Show us your tools

Lucky Phil

It does have the appearance of a "pre-production" tool, (homemade). Have you used this for it's intended purpose?.  I checked my K75 tool kit and that part was not included, my second stab would not only be a wrench, but also a gauge of some sort.

Paul B:bier:

31 minutes ago, paulnaz said:

It does have the appearance of a "pre-production" tool, (homemade). Have you used this for it's intended purpose?.  I checked my K75 tool kit and that part was not included, my second stab would not only be a wrench, but also a gauge of some sort.

"Pre-production" . . . I like that!  :thumbsup:

This just appeared in a tool roll on a salvage bike. Not sure what it is. It was slipped in the little pocket of the tool roll, so looked like "it belongs." :huh2:

Kinda reminds me of a float adjustment tool, but not entirely. And there is no saying it is actually for the K75 it came with. Could have been for the guy's Coleman camp stove! :grin:

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, docc said:

Talk of balancing tools reminded me I have this ALFA Romeo relic:

Hey docc, you mention restrictors in the manometer lines. Any idea of the size of the hole drilled in them? Have two vacuum gauges and am constructing a bush mechanic carb balancer. 

37 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Hey docc, you mention restrictors in the manometer lines. Any idea of the size of the hole drilled in them? Have two vacuum gauges and am constructing a bush mechanic carb balancer. 

That must have been someone else's comment.  I've only used my Hg sticks and they don't have restrictors . . . :huh2:

40 minutes ago, docc said:

That must have been someone else's comment.  I've only used my Hg sticks and they don't have restrictors . . . :huh2:

My bad. Well, here goes some experimentation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, po18guy said:

My bad. Well, here goes some experimentation.

They are tiny. I'll walk down to the shop and get my welding tip cleaners to use as a gauge..

Edit: Ok, I'm back. Hope you have a really small drill set. :) Mine is .018".

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

They are tiny. I'll walk down to the shop and get my welding tip cleaners to use as a gauge..

Edit: Ok, I'm back. Hope you have a really small drill set. :) Mine is .018".

Thank you! I scored a couple of new 270º sweep vacuum gauges for $3 and change at a local surplus outfit. Their destiny was immediately apparent to me. 0.018" you say? Well, I have some Keihin jets from a couple of Kawasaki jet kits that I can slip into the hose and try. Kawi pilot jets are even smaller than that - 0.014" IIRC. I have mercury sticks, but I am somewhat ill at ease knowing that it could be ingested with one of my ham-handed slips of the wrist. 

Thanks again - it gives me a baseline.

• 4 weeks later...

Another of my Grandfathers old tools. I've had it for years all covered in surface rust awaiting a refurb which I got around to last week. The bluing didnt turn out perfectly but thats ok as it adds to the patina a little. I believe its for use as a marking out tool on a surface plate? Chuck might be able to fill in the details? Starrett  made in England and I'd guess somewhere around 75 years old, maybe more.

DSC01180.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulnaz said:

Very early Height gauge and yes, used on a surface plate. Cool tool even if it"s just for display now.

Sorry, it is a *surface* gauge. You can measure height with a height gauge. I have one out in the shop, but I'm too lazy to go out and take a picture. A surface gauge is not obsolete.. it is still as useful as it ever was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

Sorry, it is a *surface* gauge. You can measure height with a height gauge. I have one out in the shop, but I'm too lazy to go out and take a picture. A surface gauge is not obsolete.. it is still as useful as it ever was.

I've also found out with the addition of a V block its good for locating the centre of any round object. Also for getting a piece set up close in a 4 jaw chuck.

Ciao