V11 Fuel pump

Cyborg

4 minutes ago, docc said:

Side hack racers are pretty much all nutters, yah?

They're a special breed, lol You have to be a welder, engineer, usually possess off the charts mechanical skills.

They love building crazy sh*t that nobody else would ever try; one of the funkiest rigs I've seen was based on a big old Triumph twin, the builder reversed the cylinder & head assembly, so the exhaust flowed out the back of the engine, just to prove to himself and the world that he could do it and make it work, and he did :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I've considered getting a rig a few times; other than piloting a dead one getting towed off a race track once, I've never ridden a sidecar.

There's a lot of small engineering details that go into making a rig safe and responsive at speed, things can go sideways in a heart beat, it can be a steep learning curve.

I've seen some beautiful looking rigs based on V11 Spine frames, but the consensus from others, that are experienced sidecar builders and riders, is that the Tonti frame based bikes are much better designed to handle the stresses generated, and a more easily adapted platform for sidecar duty.

Buying a well built rig is ALWAYS cheaper and easier than building one.

fwiw ymmv

Good luck

Yes.... agreed, but I have the V11 already and it has sufficient grunt to haul a car around. Although I have a lathe, mill, MIG and TIg.... as much as it pains me to buy stuff, I would cough up the funds to buy the mounting hardware, just to avoid any drama and save time. There are a couple of knowledgeable (nutters)locals to help set it up. Assuming I actually get around to doing anything about it.... most of the bikes use would be on a small island where the posed speed limit is 50kmh. Not a glamorous ending for a V11, but at least I wouldn’t have to worry about picking it up... just focus on avoiding hedges.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

but the consensus from others, that are experienced sidecar builders and riders, is that the Tonti frame based bikes are much better designed to handle the stresses generated, and a more easily adapted platform for sidecar duty.

This. Hooking up a V11S to a chair would be like hooking up a Ky derby horse to the Budweiser beer wagon. :rasta:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

This. Hooking up a V11S to a chair would be like hooking up a Ky derby horse to the Budweiser beer wagon. :rasta:

Again... I don’t really disagree.... well maybe a little, but logic is unlikely to deter me. After all, I’m the guy who put a Vincent engine in a Honda GL500 Interstate. In other words, I have no shame, so a V11 powered hack isn’t beyond the realm of possibility. Besides..... as you so aptly put it, think of all the beer you could haul.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cyborg said:

Again... I don’t really disagree.... well maybe a little, but logic is unlikely to deter me. After all, I’m the guy who put a Vincent engine in a Honda GL500 Interstate. In other words, I have no shame, so a V11 powered hack isn’t beyond the realm of possibility. Besides..... as you so aptly put it, think of all the beer you could haul.

There is a place for your V11 at the South'n SpineRaid. We'll open a full garage space for your rig. And supply the ice . . . :bier:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cyborg said:

Go for it. I want to see it. Some say why, some say why not. Just make the hack as elegant as the bike already is.:luigi:

• Like 1

They certainly look like they are done right. Can’t say there is a car there that appeals to me. I like the look of Steibs, but they would probably look a bit odd on a V11 Sport. Not exactly cheap either. Wonder what those earls type front ends cost? Maybe I should just look for an old Dnepr..... although a short ride on one gave me nightmares. Talk about agricultural!  

13 hours ago, docc said:

There is a place for your V11 at the South'n SpineRaid. We'll open a full garage space for your rig. And supply the ice . . . :bier:

Does the garage have an engine hoist? After a ride that far, I’d need assistance getting off the bike. I was thinking more along the lines of..... ride 10 minutes from my house to the ferry, another 5 minutes when the ferry arrives at the island.... followed by intermittent rides to drag supplies back to the cabin. The 50 km speed limit on the island and a good steering damper would keep wobbles down to a minimum. 
anyway... thanks for the invite, it sounds like fun.

• Like 1