Tech Spec Tank Grip

4corsa

37 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

...also depends on how many hours per year the bike is left in the sun, how often it's waxed, etc.  Not to mention, even with clear tank grip, the paint will age differently under the grip pad than the surrounding paint that is exposed to the elements.  

I've never found that to be the case. My cars have had 3M clear bras fitted to them for years and never had fade lines when removed. The very early 3M clear adhesive used to yellow a little over time but the later ones dont. On top of that the 3M if you use it is "self healing" when it gets scuffed up if you leave it in the sun it will self repair or you can use a heat gun on it and watch the damage fade away. Quite brilliant technology and cheap for the quantities you need on a bike. This is why people with high end sports cars Ferraris etc get them completely clear bra'd before they even drive them off the show room floor.

Ciao  

Two very different products. The 3m film is flat, ultra-clear, and less than 1mm thick. Stompgrip and Techspec are probably 3 or 4mm thick with intentionally uneven surfaces or "cleats" that are another 3mm long. The paint underneath will not be the same after a few years.  Certainly won't be as bad as with a solid color, but you will see a difference from the surrounding paint.

• 3 weeks later...

In spite of the paint fade issue, I’ve put a set of these on my tank. Thanks for posting on these 4corsa! They do help with the feel of the bike while braking. I’d not really had a concern with this until I graduated from riding in Levi 501’s to some Klim riding pants. Those are some slippery duds! I guess they’re suppose to slide.These tank grips pretty much negate that problem.

8753F72B-AE1D-4A9F-BC68-AEE7C39F67FE.jpeg

• Like 2

Great! And the more you start consciously squeezing the tank with your knees, you'll be taking some weight off your wrists and using your core muscles more as well.  Beautiful bike!

• Like 3

^^^^Yeah, when the old farts complain about their wrists and neck hurting as they age, I always say.. "Hit the gym. Build your core strength." It put me back on sport bikes when I was 60, and I still ride em.. er, *several* years later. :huh2:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kane said:

In spite of the paint fade issue, I’ve put a set of these on my tank. Thanks for posting on these 4corsa! They do help with the feel of the bike while braking. I’d not really had a concern with this until I graduated from riding in Levi 501’s to some Klim riding pants. Those are some slippery duds! I guess they’re suppose to slide.These tank grips pretty much negate that problem.

8753F72B-AE1D-4A9F-BC68-AEE7C39F67FE.jpeg

I actually like the aesthetics of these on a Greenie with the caveat of the paint implications of course. Breaks up the expanse of green somewhat. My issue is from a practical point is that at 6'2" in the old money with long legs my inner thighs and knees simply dont fit in the cut outs anyway.

Ciao 

On 7/6/2020 at 2:18 PM, al_roethlisberger said:

Yeah, and the shape of the V11 Sport tank's hard slab sides tend to dig into the inside my knees over time and hurt, so something soft might be really comfortable.  I'll probably look into these too.

They have a rubber called C3 that sounds more cushy than the Snake Skin rubber.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, KINDOY2 said:

Tech Spec still has them  ...for the V-11 as 4-corsa said at the beginning of this thread, they just don't list them on their site. If you contact them they have them listed as " Custom"  and make them up fast for you.

I have purchased a couple sets from them not too long ago.

Thanks, I'll ask them if they would ship to the UK

• Like 1

Tech Spec will make them for you and ship fast, no problem. I am still running with mine on the tank, and they work great. However, they will rub off and stain your pants. If you ride with light colored pants and grip the tank you may end up with stains that are hard to get out.

Case in point:

EB3DC835-5FA0-40C8-B941-6B0D82E63152.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I sent TechSpec an email through their "Contact Us" link to see if they still can make the "Snake Skin" side tank pads for the V11 Sport/Lemans.

Motorcycle Tank Grips and Tank Pads - TechSpec-USA Gripster Tank Grips™

I meant to follow-up on this back when this thread was started, but never did.

From an aesthetic perspective, the look is probably polarizing, but I think it may look pretty cool & retro.  

But more importantly, I remember my inner knee really getting a bit sore at times banging into the hard tank after riding for several hours, so this pad may help.

I'll provide an update if and when they respond.

20 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

I sent TechSpec an email through their "Contact Us" link to see if they still can make the "Snake Skin" side tank pads for the V11 Sport/Lemans.

Motorcycle Tank Grips and Tank Pads - TechSpec-USA Gripster Tank Grips™

I meant to follow-up on this back when this thread was started, but never did.

From an aesthetic perspective, the look is probably polarizing, but I think it may look pretty cool & retro.  

But more importantly, I remember my inner knee really getting a bit sore at times banging into the hard tank after riding for several hours, so this pad may help.

I'll provide an update if and when they respond.

They make em but its not on their site..I had a set made last year..and the year before, you have to call them and ask them to look in their "special orders" file they will find the template there and then they can makethem...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1