Which years/models of V11 Sport/Cafe/LeMans had. 6 speed gearbox?

VtwinStorm

Agreed!  :thumbsup:

:mg:   "Ain't she sweet? "   :mg:

For a little more "light reading"/orientation to the V11 sporting models @VtwinStorm, here is a thread that details the differences in the early (1999-2001) ShortFrames and the later LongFrames that started with the 2002 LeMans:

• Thanks 1

Another fine example of a "V11 5 speed". Again, probably the source of the OP's  opening statement:

"I've been on several sites and I'm getting conflicting info. Some claim a 5 speed, others a 6 speed."

As nice as these Tonti V11 California 5-speeds are, @VtwinStorm, "These aren't the [V11] you're looking for. Move along. Move along."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fotoguzzi said:

Disagree, my V11 Bassa was a real nice bike for a cruiser, true not a sport bike but beautiful in its own way.

IMG_0500-600x400.jpg

I had two in white as well..

2018062515362727-IMG_3806-600x450.jpg

Yea cruisers just aren't my thing. Nor are hyper sports bikes anymore. I mean I love them from a technical, looks and performance angle but they are totally pointless on the roads these day. Still glad they make them but for me pointless now. Getting older I guess.

Ciao

• Like 3

Hopefully, the "California" - "cruiser" - "EV"  exposé has been helpful to the OP to sort through the myriad web 5sp vs 6sp vagueries and focus on what @VtwinStorm is hoping to find in a V11 LeMans.

Pretty sure them Cali's ain't the droids he's looking for.  :thing:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The 1100 “V11” engine got Guzzi a lot of mileage. It served on the Tonti, spine, and the Griso style frames. What a great, robust motor! Was this not the zenith of the big block mills before they went to the four valve head?

Those Tonti frame V11 cruisers are great for a sport bike conversion.

I can see a carbed California in my future.

The look of the Tonti cruisers has grown on me, just like the look of the Griso did. 
Unlike the sport bikes, T bikes, and loop frames, I did not care for those at first glance.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pete roper said:

All of the Cali 1100's wear the famous 'Flaccid Whale Penis' petrol tank which, in my view, detracts from their appearance.

Can we get this quote on a V11 LeMans.com shirt? 😆

I'd buy one, and I know I'm not alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The six speeds are pretty good. Occasionally a false neutral, but if one pays attention and even preloads his/her shifts a bit, it’s all good. I go up and down like a yo-yo with mine on the terrible L.A. freeways and she’s solid and true. The five speeds are geared nicely and feel natural and satisfying, but it’s a different timing and cadence. The six speed is like cueing up and striking the stick. The five speed is like waltzing, “one and two and three and…..”. There’s a beat between the gears.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

The six speeds are pretty good. Occasionally a false neutral, but if one pays attention and even preloads his/her shifts a bit, it’s all good. I go up and down like a yo-yo with mine on the terrible L.A. freeways and she’s solid and true. The five speeds are geared nicely and feel natural and satisfying, but it’s a different timing and cadence. The six speed is like cueing up and striking the stick. The five speed is like waltzing, “one and two and three and…..”. There’s a beat between the gears.

Thank you, Kane. That is an excellent explanation. All I know is that the gearbox on the V7 was easily the worst motorcycle gearbox I have ever used. Want to avoid that as the feel and function of the gearbox is very important to my riding experience.

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

Is the V7 you are referring to an earlier  1970’s 5 speed bikes or one of the later 6 speed small block bikes?

It was a brand new 17-19? V7. Didn't even get past 4th gear. The motorcycle wasn't fun or engaging in any way. Might have been built on a Monday or Friday for all I know. It was gutless and hard to shift. Clutch cable? I don't know, but that machine was horrible to ride.

It had 6 miles on it or something around that. Horrible experience. Might have been poor/no dealer prep prior to my demo ride.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Is the V7 you are referring to an earlier  1970’s 5 speed bikes or one of the later 6 speed small block bikes?

All the smallblocks used very similar gearboxes right up until the advent of the V7-II in 2015/16, (From memory?). The Smallblock six speed was a huge improvement over the five speed which is unsurprising as it was a gearbox from a very different, and distant, time.

The big block five speed, especially if used in conjunction with a heavy flywheel, does NOT liked to be hurried. Even if shifted with sympathy it still makes a nose like someone dropping a brick in a bucket. This can be improved by correctly shimming the shift drum but even then it will remain ponderous compared to any of the *Modern* six speed boxes.

A well set up four shaft box from a V11 is a glorious thing, they can be almost Suzuki like, which is a compliment. The later CARC six speeds are still a good box and are seemingly unbreakable but still suffer the "Make a noise like wheelbarrows fornicating" noise when selecting first at a standstill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2