Ti silencer packing

PDBoulder

Has anyone repacked their Ti mufflers? Mine had some dents, so I decided to open them up and work out the dents. Once open, I observed that the packing was unique and burned at one end to the point that replacement is necessary. Can anyone direct me to a source of new packing for these oval cans?

Paul

3 hours ago, PDBoulder said:

Has anyone repacked their Ti mufflers? Mine had some dents, so I decided to open them up and work out the dents. Once open, I observed that the packing was unique and burned at one end to the point that replacement is necessary. Can anyone direct me to a source of new packing for these oval cans?

Paul

I just use ceiling insulation batt material.

Ciao

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PDBoulder said:

Paul

There is a post about repair of those Titanium mufflers here:  https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13524-repairing-a-ti-can/

• Thanks 1

What I noticed about the packing was that it is dense and oval. Seems like it is adding support to the thin shell. The 2 stroke exhaust I have repacked in the past was always round and straight forward. 

IMG_0436 (1).jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have much experience with Ti cans, but I just cut into a Satintune can trying to repair it. They used stainless steel wool for the packing pretty sure its 434 alloy just slightly magnetic. Water is a by product of combustion and combustion is never complete so you end up with products like carbonic acid or nitric acid its not just a heat issue. They ended up using about a #3 grade.

I wouldn't use stainless steel wool directly against your Ti skin but make a hybrid packing. Lay some lateral strips to build up the oval shape and use your old winding to finalize it. The old packing doesn't look that bad just clean it up with some dawn dish soap. Let it soak a couple days and rinse. No offense but there is not much stoichiometry happening there, its not burnt its probably just soot.

One thing I did find interesting when I cut into the Satintune can is the lack of packing material right where the perforated tube entered the muffler. It was definitely about an inch and a half that was bared. It was there for a reason why I don't know. I never heard the Ti cans but when you pull the db killers out of the Staintune its about the most perfect sound I can imagine for the V11.

• Like 1