rear bearings and brake

docc

Getting ready for a ride to the Appalachians in a month and found a weak rear Pirelli GT. They are lasting about 3500 miles for me; right at average for my 30 rear tires. (I get 3 rear : 4 front).

Trying to follow my own advice (Wheels Off Maintenance Checklist in FAQ) , I found my Brembo rear pads ready for a change (10,111 miles/ 16.300 km). Inboard more than outboard, which tells me the pistons need cleaned, equalized, pin polished and lubed, and fluid bled.

The brake side rear wheel bearing was also played up. Fourth one on that side. Only the third on the drive side, which felt okay, but my trusted friend, Josh, who found the bad bearing says, "Change them both." I believe in this guy! :thumbsup::luigi:

The last bearings were made in China and lasted 1/2 as long as the OEM, Euro-made stuff. I'm trying to source better made bearings.

So . . . when that tire needs changed, folks: Wheels Off Maintenance Checklist!

• Like 2

Yes docc source some decent brand bearings, Timken, SKF, Koyo etc.

After you install the new bearings can you report back on how the bearing feels to turn by finger. I suspect these may actually need bearings with C2 or C3 clearance for greater life.

ciao

• Like 2

I seem to replace bearings at every 3rd or fourth tire change. Always use SKF most of the time. Usually bearing condition isn’t  horrible but not worth the risk of running a shagged bearing. FWIW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, czakky said:

My post was a little jumbled. Sorry ‘merican public schools and all. 

Its been edited.

Ah, okay. I thought my initial post was kinda busy and went some different directions. But that's what inspection during maintenance can do . . .

Clutch reservoir looks low.  Closer inspection reveals the replacement slave cylinder is weeping. Now, I am  too. :(

I suppose I can install my original while waiting for bearings and brake pads . . .

Buddy , with bearings now . I don't know which brand is best .  I would buy SKF deep groove bearings . I used to have that info in the basket next to me but..... 

Just make sure it is not Made in China . Everything from chewing gum to dog food is made there now . UGH !

• Like 1

Trying to get a couple of the Guzzi dealers to tell me who makes their available  bearings and where they are from.

Last Timken we saw were Chinese. Same with the Federal Mogul that just played up.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:35 PM, gstallons said:

You should be able to have someone post a bearing part # . The base # should be the same with all companies . Anyone can cross part #s .

Yeah, that's how I ended up with these "Federal Mogul" branded "National" and made in China.  Maybe 20,000 miles is "not too bad" (bad, but not too bad) for the brake side rear bearing, but 40k would be better!

When my drive side rear wheel bearing failed I found the bearing spacer was too short so I shimmed it to stop it loading the bearing. I did however notice that the bearings felt a little tight when installed and I postulated about fitting bearings with more radial clearance.

ciao

• Thanks 1