V11 scura questions before buy

tommaso

Hi everyone, i'm new on this Guzzi forum, I'm from Italy and I own an '85 Le Mans 1000.
I was searching for a "new" bike to put beside the old lady and I found this one near me in italy, but since the first time I saw it, some doutbs came to me.

I read all topics about the Scura and Scura R and this bike seems like a hybrid, probably a 02 scura (but that would have matte paint) with a red seat?

It also comes with D.95 cylinders and i don't know if it is a good thing or not.

Thanks

guzzi scura 2.jpg

guzzi scura.jpg

The Scura R was never imported here, and I've never seen one. That said, it wouldn't have the 02 Scura "issues." I would be on that like a duck on a June bug..:grin:

• Haha 1

I'm a newbie to this group, but when I was looking I for a V11 I checked out the Scura at a dealership in Vegas that has been for sale for awhile. I was not impressed with the matte black, no offense, just not a matte black fan.  Didn't help that this particular bike was ratty looking up close. yours however with the gloss black and red seat is quite the looker! Good luck

Wow, that looks like it's going 100 while standing still.. Sweet! Drooling over the Quat D exhaust too.

I would want to know if it has the possible exploding clutch issue before buying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tommaso said:

Hi everyone, i'm new on this Guzzi forum, I'm from Italy and I own an '85 Le Mans 1000.
I was searching for a "new" bike to put beside the old lady and I found this one near me in italy, but since the first time I saw it, some doutbs came to me.

I read all topics about the Scura and Scura R and this bike seems like a hybrid, probably a 02 scura (but that would have matte paint) with a red seat?

It also comes with D.95 cylinders and i don't know if it is a good thing or not.

Thanks

guzzi scura 2.jpg

guzzi scura.jpg

Welcome, tommaso!

True, as you say, that is a 2002 with changes to look more like a Scura R.  An actual Scura R would be very desirable.

The bike has other changes beyond the gloss paint and seat change. There is a completely different exhaust, Quat-D, elimination  of the airbox for pod filters, chin spoiler, and changes to the rear fender and tail section/tail light.

Those are later 1200 valve covers, but I am not sure that the cylinders, themselves, are changed.  What is meant by "D.95 cylinders?"

Unfortunately, it does appear to still have the failing wrinkle black engine paint. With all that has been done (to make a good-looking V11 !), It would be telling, IMO, if it retains the aluminum flywheel/single plate clutch . . .

Thank all for your support, I'm going to see the bike on friday. Clutch issues are well known on this bike, I'll check this thing and the cylinders question when I'll see it anyway.

The owner says literally "mounts cylinders and pistons D.95 and special camshaft". I only found on the internet d.95 pistons kit for Guzzi griso/norge 1200, so probably it's something similar :huh: but (at least for me) unusual on V11s.

I just hope this bike has not been messed around too much.

Now I'm going deeper into clutch/flywheel topics and hope to come back with good news on friday.

• Like 1

I would hope anyone going so far as to change pistons, cylinders, and camshaft would have addressed both the known engine paint and flywheel issues of this model.

So many significant changes make me wonder about how the tuning has been done....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Oh, my bad. I thought it was a modded real deal Scura R.

It is a very nice likeness of a Scura R! Yet, the engine paint looks a but dull and , the real giveaways: chin pad tank and white face instruments with speedo cable angle drive at the gearbox . . .

Wrong color wheels and wrong graphics for an R as well ..imo  not that it matters, If it is sound mechanically  all the rest is up to personal taste.. Its a nice looking motorcycle.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

Wrong color wheels and wrong graphics for an R as well ..imo  not that it matters, If it is sound mechanically  all the rest is up to personal taste.. Its a nice looking motorcycle.

This is such an interesting V11! Absolutely worth going to look at, @tommaso! Thank you for letting us know what you find!

It appears the wheels may have been stripped and polished bright. Maybe clear coated? I like them, but I am a "silver" guy . . .

Fascinating about the cylinder/piston/camshaft change. No mention if the heads were also changed (?)

My best math: increasing the bore from the V11/ 92mm to the 2valve 1200 Sport/ 95mm takes the displacement from 1064cc to 1134cc.

So, a V11&1/2? ;)

guzzi scura 2.jpg

• Like 1

I suppose I'd ask, why were the cylinders, pistons and cam replaced?  Many do like the 1200 sport (Breva),  I'm not sure how it compares to the V11 engines.  I suppose the cam and tuning would matter.  Having said that, it looks pretty nice and there are a few bits of eye candy $$ on it.  So considering all done to it, I suppose the builder/owner would take the step to sort it all out.

I've done a lot of supposing.  

What's the deck height on those pistons compared to the V11? I thought they changed the rod length for the CARC motors? Could be wrong but if the deck height is too low it'll be a tractor. Run on kerosene but have the performance of a 1955 Fordson......

• Haha 2