V11 Marking Its Spot (oil in the airbox)

leroysch

These observations make me suspect that the inside of our frame spines, that are supposed to drain the liquid oil portion of our crankcase breather, can become compromised (clogged or restricted) and force more crankcase breather oil through the left side of the airbox.  :nerd:

1 hour ago, docc said:

Is it wet around the outside of it, or is all that oil coming from the crankcase venting and trying to get out from inside the airbox on the left side?

Thats my suspicion docc. The breather into the airbox is also on the Left hand side as well.

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

These observations make me suspect that the inside of our frame spines, that are supposed to drain the liquid oil portion of our crankcase breather, can become compromised (clogged or restricted) and force more crankcase breather oil through the left side of the airbox.  :nerd:

Nothing works perfectly docc it's a pretty crude system so some oil vapour still gets in the airbox and condenses over long periods of time. Who here periodically gets in and wipes out the airbox interior?

Ciao 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, docc said:

We've got a thread on this problem here back a year or so. Yes they do fill with crud over time. Was it member antmanbee that flushed his frame with kerosene ?

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

We've got a thread on this problem here back a year or so. Yes they do fill with crud over time. Was it member antmanbee that flushed his frame with kerosene ?

I wouldn't recommend that personally. Unless there is debris clogging something all you do is loosen up stuff you don't want to. The drain line is via a banjo fitting anyway so it's a horizontal inlet the the pipe so contaminants don't tend to enter unless there's a LOT of stuff, usually rusty stuff in the spine.

Ciao     

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, docc said:

I have experienced my return line banjo, which is made of a different material compared to the steel of the frame tube, to be partially filled with corrosion product & debris. I cleaned it out when I found it. I can't confirm this would cause the leakage as described as I do run pods (came without air filter box when I bought it) and my breather line runs to the ground.

• Thanks 1

20210712_120348.jpg

Inspected the plugs, intakes...cleaned out the sump and strainer...and got around to cleaning the air box which had been laying on the bench. I was surprised by the amount of fluid which had pooled inside (~ 1ml or so) and got curious. Looks like the air box has a false bottom ending near the aft end. In any event set this up to help mop up whatever cares to dribble down. Will rotate it 180 degrees and see if anything comes out from below the false bottom. I know, OCD...but might as well satisfy my curiosity while it's off the bike...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, leroysch said:

20210712_120348.jpg

Inspected the plugs, intakes...cleaned out the sump and strainer...and got around to cleaning the air box which had been laying on the bench. I was surprised by the amount of fluid which had pooled inside (~ 1ml or so) and got curious. Looks like the air box has a false bottom ending near the aft end. In any event set this up to help mop up whatever cares to dribble down. Will rotate it 180 degrees and see if anything comes out from below the false bottom. I know, OCD...but might as well satisfy my curiosity while it's off the bike...

Pull the inlet trumpets out and get your hand or a rag on a stick in there and give it a good clean out.

Ciao

• Like 2

I reckon I should add this to the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist . . .  :luigi:

Done:

[I also edited the topic title to make this more searchable. Hope this is okay with the OP, @leroysch . . .]

• Like 1

• docc changed the title to V11 Marking Its Spot (oil in the airbox)