Formotion clock fit

Lucky Phil

Got around to doing this. Not totally enamoured by the look but a clocks a useful thing on a bike so that tips the scales. I was struggling with finding somewhere to fit it that didn't look too odd and I finally went with a bolt on fit which involved a bit of work. If anyone is interested in the process I'll add to this thread.

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

Ciao

• Like 5

I've got the smaller model of Formotion and it has held on for years on the triple clamp with double-sided tape believe it or not.  The batteries do not last long BTW - about a year in my experience.  Very useful addition. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bbennett said:

I've got the smaller model of Formotion and it has held on for years on the triple clamp with double-sided tape believe it or not.  The batteries do not last long BTW - about a year in my experience.  Very useful addition. 

Was hoping they'd last longer than a year. 

Ciao

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

FWIW.. I can't remember :oldgit::) the last time I changed the battery on the AeroLario clock, but it's been years..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was going to submit this very question because a clock is what I miss the most on my dashboard.

I am glad you made a topic about it.

Like you, I am not fully convinced by the bezel; I am going to check if they have anything different.

Arrivederci! (just kidding as you always finish your posts with "Ciao"... as you know, it can also be used when greeting.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Website says 3/4 years....

Do they glow in the dark? it is not specified in the narrative.

On 3/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, Lucky Phil said:

I finally went with a bolt on fit which involved a bit of work. If anyone is interested in the process I'll add to this thread.

I am interested in finding out how you bolted it in.

The Formotion website indicates the clock is sold with a mounting bar, but since it is not visible in the pics you included I am intrigued.

3 hours ago, p6x said:

I am interested in finding out how you bolted it in.

The Formotion website indicates the clock is sold with a mounting bar, but since it is not visible in the pics you included I am intrigued.

I was worried someone might ask this.

I wanted the clock mounted some other way than a Velcro sticky pad or a double sided pad so I made up the following.

This aluminium plug is a slight interference fit in the steering stem tube and is tapped in with some locktite on it to the required depth. The cap screw in the ctr is held in place by a rubber oring so it doesn't fall out when the clock isn't installed. So the cap screw head faces downwards and can be accessed from the bottom of the lower triple clamp up the hollow centre with quarter drive extensions and a 3mm allen head bit. 

IMG_2609.JPG 

So because you cant get a single long extension up the steering stem tube with the front wheel on you feed 4 short extensions up there as you go. The bit holder on the end has a collar I made to centralise the holder in the centre of the tube so its a simple task of feeding the extensions up the tube and connecting them 1 at a time and when the 3mm bit arrives at the allen head screw just twist it until it drops into the head. Simple and easy as the tool is centred and all you need to do is apply upward pressure and rotate until it engages.  

IMG_2611.JPG

With the triple crown nut I machined it down until it was 1mm above flush with the top of the clamp and drilled out the std hex hole round to locate the spigot on the back face of the clock. With the hex drilled out you need a way to install and tighten the top nut now so I drilled 2x 3mm holes which you use a pin wrench on. The pin wrench is the small brass tool in the image above. The object was to have the clock as close to the top surface of the triple clamp as possible but the holding force of the fixing screw was taken by the spigot on the back of the clock so the fixing screw wasn't trying the pull the spigot out the back of the clock rear cover.  

So here it is ready to slip the clock into the locating hole with one hand and with the other on the ratchet and extensions tighten it down. Easier to do than it sounds. If you had the front wheel and fender off it would just need 1, 12" 1/4 drive extension and the ratchet. 

Yes I know, sanity is in short supply here. 

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I was worried someone might ask this.

I wanted the clock mounted some other way than a Velcro sticky pad or a double sided pad so I made up the following.

This aluminium plug is a slight interference fit in the steering stem tube and is tapped in with some locktite on it to the required depth. The cap screw in the ctr is held in place by a rubber oring so it doesn't fall out when the clock isn't installed. So the cap screw head faces downwards and can be accessed from the bottom of the lower triple clamp up the hollow centre with quarter drive extensions and a 3mm allen head bit. 

So because you cant get a single long extension up the steering stem tube with the front wheel on you feed 4 short extensions up there as you go. The bit holder on the end has a collar I made to centralise the holder in the centre of the tube so its a simple task of feeding the extensions up the tube and connecting them 1 at a time and when the 3mm bit arrives at the allen head screw just twist it until it drops into the head. Simple and easy as the tool is centred and all you need to do is apply upward pressure and rotate until it engages.  

With the triple crown nut I machined it down until it was 1mm above flush with the top of the clamp and drilled out the std hex hole round to locate the spigot on the back face of the clock. With the hex drilled out you need a way to install and tighten the top nut now so I drilled 2x 3mm holes which you use a pin wrench on. The pin wrench is the small brass tool in the image above. The object was to have the clock as close to the top surface of the triple clamp as possible but the holding force of the fixing screw was taken by the spigot on the back of the clock so the fixing screw wasn't trying the pull the spigot out the back of the clock rear cover.  

So here it is ready to slip the clock into the locating hole with one hand and with the other on the ratchet and extensions tighten it down. Easier to do than it sounds. If you had the front wheel and fender off it would just need 1, 12" 1/4 drive extension and the ratchet. 

Yes I know, sanity is in short supply here. 

Ciao

Compliments on the ingenuity and inventiveness...

I fully understand the modus operandi, and the how to get to it... alas, I do not have access to the tools and paraphernalia required to mimic your installation.

I am going to have to come up with something that requires much less involvement.

I am going to purchase the clock and devise something that will most likely not be as elaborated as your installation.

Thanks for sharing though...

A più tardi!

8 hours ago, p6x said:

Compliments on the ingenuity and inventiveness...

I fully understand the modus operandi, and the how to get to it... alas, I do not have access to the tools and paraphernalia required to mimic your installation.

I am going to have to come up with something that requires much less involvement.

I am going to purchase the clock and devise something that will most likely not be as elaborated as your installation.

Thanks for sharing though...

A più tardi!

I think that there's not that many options on the V11 to mount that particular clock size in a position that looks neat and tidy. The spot I chose was a bit of a last resort. You can of course just use double sided 1mm thick tape but the domed top on the triple clamp even makes that a little difficult without turning it flat.

On my Interceptor I just used the tape mount system although the top nut is pretty flat on that.

97698 Fitted 2.jpg  

Ciao

• Like 2