V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

So here's another trap for the rookie, OR the experienced that gets led in a particular direction and doesn't do his due diligence.The cam support on the R/H cylinder has had a tiny,tiny annoying leak since I put it together. The sort of leak thats just a minor annoyance to be honest but seeing I had the tank off replacing the throttle bodies I thought I might as well look at it. Its a PITA on this bike as the engine needs to be supported and the front subframe unbolted and swung forward and the r/h header pipe removed to get the belt cover off. Then loosen the cam belt and remove the cam pulley and then remove the cam support. Anyway I had a suspicion I had used the incorrect oring on one side, I thought I may have used the fractionally smaller rocker cover plug hole oring so I got the support off and measured the installed oring ID against a spare I had and yes it looked to be under sized. Great I thought that's the issue. I did my usual cursory look at the associated parts as usual but not hard enough I suspect. Anyway all back together but still have this tiny leak. Very frustrating. So lets get out the 2 spares I have and do a dye pen check. Results below.

Moral of the story................. look beyond the obvious and check EVERYTHING. Seems porosity isn't unheard of on these supports and right in the oring groove.

DSC01160.JPG

DSC01159.JPG

Ciao   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I chased a weep on Rosie the Rosso for quite a while. It wouldn't show up until she was *hot.* Finally found a pin hole (literally) in the valve cover. Knowing the manufacturing process.. it boggles the mind how there could be a hole that small in diameter going all the way through.

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

I chased a weep on Rosie the Rosso for quite a while. It wouldn't show up until she was *hot.* Finally found a pin hole (literally) in the valve cover. Knowing the manufacturing process.. it boggles the mind how there could be a hole that small in diameter going all the way through.

That’s weird. The first V11 that I was looking at before I found this one had a tiny pin hole in one of the valve covers that was slowly weeping oil. The bike was a red frame with black tank, and black valve covers. At the time I was wondering how the hell something like that happens as I could not imagine it leaving the factory like that. (Questions about that bike is what lead me to this place :thumbsup::mg:). Is this a problem from the casting process or porosity?