Timing Gear set

Ray Sandoz

You know how many complaints or even suggestions of dissatisfaction I've heard about Joe's gears?

None! Not one! Nada!

If you want gears they are the ONLY decent option.

The End.

Oh, and John, i Havant been ignoring you. I've just been busy with a lot of non motorbike crap. I'll PM you when I have a moment. Sorry.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just append to this one.
I've installed my Caruso gears, I'll add a sound file if I can figure out how to do that after it's on the ground.

I was surprised at how much sludge was in the bottom of the front chaincase. I'm now installing my own Roper Plate, we'll see what the bottom of the pan looks like.

Also, I discovered that my cam sensor clearance is...frighteningly close. .002" or so, but with zero witness marks on the sensor after 15k miles I'll not touch it.

AM-JKLVpbJejiQT9RiV1zYcKdcGuhlKuDbqsfYMc

AM-JKLVErJlmp79RzU3F_nNtaTkbU8WepwfpmIWy

Whoopsy- imagine my surprise when I actually got the centerpunch and drill straight enough to save the original threads.

AM-JKLUhL_FQ6wJ6_jCmxVX5XzQmy1yA0ikpWj16

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just append to this one.
I've installed my Caruso gears, I'll add a sound file if I can figure out how to do that after it's on the ground.

I was surprised at how much sludge was in the bottom of the front chaincase. I'm now installing my own Roper Plate, we'll see what the bottom of the pan looks like.

Also, I discovered that my cam sensor clearance is...frighteningly close. .002" or so, but with zero witness marks on the sensor after 15k miles I'll not touch it.

AM-JKLVpbJejiQT9RiV1zYcKdcGuhlKuDbqsfYMc

AM-JKLVErJlmp79RzU3F_nNtaTkbU8WepwfpmIWy

Whoopsy- imagine my surprise when I actually got the centerpunch and drill straight enough to save the original threads.

AM-JKLUhL_FQ6wJ6_jCmxVX5XzQmy1yA0ikpWj16

I wouldn't leave it with 0.002" clearance myself. Or is that 0.020".

Ciao 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

YES PLEASE!👏 

...would absolutely love to hear the aural side effect one gets for their money.

If it was somewhat akin to aural sex going hard thru the gears it might be a worthy accompaniment to a good set of pipes!

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I wouldn't leave it with 0.002" clearance myself. Or is that 0.020".

Ciao 

2 things here- First, it's been that way for ~15k miles and there's no evidence of contact.
Second, my measurement is imperfect. I used a feeler gauge, and the tip of the sensor is not perfectly flat so the 'sensor' part is slightly retracted from the edges. Also, I didn't have the gear on so there's some possibility that the trigger was not in perfect alignment as it is tightened. 
I *think* I checked it when I replaced the sensor when I first got the bike by the normal 'remove the spacer and test' method, but I don't recall distinctly. I'm quite familiar with trigger and wheel inductive sensors; the spec for all of them is usually .025" plus or minus .005". The signal strength decreases by the square of the distance, so closer is better; the clearance is not for signal but rather for imprecision in tolerance such as out of round or crank flex, or in the case of wheel speed sensors, debris collection. So yes there would be a concern if it was a new install, but proof's in the pudding and I'd worry more about causing some running change than suddenly contacting the trigger. 

But now you've made me overthink it. Who sells shims?

15 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

2 things here- First, it's been that way for ~15k miles and there's no evidence of contact.
Second, my measurement is imperfect. I used a feeler gauge, and the tip of the sensor is not perfectly flat so the 'sensor' part is slightly retracted from the edges. Also, I didn't have the gear on so there's some possibility that the trigger was not in perfect alignment as it is tightened. 
I *think* I checked it when I replaced the sensor when I first got the bike by the normal 'remove the spacer and test' method, but I don't recall distinctly. I'm quite familiar with trigger and wheel inductive sensors; the spec for all of them is usually .025" plus or minus .005". The signal strength decreases by the square of the distance, so closer is better; the clearance is not for signal but rather for imprecision in tolerance such as out of round or crank flex, or in the case of wheel speed sensors, debris collection. So yes there would be a concern if it was a new install, but proof's in the pudding and I'd worry more about causing some running change than suddenly contacting the trigger. 

But now you've made me overthink it. Who sells shims?

HMB Guzzi, Stein Dinse.

Ciao

6 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

HMB Guzzi, Stein Dinse.

Ciao

Thanks.
Now this is turning into a sensor thread.
The failed sensor I bought the bike with was swelled badly enough that it was hard to remove. I wonder if that's something that could push the sensor tip nearer the trigger, without actually failing the sensor.

FWIW, back when I used to work on Centauros for guys that couldn't find a dealer to do it, :rolleyes: I found one sensor that had actually been milled by the flywheel.

Still worked.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

FWIW, back when I used to work on Centauros for guys that couldn't find a dealer to do it, :rolleyes: I found one sensor that had actually been milled by the flywheel.

Still worked.

My Centauro engine had been contacting the sensor as well when I bought it. Don't know if it was affecting running but it deposits metal in the oil.

Ciao

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gstallons said:

It happens and all reasoning says NO it should not work . I don't see how ?

The tip is not critical to function, to a point. 

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/369212/inductive-sensor-how-does-it-work

• Thanks 1

Ok, up and running.

I of course adjusted the valves, the exhausts were very tight cold, which explains why it had been a little snotty to start and warm up. My bad, it's probably been 7k miles since last adjustment. 
Valves aside, the thing started better than ever, it seems, and even 1/2 warm it idles at 1250rpm or so, up from ~1k-ish. Somebody elsewhere said that was their experience too, so there be a rebalancing coming soon. The gears are not as loud as some were hoping, they're pretty hard to discern above the valve clatter. Overall it hits me as far more happy and stable than with the chain (and tight valves). 
Here's your movie short.

Joe's Gears

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1