2019 Guzzi Riders in New Mexico (GRIN) - Datil, NM

bbolesaz

My plan was to ride to Datil by way of the Devil's Highway.  Turned out another group was going the same way on the same day, so I hooked up with them. We met at 5:00AM at the usual departure gas station.  I am on my V11 Sport Scura.  There were 2 Guzzi Grisos, 2 Buells and 3 Harleys in the group.

1.jpg

At our 1st gas stop in Globe, problems develop.  One of the Harleys key fob battery dies and the bike cannot unlock and start.  Amazingly, the Circle K we got gas at has the correct key fob battery, but a half hour is killed here.

2.jpg

About 30 miles outside of Globe, I'm leading when I notice the group has stopped behind me.  I pull over, wait around for about 20 minutes.  2 Guzzi bikes go past me, but I don't get a good look at them.  I follow them to Safford anyhow.  Turns out to not be the 2 Guzzi's in the original group. They say the group is pulled over and hanging out back near Globe.
OK, so I've lost the group.  Worse things than a nice run up the Devil's Highway by yourself.
BTW, one of the Buell's had a wiring problem and stopped cold.  The group was waiting for a tow truck to come hual the Buell back to Phoenix.

So anyhow, I have a really fun run up US-191. Here's a pix of the Scura about 1/2 way for a rest break.

3.jpg

There was a group of 10 bikes from Texas.  Having local knowledge of the road, I passed them up easily.  They were the only other traffic I saw. I had lunch at Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine, then headed off for the Largo Motel in Quemado, NM.  Along the way, I crossed 30K miles on the Scura. About 8K are mine.

4.jpg

Visited the rally site in Datil, NM.  Got registered and got my door prize ticket, had dinner and visited with fellow Zonie Guzzistas.

5.jpg

Saturday, I rode around the area in the morning, then spent the afternoon at the rally. Here's some shots of the bikes lined up.  There were 78 attendees, down a bit from last year.  Suprising, since the weather was spectaclular for the weekend.  85 and no monsoon rain at all.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The bike show winner was this beautiful restoration of a V7.

10.jpg

The grand prize this year was a '70's Guzzi California, with custom seat, Harley top box, what looks like Krauser bags and the most immaculate Vetter Windjammer fairing I've seen in 40 years. And no, I didn't win it.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Ride home Sunday was marred by a huge 2 semi truck accident and fire just outside of Rye. Fortunately no one seriously hurt. But traffic backed up for miles on big downhill between Payson and Rye.
Since it was downhill, that helped me since I just shut my engine off and coasted my bike and I didn't have to worry about it overheating. Maybe I did some lane splitting also. Or maybe not. Even with that, took more than 1 hour from Payson to Rye.
(news images)

13.jpg

14.png

Thanks to Matt for all the work to put the rally on.  Very enjoyable event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brian,

Sorry I missed Datil this year.  Who was at the Largo?  JJ was camping, Andy and Nolan didn't come.

I'm was just back from a 5 day, 1500 ride thru the upper midwest to Colorado.  My butt just wasn't ready for another 3 days.

Let me know if you are thinking about Lake Henshaw.

Mike 

Mike, mine was one of only 3 Guzzi's at the Largo.  A guy from NM and a guy from Florida !! were the other 2.  I have a cabin reserved for Lake Henshaw, but not 100% sure I can go. Will finalize in Sept.

• 3 months later...