V11 won’t idle correctly

Guzzimax

Been putting my 04 V11 Le Mans back together over the past few days, following getting the tank and seat cowl professionally respirated (they had some deep scratches) So the in tank fuel pump had to come out. I replaced the pumps hoses, fitted a new gasket, took the throttle bodies off, replaced the rubber inlet hoses which were starting to show signs of cracking, cleaned the years of carbon off the inlet manifolds, fitted new HT leads and plugs, front & back wheels off, front powder coated, swinging arm out & powder coated with new bearings. Both exhaust cans resleeved with new covers. Reassembled everything, bike fires up immediately but the revs climb instantly to about 5000 rpm (I then hit the kill switch) it won’t idle. Needless to say everything was fine before this. No doubt it’s got something to do with me removing the throttle bodies. The cable linking the throttle to the throttle bodies is working fine. It’s almost like the throttle control is pinned open, when it isn’t 

Can anyone offer any advice regarding why it won’t idle, and seems to immediately climb towards the redline?

B4707A38-E0A4-49C0-92ED-1C787041158E.jpeg

Perhaps an intake air leak? Spray some solvent, like throttle body cleaner, around the intake connections while running to se if it affects the rpm anywhere.

Also,visually confirm that the throttle body linkage is seating back against the idle stop(s).

• Like 1

I agree with docc, verify the throttle bodies are closed. If not, check that cables are seated correctly, including the fast idle one, and you may need to back off the adjuster at throttle grip as there should be a slight amount of slack before the throttles actually open when you twist it. After doing the "decent tune-up", I had to back that adjustment out because it idled at  about 3k, seems the PO used it to adjust idle instead of the t.b. screws.

• Like 1

I recall a couple things that can foul one another on a tank install:

The TPS can be fouled by the speedometer drive, especially on Veglia V11 with the angle drive. 

On the left, the throttle rod white adjustment knob can be fouled by the remote shock reservoir adjustor.

To do this, it must be getting too much mixture, both fuel and air. That would seem to indicate that the throttle bodies are not where they should be. The R throttle body has that eccentric "choke" cam on it. Make certain that it is not camming the throttle body open. Both vacuum hoses connected and in good shape? Throttle cable properly seated and adjusted? Oh, choke off?

I just un-dusted my '04 a bit. Due to horrible popping back, I commenced to mechanically synch the throttles. I slacked the throttle cable, the choke cable and disconnected the TB cross linkage at the left end. Then backed off both throttle plate idle screws until both plates were closed. Twisted the balance knob on the cross linkage until the linkage would just slip back together with a trace of drag. Set the TPS (throttles closed) at 1.574, but it would not idle. So, back to reading the manual and the tune up thread.  Can see why Dellortos are so tempting.   

26 minutes ago, po18guy said:

To do this, it must be getting too much mixture, both fuel and air. That would seem to indicate that the throttle bodies are not where they should be. The R throttle body has that eccentric "choke" cam on it. Make certain that it is not camming the throttle body open. Both vacuum hoses connected and in good shape? Throttle cable properly seated and adjusted? Oh, choke off?

I just un-dusted my '04 a bit. Due to horrible popping back, I commenced to mechanically synch the throttles. I slacked the throttle cable, the choke cable and disconnected the TB cross linkage at the left end. Then backed off both throttle plate idle screws until both plates were closed. Twisted the balance knob on the cross linkage until the linkage would just slip back together with a trace of drag. Set the TPS (throttles closed) at 1.574, but it would not idle. So, back to reading the manual and the tune up thread.  Can see why Dellortos are so tempting.   

1.574 volts? Something not right there, should be 157 mv, or .157v, with all linkage and idle adjustment screws backed off, including disconnecting the fast idle cable. Go back to doccs "decent tune-up" thread and follow precisely. You don't want the "balance linkage" connected at all when setting tps volts. The F.I. system on the Guzzi's is actually pretty good, imho.

28 minutes ago, Tinknocker said:

1.574 volts? Something not right there, should be 157 mv, or .157v, with all linkage and idle adjustment screws backed off, including disconnecting the fast idle cable. Go back to doccs "decent tune-up" thread and follow precisely. You don't want the "balance linkage" connected at all when setting tps volts. The F.I. system on the Guzzi's is actually pretty good, imho.

The numbers were right, but the decimal wrong. My bad. Will re-read the tuneup thread. We Luddites like big old Holley four barrels. Now that I can understand.

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions, I will start working through them tomorrow evening 

76A2803E-CE42-40B0-9F50-4493C04F916E.jpeg

Here is an interesting view of the throttle rod "tunnel" above the gearbox, looking from the left behind and under the left throttle body.

In the foreground, blurred, is the white balance knob (mine has a "lock nut") that is prone to fouling the shock reservoir adjusting knob. Visible on the left, more in focus, is the mid-frame mounting plate that can only be added to RedFrames (not even the black ShortFrame of the Rosso Mandello without welding a mounting tab onto the underside of the spine). Also, in focus on the far side (right), mid-view, is what a right throttle body idle stop screw looks like all the way backed out.

What I found impressive about this view is how the throttle rod "tunnel" is completely and entirely clear of anything else. The space is entirely dedicated to the throttle rod. No fuel line, vent lines, wiring, connectors, gnomes, or trolls.

In such a tightly packed package as the V11, the design impressed me with this dedicated space.

Important, methinks . . .

IMG_2757.jpg

3 hours ago, po18guy said:

The numbers were right, but the decimal wrong. My bad. Will re-read the tuneup thread. We Luddites like big old Holley four barrels. Now that I can understand.

Oh yeah! Double pumpers with dual feeds, power valves and squirters, pump cams and  jets! That's what I'm taking about, lol. Gotta love them quadrajets too! Ahhhh, the good ol days. I miss carburetors 😢

5 minutes ago, Tinknocker said:

Oh yeah! Double pumpers with dual feeds, power valves and squirters, pump cams and  jets! That's what I'm taking about, lol. Gotta love them quadrajets too! Ahhhh, the good ol days. I miss carburetors 😢

Dang, bud, you missed saying "Spread-Bore" . .  now, that's just fun to say with "Double-Pumper!" :oldgit::grin:

The entire phrase always reminds me of a girl I dated in college . . .  :huh:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, docc said:

Dang, bud, you missed saying "Spread-Bore" . .  now, that's just fun to say with "Double-Pumper!" :oldgit::grin:

The entire phrase always reminds me of a girl I dated in college . . .  :huh:

I figured that would lead straight to the gutter, especially with squirters thrown in there 🤣

• Haha 1