I've Been Thinking ... about a Proposal for a Toast! [Moto Guzzi's 100th]

Buon Giorno, Guzzisti!

When Kathi starts a conversation with “Bill, I’ve been thinking,” I get nervous. :whistle:

The reverse is likely true, too.

So, I’ve been thinking.  :D

For lots of reasons, only a few lucky among us will be going to Mandello for the big party in September, or, FTM, the one in Genoa next week that marks the actual 100th anniversary of Moto Guzzi.  Sadly, I won’t be among those.

And, quite frankly, I am not ready to take the body-art plunge that The Great Nick of N.J. did …

i-FNqKMvW-M.jpg

My present plan to celebrate includes flying our large Italian flag on the big pole; putting my Moto Guzzi flag at the gate; adding some green, white, and red bunting to our fence; and placing my Guzzis at our driveway entrance.  We live too close to West Virginia to leave them out there unsecured for long :grin:, but, if I can get them all out there, I’ll take some pix to capture the moment.

i-cvhdrRw-M.jpg

But, as I said, "I’ve been thinking.”

What if, aside from our individual nods to the 100th, we all did something at (more or less) the same time, even if only a token?

"I’ve been thinking” that we could all lift a glass of something — it’ll be grappa, of course, for me! :D — at, 9 p.m. (ET) on the 15th with a toast to the three whose vision made it happen:  Carlo Guzzi, Giorgio Parodi, and Giovanni Ravelli? 

That’ll be after the Retreat gun sounds even in Seattle, so even sticklers for not rushing cocktails are safe.  Figuring out time zones here v., e.g., Oz is too tricky for me, but precision and exactitude aren’t the point.  After all, we ride Guzzis. :luigi:

So, here’s a suggestion for the libretto to accompany the liquid of your choice:

Stavo pensando.  Propongo così un brindisi a Moto Guzzi e ai suoi fondatori, Carlo Guzzi, Giorgio Parodi e Giovanni Ravelli.  Che i prossimi 100 anni portino tanto piacere ai motociclisti quanto i primi 100 anni!   :drink::bier:

[Which, I think(!), means "I've been thinking.  I thus propose a toast to Moto Guzzi and its founders, Carlo Guzzi, Giorgio Parodi, and Giovanni Ravelli.  May the next 100 years bring as much pleasure to riders as the first 100 years!”]

Let me and others know if, when, and how you celebrate Moto Guzzi’s 100th.  And, yes, of course, we’ll reprise this or even better it come September! 

1921 - 2021!  :mg:

Bill

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

• Like 5

That's a great plan, Bill!

It turns out Mandello del Lario's September celebration is at the same time as our Seventeenth South'n Spine Raid. Beginning on March 15 (next week), the anniversary of Moto Guzzi's incorporation, I intend to celebrate the centenary with each kilometer I ride the Sport as I reach for 200.000, then culminate in our celebration at the SpineRaid . . .

:mg:  Saluti, Moto Guzzi! :drink:

• Like 1

Okla Campout, usually Columbus Day weekend.  Talihina OK.  Bigfoot country, Talimena Scenic Dr. 

I wish that Guzzi had a European Delivery Program and a bike worth getting there.  

• Like 1

Basically, I just need to cover this distance . . .Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 9.18.46 PM.png

. . . on my Sport. Between 15 March and 12 September.  Even if I end up in Tellico Plains, Tennessee/USA and not actually Mandello del Lario.

• Haha 3

On 3/7/2021 at 10:23 PM, LowRyter said:

Okla Campout, usually Columbus Day weekend.  Talihina OK.  Bigfoot country, Talimena Scenic Dr. 

I wish that Guzzi had a European Delivery Program and a bike worth getting there.  

Don't disagree about no EDP, and I'm not overly fond of all new Guzzis these days, but some of the V7 and V85 line are, IMO, mighty fine machines.

My Stornello (a II) and III are delights to ride :mg: ... and way easier on my aging body when doing the Rubik's Cube routine in the Moto Grappa!  :oldgit:

i-KzB53Bq-M.jpg

i-ZDbPr7s-M.jpg

1921 - 2021!

Bill

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

Don't disagree about no EDP, and I'm not overly fond of all new Guzzis these days, but some of the V7 and V85 line are, IMO, mighty fine machines.

My Stornello (a II) and III are delights to ride :mg: ... and way easier on my aging body when doing the Rubik's Cube routine in the Moto Grappa!  :oldgit:

i-KzB53Bq-M.jpg

i-ZDbPr7s-M.jpg

1921 - 2021!

Bill

I like the Stornello as well, especially the red frame with the Arrow pipe. Fine machines indeed. Owning a Guzzi without passion for Guzzi can sometimes be, as with anything else, an onerous affair. Or as stated in my '65 Honda riders manual, the result of neglected maintenance could "chase you from riding further"

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2021 at 10:05 PM, docc said:

Geez, Bill, I could'a sworn the last time I saw your Honda Fit,  it was in better shape  :huh: .  .  .

i-KzB53Bq-M.jpg

We still have that 209 Honda Fit ... with 254K miles! :notworthy:

It's a C-130 of automobiles.  All go, not show.  OK, it doesn't go fast, but is astonishingly practical.  :whistle:

We like it so much that we just bought a 2020.  No longer on NA market, but still sold in Europe and Asia.

We'll spend the "leftover" transportation money on motos.  :bike:

Off now on Griso on a cross-border breakfast raid into Pennsylvania.  :mg:

Ciao ... and chow! :food:

Bill

i-zh82nCv-L.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:05 PM, footgoose said:

I like the Stornello as well, especially the red frame with the Arrow pipe. Fine machines indeed. Owning a Guzzi without passion for Guzzi can sometimes be, as with anything else, an onerous affair. Or as stated in my '65 Honda riders manual, the result of neglected maintenance could "chase you from riding further"

Roger to all of that.

BTW, took my Stornello out yesterday for my first ride of 2021.  As TR was wont to say, "Deeeeeeligghtful."  :bike:

i-JWgP4GJ-L.jpg

A (few) more pix here if inclined (and bored :D) ... Stornello's First Ride of 2021!

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

Roger to all of that.

BTW, took my Stornello out yesterday for my first ride of 2021.  As TR was wont to say, "Deeeeeeligghtful."  :bike:

i-JWgP4GJ-L.jpg

A (few) more pix here if inclined (and bored :D) ... Stornello's First Ride of 2021!

Bill

I just finished Morris' Theodore Rex, ..for the second time. Lovely man.

I liked the shots around the homestead too, a nice tract of ground. Beata!