Ohlins suspension for V11 Ballabio

TeddyG

Greetings,

A friend bought a Bellagio and wants to add Ohlins shock and forks. I own an Aprilia Tuono and was wondering if the Ohlins on Aprilia is compatible, or if anyone has experience doing so. I realize the MG Ohlins shock utilizes a remote reservoir, but perhaps a newer piggyback style can fit? Ohlins Aprilia forks need a 51mm top and 53mm bottom yoke, so also wondering if Aprilia yokes can be used. If not, he'll just have to find the used MG specific units. Thanks for any information.

• Like 2

I am guessing that it is, perhaps, not the 2007-2012 "Bellagio," but the 2004-2005 V11 "Ballabio?"

moto-guzzi-ballabio.jpg V11 Ballabio

uster-19.jpg Bellagio 940 (Were these ever sold in the US?)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chuck said:

^^^^ To the best of my knowledge.. no.

@TeddyG's buddy likely has a V11 Ballabio, then. I do not believe there is room for a piggy back reservoir on a V11 . . .

13 hours ago, TeddyG said:

Greetings,

A friend bought a Bellagio and wants to add Ohlins shock and forks. I own an Aprilia Tuono and was wondering if the Ohlins on Aprilia is compatible, or if anyone has experience doing so. I realize the MG Ohlins shock utilizes a remote reservoir, but perhaps a newer piggyback style can fit? Ohlins Aprilia forks need a 51mm top and 53mm bottom yoke, so also wondering if Aprilia yokes can be used. If not, he'll just have to find the used MG specific units. Thanks for any information.

There are more knowledgeable members on here than me , (Chuck) who will comment at some point but a few other things to consider. You're talking about changing the suspension geometry so you need to look at the offset of the yokes, the length of the forks & how that changes the height & trail of the front.

On the shock, the shaft length is important & how it affects the height of the rear of the bike.

It's not that it can't be done but it isn't to my knowledge a simple 'plug & play' operation.

I'm interested in the topic & hope the more mechanically skilled will chime in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TeddyG said:

My error- it is a Ballabio and anyone who might've done what I'm inquiring about please chime in, thanks.

I'll change your topic title to get better eyes on the topic. Welcome, TeddyG!

• docc changed the title to Ohlins suspension for V11 Ballabio
Just now, nobleswood said:

Digging a little deeper, they have the rear shock as well.

Yah, just edited the post to add that link. Not sure what to make of the prices. I mean, it is Öhlins, after all . . .

1 hour ago, docc said:

Yah, just edited the post to add that link. Not sure what to make of the prices. I mean, it is Öhlins, after all . . .

high retail for used. they've had them since last summer. I got several pieces from that bike. thing is you can't get those except from a parted out bike... DAMHIKT:unsure:

As I said over on the AF1 forum I didn't think the price utterly outrageous. I mean they will be a direct bolt-on as they are from a basically identical machine. I'm sure that something else could easily be made to work by boring the yokes or shimming the legs and some form of aftermarket shock would be aquireable but chances are it would involve a lot of buggering about and could end up being equally costly.

Really, at the end of the day, does he really want or need the top end gear or is he just wanting some extra bling? I know that if I had a V11 I'd probably want to upgrade the suspension but I'm a suspension junkie. What's it worth to your mate? If he changes his bikes like a teenage girl changes clothes then there is really little point. If the V11 is a keeper then it's probably worth coughing for the Cafe Sport suspenders.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just curious for reference sake if the Ohlins forks and shock like these from a black frame V11 will be a simple swap and work well on a red frame V11?

I’m sure that has been covered before and I’ve overlooked it.

Thanks