Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)

p6x

FWIW, USA 1991 - 1992 Suzuki GSXR 750 and GSXR1100 had/have shims that are between a rocker finger and the valve tip, held in place by the valve retainer. Sliding the rocker to the side allows shim replacement without removing the cams. I haven’t seen this new Guzzi set-up, so I don’t know if it is similar. Would be neat if you didn’t have to pull cams.  I still have a couple of those shims in my toolbox…..since 1991!

Post 2959 in this thread.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guzzi-centenario-v100-mandello.1517279/page-148

Even if you can remove the circlip and slide the finger rocker off to the side on the valves adjacent to the chain run you'd run the risk of dropping them, the clips and the shims down into the guts of the motor.

Removing the cams is a piece of piss and at most will be needed every 15,000 miles. I just don't get what all the pissing and moaning is about???

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pete roper said:

Removing the cams is a piece of piss and at most will be needed every 15,000 miles. I just don't get what all the pissing and moaning is about???

Thanks for link, now I see the juicy details…..looks nice and modern to me. 
For mechanics, it’s not a problem. For non-mechanics it’s the cost, and fear of damaging their new bike.

Most of my friends are motorcycle owners, all work on their own bikes to different ability/confidence levels. Half of them would shop this job out, including my father and my best friend since high school. They both own oil head BMWs and adjust those themselves (no tolerance on those, only one correct setting!). I myself shy away from automatic transmissions. I think there is voodoo lurking inside them.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pete roper said:

Post 2959 in this thread.

That would be this post:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guzzi-centenario-v100-mandello.1517279/page-148#post-46992227

Yes, fairly easy by the looks, but not without a certain amount of fillyfarting around.

7 hours ago, pete roper said:

the risk of dropping them, the clips and the shims down into the guts of the motor.

Good point.

I reckon what causes most concern regarding taking the cams out is, firstly, simply not having done the job that often, and secondly and more important, concerns about getting the valve timing messed up when putting things back together.

I noticed in the "instructions" posted in that link that there is, for instance, a special tool to lock the crankshaft position, and another one apparently to lock the cam position or something. Probably not hard to acquire or fabricate, perhaps not absolutely neccessary. :huh2:

• Like 1

Cams out.

No that anyone is asking, but here is the biggest drawback for me, and probably for some other regular folks: Motorcycle down time. It’s not something that’s likely to be getting done on a Friday night, or even a Saturday, unless you know what shims are currently installed and you have access to the sizes (and special tools) you may need. So it’s a 5 or 6 part event if you have a valve clearance that’s out of spec. 1. Check the clearance. 2. Pull the cam(s) to access and measure the offending shim(s). 3. Calculate the new shim thickness needed. 4. Fetch the new shim from personal stock (hope?) 5. Check your local dealership stock (hope some more?) order them (direct any leftover hope to the delivery timeframe) 6. Collect the new shim(s) and re-install shims and cams. It’s just a longer process, and somewhat out of one’s personal control. 
  Don’t get me wrong, I’d gladly trade convenience for this level of performance on a new bike purchase. Shoot, I’m surely adding a 748 or 749 Ducati to my stable when funds allow. Flaking rockers be damned!

• Like 3

Performing the valve adjustment on my 2-valve BigBlock is something I actually look forward to.  Not only is it approachable to an involved owner, physically and mechanically, it reminds me of tuning my string instruments . . .

There is a certain irreplaceable "connection" , and the instrument always, then, dances with a delight and appreciation. Like a Golden Retriever let out of the truck by the lake shore. Friends for life.

These feelings just never happen picking my Toyota up from a dealer service.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, docc said:

Performing the valve adjustment on my 2-valve BigBlock is something I actually look forward to.  Not only is it approachable to an involved owner, physically and mechanically, it reminds me of tuning my string instruments . . .

There is a certain irreplaceable "connection" , and the instrument always, then, dances with a delight and appreciation. Like a Golden Retriever let out of the truck by the lake shore. Friends for life.

These feelings just never happen picking my Toyota up from a dealer service.

Screws are analog, shims are digital. Similar to the warmth of tubes vs. transistors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would go so far as to say that my feeler gauges, even knitting needles, are analog.

Swiping my card at the dealer's service desk? Definitely > digital <

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FuelCooler said:

Motorcycle down time. It’s not something that’s likely to be getting done on a Friday night, or even a Saturday, unless you know what shims are currently installed and you have access to the sizes (and special tools) you may need.

Solution:

Find out what shims are in there, so that you know what the next step is when you check the clearance and establish that it needs adjusting. Then you only have to order the appropriate "next step up", and put them in when they arrive.

It's not done in one hit (which I would find frustrating), but if one is well prepared and organised, there should be no down time.

2 hours ago, docc said:

... tuning my string instruments . .

Which are? (I like playing around with guitars, although "my instrument" is actually trumpet and flugel horn, or would be, if I ever practiced....)

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

The two 'special tools' are a couple of rods, probably 5mm if they follow standard Aprilia/Piaggio practice. You could probably use #5 steel knitting needles cut to size. Really, it's a non issue.

Yes, I thought it would probably be as simple as that. :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, audiomick said:
3 hours ago, docc said:

... tuning my string instruments . .

Which are? (I like playing around with guitars, although "my instrument" is actually trumpet and flugel horn, or would be, if I ever practiced....)

Well, there is this . . .

(In short,  Fender basses and a hundred-fifty-year-old Steiner fiddle.)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this was linked in the preceding 17 pages, but here is the current list of accessories for the V100:

https://www.moto-guzzi-onlineshop.com/accessories/v-100-mandello/

https://wide.piaggiogroup.com/en/articles/accessories/moto-guzzi-v100-mandello-a-vast-range-of-accessories-to-suit-every-need/index.html

It's a long list that includes several things that we've wished for years had been available on the V11 Sport/Lemans models :sun:

Well, that's cool to see they are expanding the offerings.  Center stand looks reasonable...Side cases are just as expensive for a new V100 as they are for a 2008 Norge!  I wonder what is the liter capacity of those side cases...

Bike looks really good!