V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

The sweep of the pipes look great Phil.  I like how it looks like the tank has respectfully lifted her skirt a tad to allow that thumping motor room!

(Any chance of a shot sans bellypan? ^_^

I have never really liked the high pipe look of the Ti cans to be honest

Rosie the Rosso Corsa came to my place with them, but I didn't like the look on her. Changed them to the stock location.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stewgnu said:

The sweep of the pipes look great Phil.  I like how it looks like the tank has respectfully lifted her skirt a tad to allow that thumping motor room!

(Any chance of a shot sans bellypan? ^_^

Sure, might be a little while though.

Ciao

22 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Damn this is embarrassing. I dug out my hangers that I've had for years and there is adaptor plates there. I've been collecting parts for this for so long I've forgotten what I actually have. Sorry for wasting your time.

DSC01068.JPG

No worries, no time wasted. I got to dig through my stuff too. My sense of purpose took a small hit though.:unsure:

• Like 1

I was chatting with friends about this amazing chronicle and stumbled across start-to-finish imges that are fun to juxtapose and ponder . . .

gallery_7936_218_75163.jpg

small.DSC01065.JPG.4780a5cf2b583e501da9d

Thanks, again, LuckyPhil!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It lives! Long day today. The last pieces showed up yesterday so I got them fitted and installed the tank ready to start the bike.

DSC01080.JPG

I've been talking to Paul Minnaert about fuelling stuff which has been great and informative. Pauls still recovering from the Covid-19 although he didn't go into details he still has a bit to go.Many things affected and it takes some time. 

Apparently my 15M is an early one and there may be an issue with it's pressure sensor compared to later units which affects the maps you can run. I've also been getting great help from Gritman that was on here a few years ago and has done the same thing. He sent me his bin file which is a really nice of him and much appreciated. I need to see if my 15M and its differences will be ok with this bin. Hopefully it will be usable.

Anyway to business. Paul and others reccon the std V11 map isnt a bad starting point anyway so I decided to just try and run it on the map in my ecu and confirm the mechanical stuff and then move onto the tuning. The bike fired up after a little cranking but was only running on the right cylinder which was a bit disappointing The other think I was keen to check was the oil pressure after my relief valve spring mod so I was watching it like a hawk ( I'd hooked up a remote gauge). The oil pressure was too high at 100 psi cold idle so I wasn't keen to to run it too much until I'd fixed that. The issue with the left cylinder was my bad. I had to extend the left injector harness and for the first time I used those new all in one solder and heat shrink joiners. In the middle of a fitted wiring harness you cant use a heat gun so I tried it with my soldering iron which is how I usually do heat shrink in these situations. I wasnt entirely happy with the outcome and went back to the tried and tested process for everything else however I put a meter across the joints and they had continuity so I left them. Bad mistake, feeding and flexing the left injector harness into place dislodged the wires. When I saw then the ends didn't even have any solder on them,DOH so back to the old way, problem solved.  

I then dropped the sump off and pulled the relief valve and fitted the original spring and shims and threw it back together and cranked it over with the plugs out to get some oil pressure which came right up anyway. Started it up and away it went. Cranking oil pressure cold was 50 psi as was cold idle. Once the oil got to 45degC the idle pressure dropped back to around 43 psi. I blipped the throttle a few times to 2750 rpm and got just under 60 psi with oil at 45 deg C. I was conscious of keeping the engine temp within reason as I didn't have any fans set up. So a bit of fiddling with the balance and idle screw and it sat there idling at 1100 rpm fairly happily.

I haven't even checked the CO setting on the ecu so the next job is to hook up the Guzzi Diag and see what we have. No images as for some reason the site isn't happy with the formatting all of a sudden.

Ciao

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just goes to show an engine has no idea what it is bolted into, it just wants air, fuel and somewhere to send its exhaust.  Well, I think that indicates how easy an engine swop is!  :oldgit::thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, 68C said:

Just goes to show an engine has no idea what it is bolted into, it just wants air, fuel and somewhere to send its exhaust.  Well, I think that indicates how easy an engine swop is!  :oldgit::thumbsup:

Fair way to go yet I think tuning wise.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 68C said:

A guy that is good at it makes it look easy. :grin:

• Thanks 1

I was looking at Gritman's post and he made no mention of fooling around with the ignition timing. Did you speak with him if he did?

I'd imagine the requirements in the ignition timing between a hemispherical head of the V11and the pentroof head of the high cam would be quite different.

6 hours ago, Kevin_T said:

I was looking at Gritman's post and he made no mention of fooling around with the ignition timing. Did you speak with him if he did?

I'd imagine the requirements in the ignition timing between a hemispherical head of the V11and the pentroof head of the high cam would be quite different.

Well as Paul Minnaert informed me the map for an MGS-01 is identical to a V11 map. Go figure.

Ciao 

• Thanks 1