Bar-end mirrors on custom bar-end weights

jolly135

As I chase down rabbit holes to solve issues with low production number bikes I find that the market simply doesn't meet my "needs", so I started designing some of my own parts to accomplish what I needed or wanted.  some simple in thought, some more complex, and this is all in my spare time.

I've designed about 12 or so different parts for my early Buells (S2, S1, X1..) to change things that I felt needed to be addressed (modified) that didnt exist within the market, sure if I was riding, collecting Ducatis, there would have been a ready supply of anything I wanted.... NOT a knock against Ducati, quite the opposite... but I'm drawn to lower production bikes, which means lower number of parts and solutions.

A very common complaint on these V11 variants is the lack of after market or OEM support with bar end mirrors due to the way the bar end weights are designed to thread in, so I worked out a design with a new machinist, which added to the complexity, but was a necessary evil since I had recently retired from the USAF and moved back to the midwest.

These are designed for a very specific Rizoma mirror (Class Retro) that I wanted on my bike, these are big bikes with lots of shape and in my opinion need a mirror that works with the bike and compliments the lines of the bike and that FUNCTION!  I found all of this while riding a buddies Ducati Monster that had these mirrors, and knew I had found my mirror of choice but they wouldn't fit the bike... I have been down this road far too many times with mods to my tube-frame Buells.

The bar-ends needed to fit and function like the OEM design, and needed to be heavy, but needed to fit the Rizoma ID mirror mount.  and for added bonus, I had a channel for an o-ring cut that put a slight pressure bump against the inside of the mirror mount so that they were a slight pressure slip fit, in this manner they would stay put as you got them into perfect position, anyone that's messed with bar end mirrors knows its a bit of "fiddelsome" thing to find the right position holding with one hand, tightening with the other and then holding position while you actually get into how you sit on the bike to ride....

I did have a few extra sets made to make available here, but with new kids I just haven't gotten around to it.

I had two different types made to account for early model and late model (2002 year break) as there were thread pitch differences between the early model and late model year groups...

they are made from heavy steel, I do not remember what grade as they needed to function like the OEM to balance out the vibrations, then iridite coated (if memory serves me correctly...) to protect them like the OEM bar end weights.

Early up to 2001 were single piece weights and bar ends, 2002 and later had like 7 pieces that made up the bar end weight and the bar end.

These are one piece (well two if you count the o-ring).... and are correctly thread pitched to match early or late model design thread pitch.

I do have sets left........ 

thumbnail.jpg

bar end close up.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Micky Mouse ears.

Ciao

Funny, that's what I always thought of the factory mirrors.  I had my bar end weights machined down to accept CRG mirrors pretty early on. The Rizoma are certainly much more nicely made.

I'll have to check my dimensioned drawings, but I suspect these custom bar ends would also work for the CRG clamps . . .

• Like 1

I like what the OP has done. I am a fan of bar end mirrors. But the wife isn't, and the V11 is her baby.

I feel compelled to point out, though, that another option is to upgrade the original bars / clip-ons themselves.

I see I had the factory bar ends machined six months after I got the Sport to fit the CRG bar ends; 0.875" (7/8") and a space of 0.435" for the CRG clamp. Great thing is @jolly135 's bar end weights are made without a "gap" and would fit any 7/8" mounting clamp.

Not sure what these pieces might cost, but I remember my tightly specified dimensions encouraged the local machine shop to charge me $85US back in 2001.

2 hours ago, docc said:

I see I had the factory bar ends machined six months after I got the Sport to fit the CRG bar ends; 0.875" (7/8") and a space of 0.435" for the CRG clamp. Great thing is @jolly135 's bar end weights are made without a "gap" and would fit any 7/8" mounting clamp.

Not sure what these pieces might cost, but I remember my tightly specified dimensions encouraged the local machine shop to charge me $85US back in 2001.

These bar ends, just by the look of them in photos, are heavy! Just the ticket for the vibey v twin handlebar. I'm with you docc on the CRG's. 'lane splitters' are on another bike of mine and are destined for the '00 Sport should I keep her :unsure:

The Rizoma's certainly are of very high quality, but for myself unfortunately, just seem too modern for the V11's classic look. I realize others see the V11 differently than I. I could never, for example, do with standard riser type handlebars on any Guzzi sport bike. Just me.

Let's be honest. mirrors are a necessary evil. Imo they should be subdued, not celebrated. This = small and black. jolly135 bar ends and crg's would suit me perfectly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, footgoose said:

These bar ends, just by the look of them in photos, are heavy! Just the ticket for the vibey v twin handlebar. I'm with you docc on the CRG's. 'lane splitters' are on another bike of mine and are destined for the '00 Sport should I keep her :unsure:

The Rizoma's certainly are of very high quality, but for myself unfortunately, just seem too modern for the V11's classic look. I realize others see the V11 differently than I. I could never, for example, do with standard riser type handlebars on any Guzzi sport bike. Just me.

Let's be honest. mirrors are a necessary evil. Imo they should be subdued, not celebrated. This = small and black. jolly135 bar ends and crg's would suit me perfectly.

Not everyone loves bar end mirrors, or even mirrors of any kind. Kinda like turn signals and fenders. Don't get me going on how awful I think my panniers make my Sport look.

Here are the CRG with the clip on-weights I had turned down. I like jolly135's solution. I would be all over them if I had not gone this route already.

barends.JPG

• Like 1

Like all things Guzzi, nothing is simple or standard...... God Bless em!!!

Pre-2002 bare end mirors were one piece with a outside weight OD of approx 25.80mm

I found inconsistencies in the pre-2002 measurements depending on who manufactured them, there was apparently a second mfg whos tolerances, only closely matched the original on the weight, since it didnt matter it was an "air" dimension... it just existed to be...

2002 + years were 7 pieces with a weight OD of approx 31.53

my design, incorporated the one piece design of the pre 2002, with the OD of the 2002 plus (At the fattest part they match the 2002 Plus, but step down to accept the Rizomas with an OD of 29.80)  as they seemed to fit the bike better in terms of fit/finish, and with the larger OD, I could set them to slip-fit the Rizomas.

here is a picture of all three, 

top: pre 2002

middle 2002 plus

bottom: my design

all three versions.jpg

I started out with a set of OEM with a channel turned to accept the CRG lane splitters

OEM with channels cut for CRG.jpg

I decided with the size of the bike, style of the bike, and my personal preferences, and over 50 vision... that I wanted better mirrors so had to design mine to accept the Rizomas.

here is a comparison of the CRGs and the Rizomas.

they look close in size in the photo, but the Rizomas are actually noticeably bigger and better glass, plus with the longer arm they moved the mirrors out of the way of elbow, I no longer had to move my arm at all to see behind me.

CRG vs Rizoma.jpg

• Like 1