rear bearings and brake

docc

So far, I am not surprised by who is admitting to being on the Nut Side . . . :grin:

That said, I did wind the axle in from the drive side in the hopes of releasing any "lateral loads" along that busy axle. One can hope . . .

9 hours ago, andy york said:

And to what do you torque your nut too?:whistle:

120 Nm rear/ 90 Nm front

From the Workshop Manual.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have an answer for who sells them other than from them or over the net.

Way back when ... I had everything in my rear drive micro blued and polished. My ring gear had some abnormal wear on the teeth...as in it 

appeared like a bad hardening of the steel. I had them do it all ...bearings and gears. They were up in Minn or Wis at the time.

Appears they have moved to N.C. or maybe someone bought them out. That was about 4 computers ago. Don't know if I have any of the 

correspondence from then.

I must admit, the spin down test is truly remarkable. And I'm still running that rear drive at 125,000 miles. 

• Like 1

500 mile inspection after the new spacers, new wheel bearings, and replacement reardrive (including moving the shaft to the pinion). With the exception of a little excess Klüber Staburags grease to wipe off from the drive hub, all bearings are smooth with no lateral play, no signs of gear oil, no pinion play what-so-ever, shaft witness marks spot on, no metal on the drain plug. Discarding the "flush" oil (50:50 Redline SP/LW and 70-90 Mob1) and refilling with straight RLSP/LW.

Eight weeks to the South'n Spine Raid . . . :race::drink:

IMG_9128.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, FuelCooler said:

I replaced my stock (tire) valve stems with 83 degree angled stems, replaced the front wheel bearings and disc hardware (now titanium).

Rear wheel bearings and disc hardware coming up next.

Get a good measure on that internal rear wheel spacer! 113 mm ! (Accept no less!)

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8882.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks doc, 

Will do! I made sure the front spacer was ‘proud’ of the bearing bore inner face before tapping the second bearing in place. 
 I know the rear bearing spacers are the more troublesome of the two. I had a rear go in my old V11, back in 2009-ish. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, docc said:

Get a good measure on that internal rear wheel spacer! 113 mm ! (Accept no less!)

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8882.jpg

Mine measures 4.428 inches, or roughly 112.5 mm. I have a 0.8 mm bearing spacer to bring it to 113.3 mm. I believe that should work, what do you think? Too long?

1 hour ago, FuelCooler said:

Mine measures 4.428 inches, or roughly 112.5 mm. I have a 0.8 mm bearing spacer to bring it to 113.3 mm. I believe that should work, what do you think? Too long?

Expand  

That is a good question. If my math is correct, that is 0.006" longer than mine. Not sure if that would be harmful to the bearings. I decided to use C3 rated KOYO to get more lateral tolerance.