Alternator/(generator?) not charging

Purloined

On 1/31/2022 at 9:36 AM, Kiwi_Roy said:

Another word against the small black wire guzzi provide,

Some owners have experienced a poor connection on the main battery ground, in this case when you try to start the starter current tries to get back to the battery through the regulator ground turning it red hot which causes it to melt the insulation off other wires in the loom, I used to have a picture of that mess.

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%206.54.3

It may also be worth noting our V11 frame is not directly grounded. The battery grounds to the very important main ground on the back of the gearbox and the harnesses ground back to the battery through individual ring terminals.  When I grounded my regulator case to the timing chest, I also put a strap from there to the spine frame. Perhaps it doesn’t really do anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, docc said:

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%206.54.3

It may also be worth noting our V11 frame is not directly grounded. The battery grounds to the very important main ground on the back of the gearbox and the harnesses ground back to the battery through individual ring terminals.  When I grounded my regulator case to the timing chest, I also put a strap from there to the spine frame. PArhaps it doesn;t really do anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

I followed your advice and added to it. I have the std ground from batt to tranny, then a second wire, same gauge goes from the tranny bolt to a point on the frame, and a third (duplicate of the battery grnd) from the frame point to the R/R case. So basically same gauge wire from the battery to the R/R, stopping off at 2 points. All scraped and scrubbed and DeOxit'd, with soldered connectors. I'm with ya maybe it doesn't do much but when you're talking about "maybe it's grounded and maybe it's not," then maybe over kill is in order.

• Like 2

Yes, it's an ESR515, which is available in two wire connection configurations for the V11 (pre 2003, and 2003+). I showed the wiring connector differences for pre and post 2003 models about a dozen or so posts above should you be interested.
I did apply some dialectic grease after making the connections, so hopefully protected for a while anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1