Can a leaking V11 LeMans tank be patched

milar

Here's a link to a video.  The tank is brand new.  Purchased a couple of weeks ago.  Probably been sitting for 18 years on a shelf.

Mike

It's a crack that runs vertically near the hold down bolt.  It appears to go thru the tank.  You can barely see it on the video.  

Mike  

• Like 1

Crap.. that isn't leaking.. it's pouring. :o Having it running probably isn't the best idea, IHMO. Yes, you should be able to do a good epoxy/fiberglass repair if it is where it appears to be. Prep is all important.

6 hours ago, milar said:

It's a crack that runs vertically near the hold down bolt.  It appears to go thru the tank.  You can barely see it on the video.  

Mike  

I think I can see the crack. Is it to the right of the triangular anchoring tab? I recently did a trial repair on a junk side panel just to see if it worked. I used JB Weld clear weld. A 2 part epoxy that comes in a convenient double syringe to use at your leisure. With proper prep ( a bit of grinding and sanding ) and the use of a small scrap of carbon fiber, it made for a very strong bond. The epoxy bonds well and is hard as a rock. I was bonding two pieces, so to strengthen I drilled some holes for the epoxy to get a good hold. I also applied everything to both sides which you won't need to do. Get a small burr grinder (dremel is good) and grind past the ends of the crack a ways. I'd probably line the tank after.

I do not know if the tank and the side panel are made of the same material. It's possible they are not.

IMG-1475fix6.JPG

IMG-1498.JPG

IMG-1508.JPG

• Like 1

>I think I can see the crack. Is it to the right of the triangular anchoring tab?

Yes, that is it.  It's visible enough I need to be certain any patch will not be visible.

Mike

Well, the tank is a "Nylon" (a polyamide derivative) and the starter cover is likely ABS (a styrene derivative).  A "reinforced composite" (combination of bonding agent/epoxy with a substrate like glass fiber or metal particles) will work on either (with proper prep, as Chuck has said).

In this case, I would be inclined to bond a reinforcement plate (maybe a shaped aluminum plate) to reinforce the rear mounting point for the tank.

I would be concerned something broke that tank (impact) and carefully inspect the two front mounting points for stress or damage . . .

• Like 1

HMMMM . You say the tank is new ? Did it look "boogered up" when you got it ? I suppose it has only the gas you installed in it when you put it on , this will make repairs easier. 

What about the old tank ?

The tank looked perfect when I got it.  I'm sure it was new.  There were no obvious nicks or imperfections that would indicate it had been dropped or damaged.  His best guess is it had been sitting on a shelf for 18 years and somehow cracked.  I'm inclined to agree with him.  I'm in touch with seller about finding a solution.

Mike

Was it hard to line up that bolt hole to get the fastener in?  Some of us have had to resort to creative antics to get a tank back on a late model Guzzi . . .

Spine%20fuel%20tank_zpsrqgxw8sh.jpg