V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

Not too shabby at all mate! Might even have looked good in other colours (?) ... but that green (had to say that!). I also think that lower belly pan really finishes off the look - tried to find one for mine a while back but no luck.

So a beautiful ending to a nice story - looking forward to the road-test report already.

Cheers!

Yes I'm happy with the way it looks. Raising the tank seems not to have had a negative impact. I might leave the rack off, initially anyway as my wife cant get pillion for the moment. I only had it fitted as a really good pillion hand hold.

Its a great looking engine that's for sure, a look that engenders a feeling that danger may exist here. Bit like a big radial aircraft engine. When you know whats thrashing around inside one of those thing its a little bit worrying and scary.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:14 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Yes docc just for you:bier:

A few other jobs ticked off today. Got my lower spoiler installed and made up the oil return line. Next job is to make up a remote fuel tank for tuning work.

DSC01031.JPG

DSC01029.JPG

DSC01030.JPG

Merlin doesn't care about viruses, he's just happy his mummy and daddy are home 24/7

DSC00993.JPG

Ciao

Well done Phil.

Seriously lovin pretty much everything about it... especially the attention to those details...

Looking forward to a short vid when she's up and sorted.

Ciao

Some time today was spent resolving the side cover fitment. Since day 1 owning a V11 the fitment was rubbish which caused cracking around the mounts. Eventualy my LH cover front mount area lost a whole piece the crack extended so far. I dont know if this is typical( I suspect it is as I have 3 sets of covers and a spare airbox and the fitment seems the same)

The RH cover here is a brand new factory unit and the LH is a freshly painted repaired one, both bought years ago awaiting their time in the sun so I'm keen that they dont crack.   

I'd be interested to know if the factory carbon covers fit any better because the Nylon originals are appalling. 

The only way around the problem that I could see was to elongate some of the mounting holes so the covers could fit without any loading at all. I achieved this and to assist with future longevity I machined up the heads of some aluminium 5mm button head screws I had laying around. I must say I'm not enthralled with the looks of the screws as i'd rather something small and discrete like the originals but I wanted some fixing area around the screw heads. I machined the buttons down from 16 to 14 mm head dia and took the roundness off. Like I said a bit too chunky but there you go. 

First image and this is whats required to make the LHS cover fit without any load on the mount points. Elongate the top hole 7mm. I mean this hole is nowhere near the right location. The LH cover didnt need any rework to this mount but required around 5mm elongation to the lower hole.

DSC01040.JPG 

DSC01042.JPG

DSC01039.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know if the factory carbon covers fit any better

There is kind of a "drill" to install them, but they fit ok on mine. Not unlike fitting up a cowling on some airplanes,. :)

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

There is kind of a "drill" to install them, but they fit ok on mine. Not unlike fitting up a cowling on some airplanes,. :)

Is that the carbon ones Chuck? 

Yes engine cowls can be a challenge even hinged ones on high bypass jet engines. Light a/c ones are just a misshapen pile or wobbly tin foil until latched into place I would imagine:)  

Ciao

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Is that the carbon ones Chuck? 

Yes engine cowls can be a challenge even hinged ones on high bypass jet engines. Light a/c ones are just a misshapen pile or wobbly tin foil until latched into place I would imagine:)  

Ciao

Yes, and yes again. :D

Funny thing, my excellent selling dealer supplied me with replacement side covers under warranty, but made me promise never to install them! :mg:

25 minutes ago, docc said:

Funny thing, my excellent selling dealer supplied me with replacement side covers under warranty, but made me promise never to install them! :mg:

Ha, sounds like a wise move docc. I re-checked the spare nylon covers I have on my spare really nice late model airbox and with all the grommets and spacers fitted you cant mount the cover without significant distortion to the cover which is what eventually causes them to crack it appears. One mount hole on each cover is a long way out. Once that is corrected then they fit up with zero load. Might be a project for the future,fibreglass covers with the holes in the right spots. Good to know the carbon ones dont seem to be an issue,although they are very difficult to find.

I machined 1 mm off the tops of my new cover screws and they look a bit better now.

Ciao

• Like 1

Ticked another couple of boxes today,added gearbox oil and reworked the seat. I found with the tank raised and in a rearward most position dictated by the aft mount slot that the seat unit wouldn't latch down. Turns out I needed to trim 10mm from the front of the seat base so I removed the staples that secure the front of the cover and removed 10mm from the ctr tapering to zero about 50mm from the corner. Re-stapled the cover back into place and were're golden. I also shimmed the seat latch up a few mm so it latches nicely now. It always required a bit of a shove down to latch properly but its quite nice now.

Seem to be getting close to the finish line now, refit the tail under tray and rear plate holder and machine up the final tank rear mount spacer and fit the oil pressure gauge for the initial start. I'll wait a little for that and collect my thoughts and go through a check list of double checking stuff.

Ciao