V11 sport inexpensive exhaust mods

ajsmith184

18 hours ago, motortouring said:

They give it a nice upswept look. 👍🏼

They are the footrest that came with the Ti kit or the Sport 1100’s

they come up for sale once in a while.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A set of stainless oval Mistral exhaust from MG Cycles for my 2002 V11 LeMans cost $671.00 They only cost $568.00 from Stein Dinse shipping included.

• Thanks 2

MG has to pay to have it shipped to them from the EU BEFORE they can sell it..they aren't a big company like Stein Dinse.., and the Euro is at an all time low at the moment.  Not easy to be a small buisness in America during these times.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:42 PM, ajsmith184 said:

I am lucky and get a phone from my employer :grin:

Hard for me to justify an exhaust that's 25% of the current value on these when they are 18 years old. 

You're not the first.

This for me is a "sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" scenario. If you check other brand bikes, decent aftermarket exhaust are all ridiculously expensive. One either has to pay the piper or figure a work around. Also consider that few are making new stock for the V11, too old a bike. The "work around" is going to save $ but cost in effort. #1 the easiest is 'hopefully' finding used in good condition, Slim chances, but possible. #2 Build it. with slip-on cans not meant for the V11 but are "close". So a straight through can of the correct/similar inlet diameter designed for a 600, 750, 1000cc bike, wouldn't technically be so different that it couldn't be used. Then what's left is the 45'ish' degree mid-pipe that will require fabrication. (and tuning)

example, ...while waiting to find MG Ti pipes I found these... Kaw ZX 10 ?year? once very pricey, now on close out $175 each. Ti, nearly same size weight as MG Ti, has removable mid pipe (Kaw midpipe won't work) and an 'anywhere' CF hanger ...AND are usable on either side of a V11 with the logo being left off and the seam is at the bottom. I got some stainless 45 degree bends from a pipe maker and the id/od and od/id all lined up with a little work. The bend needed some finesse and while I was doing that I found the MG kit, and this project went back on the shelf. I had considered cutting the mids off the stock cans but....    I'll get a round tuit.

So it can be done inexpensively but it takes some effort.

bonus, these came with metal logos for rivet install, or vinyl stickers. bonus bonus, they're Italian

3217794-kawasaki_zx-10rninja_7113.jpg

• Like 2

For what it's worth; My first year roadracing was 1987 on a Suzuki GSXR 750. I raced production, where no modifications beyond suspension were allowed (LOL) but a lot of guys rode the same bike in Superstock, where you could ditch the airbox and use a premium exhaust. Scott Russell showed up with a separate bike for each class; but the Superstock bike still had the airbox and stock exhaust. Since he was sponsored by Yoshimura iirc, I asked about it. His chief said the bike made more power with better delivery with the stock airbox minus filter and the stock muffler gutted than any other combination they'd found. I remember a couple years where the Yamaha FZR 1000 guys kept the stock headpipes and just put cans on the back. 
Sometimes it's smoke and mirrors. I have Mistral cans on mine, because the PO put the stock mufflers back on and I wanted the noise but I'd be interested in a true side by side dyno comparison of stock vs modified vs cans only. Crossovers have been done.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, 4corsa said:

Delkevic makes good quality, inexpensive carbon fiber slip-ons - I have one on my VFR800. I'm sure they have some with the same diameter pipe. The only thing is you'll have to fabricate custom bracket hangers to work with your V11. It will reduce your exhaust back pressure, so best to tune with a Power Commander or Guzzidiag.

Delkevic no longer lists Moto Guzzi slip-ons on their website (https://delkevic.com/)

• Thanks 1