Shock swingarm bolt replacement?

Grim

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

Are there no fastener stores in your area ?

In the UK, at least where I am from, everything seems to be online only. Not many independent fastener stores left, just DIY places that sell general house stuff.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ok, put everything back together, one issue is the new wheel bearing on the cush drive plate went in just as easy as the old one came out, does this mean I need a new drive plate? 

That might be an issue as ALL the button head bolts that hold it on look chewed up😭

Those fasteners don't come out willingly, typically requiring replacement. I suppose someone has been in there before you . . .

Isn't there a "LocTite" type product specifically for anchoring that sort of bearing to race surface? It's the "Green," yes?

25 minutes ago, docc said:

Those fasteners don't come out willingly, typically requiring replacement. I suppose someone has been in there before you . . .

Isn't there a "LocTite" type product specifically for anchoring that sort of bearing to race surface? It's the "Green," yes?

I put a few spots of what I loctite I had (blue) on there. Do the bearing housings get worn? Seems I can get one for about £150 from gutsibits.

14 minutes ago, Grim said:

I put a few spots of what I loctite I had (blue) on there. Do the bearing housings get worn? Seems I can get one for about £150 from gutsibits.

I learned (from the learned) that beating a bearing out unevenly, especially repeatedly, can oval or expand the housing area. Ideally, a puller should be used. And the freeze/heat method to extract and install along with a clean, greased surface for the bearing to capture within.

Just how easily did the new bearing slide in? Like "finger tight?" As in you can stick a finger in it and pull it back out?

15 minutes ago, Grim said:

Yeah, like when you get it lined up it just slides in, not rattling about.

Yeah, that ain't right. I'll defer to the experts here.  Maybe the LocTite will be adequate (pretty sure the Green is correct for that application).

Any signs that the outer bearing race was rotating in the housing?

Did you measure the length of the internal wheel bearing spacer?

8 hours ago, docc said:

Yeah, that ain't right. I'll defer to the experts here.  Maybe the LocTite will be adequate (pretty sure the Green is correct for that application).

Any signs that the outer bearing race was rotating in the housing?

Did you measure the length of the internal wheel bearing spacer?

Ok, may have to swap it out for green when I can get my hands on some.

There was no scoring in the bearing housing the old bearing was toast though.

The spacer is an uneven 113mm, a bit bashed up in places, the collar parts are wavy but I think they are non critical.

• Like 1