3rd bike: V65 Florida Cafe project

Tinus89

Hello people,

As my V11 and Caponord are going towards "finished" (read: reliable), and this COVID-19 has ruled out most social things as well as holidays, I've decided to start a dream of mine: build a cafe racer scrambler.

The victim (and thus my 3rd bike) is a V65 Florida with 45.000km. She runs fine, but is in need to TLC (and stripping). Oh and yes, that guy is me:ph34r:

IMG-20200411-WA0012.jpg

I'll probably mostly use this topic for the build progress (it will be multi-year project) and technical questions, simply because this is one of the best forums in the world!

So far I've done a little tune-up and rode her for 150km, just for a shakedown.

Question:

I've worked mostly on FI bikes. This one had a stuck choke cable (in the LH carburetor), which I worked free. However, when I apply choke when she is cold, the seems to drown in fuel on the LH cylinder. I've already flushed the LH carburetor, what else can I try? Disassemble and ultrasonic bath?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gstallons said:

What is this ? Dellorto  carbs ? What model are they ?

V65 Florida, Dellorto PHBH 30 carbs.

Correct. Cold start without choke is fine (on the throttle to keep her running the first 3-5min), as soon as I choke she dies on the LH cylinder.

Yesterday evening I disassembled and cleaned the entire carbs (carb cleaner + compressed air trough all galleries/jets). Nothing worrysome to find. Reassembled and restarted: exact same behavior.

I'm considering temporarely swapping L/R to see if the problem moves with the carb.

54 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Probably the choke is hanging up. At any rate a good clean up is in order. They aren't rocket science..:oldgit:

Define "hanging up"? It runs fine with the choke closed...

It's been a long time since I've seen one. Do they have the piston like the bigger ones? A cable can keep the plunger from seating once opened.. weak return spring, cable binding up, that sort of thing. I'd make sure all that is totally free.

• 6 months later...

Hi all! I have been FAR too quiet here, apologies for this! I'm checking in with an update on the build, which I should have done more. Apologies.

On the carbs, I will have them ultrasonic cleaned in the near future and have bought new choke plungers and a seal kit.

I know some people may very much dislike what I have done to her so far, which is OK, but do remind yourself that this started life as a hideous white Florida, so anything is an improvement....

20200913-184349.jpg

I also have a question. I was thinking about keeping both mudguards in bare/brushed aluminium. How do you keep that looking nice?

This is the front mudguard: 

[20201115-175049.jpg

Edited by Tinus89
Fixed the pics
  • Like 1

Hi, if you just brush on ACF50 sparcely and wipe the surplus off with a rag it will keep it free of corrosion for a long time.

I use it on all my guzzi bare (unpainted) crankcases also for the last 20 years with great success.

Good luck with your build, i love the wheels but question the tank,its too bulky to look fast...

• Like 1

Yes indeed, the tank is big. I don't mind. Keep in mind the goal is a scrambler (less need to look fast compared to a cafe racer), it does not yet have shocks installed (yes to fotoguzzi, I will add shocks) and no fenders & exhausts yet. Also no carbs & filters. Adding all those will add to the body of the total bike and make the tank look smaller again. I'll update once I have those installed with another picture:).

Thanks for the tip on ACF-50, I'll buy that.

Also maybe nice to share: rate my u-joint. Discovered upon removal of the rear swingarm, did not notice anything during driving....

20200910-210050.jpg

• Sad 1