once in awhile I have fantasized owning an ideal special. Just buy the damn thing and be done with it. What would it be? Long ago I once thought a Kenny Dreer Commando, then it fell to a Duc Paul Smart. Now me thinks it's this bike. I'm preparing myself for a blown mind when this is machine is finished.:P:

As long as thats the only thing that gets blown when I hit the start button for the first time:) 

Ciao

• Haha 2