Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)

p6x

went to Don's shop today, saw the new bike.  Bike looks just like the photos.  Seems like a nice piece, sounds great, comfy seating, dashboard menu is neat.  Didn't care for the header heatshield, sorta tacked on, would take them off and show the stainless pipes like my Sport.

here's Darren the model

PXL-20230318-155227851-MP.jpg

PXL-20230318-154844356-MP.jpg

upload image direct link

gonna test ride when it warms up next week.  Since he's got both my Guzzis, hopefully he fix'em & it won't be long.  (my EV on the rack) (oh and my Greenie in front)

On 3/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, Joe said:

I agree 100% with Giuseppe from the same article-

All that is well and good. Maybe. Fair question: Can Gooz execute? Fact is they prototyped this motor what 25 years ago? And the look, the vibe of the bike recalls an awkward take on the regrettably failed Terreblanche experiment. They'd be way better off today if they'd had the ball bearings to roll with it.

It's all indicative of a company missing the backbone to lead.

Yes, Guzzi is sometimes nice on design and dynamics, but just abysmal on execution.

At the end of the day Gooz reliably fails and shows contempt for its customers by pumping out poorly assembled, poorly executed, not ready for prime-time bikes.

Don't believe me? Three little words. Griso valve train. Look it up. And I'm going to beat on that drum and add:

Griso electrics. Griso lubrication. This all applies to Stelvio as well. Don't get me started on dealerships, service, the Roadside Contempt Program.

So until someone can persuade me that Mandello has implemented a well-funded and serious program to vet components, vendors, assembly line performance and invests in a serious way on building the dealer network, the answer is:

non tra un milione di anni

Hey, three time Gooz owner here. Just fired up a couple of them for the first time this year. So I've been there, rode that, got the toolbox to prove it.

Giuseppe just omitted a couple of important components to his roster: Passion (ours), Charisma (Gooz).

I have ridden many insipid motorcycles; like everyone else here. I like that my Guzzi is like myself: imperfect... or rather, perfectible...

The assessment is correct that Guzzi drops the ball in Quality Assurance.

But as we say in my language: un homme averti en vaut deux or forewarned is forearmed in English.

Some of us enjoy the DIY. It can be costly, but at our age, we need to do something with our money.

I have decided that I will most likely not go V100, not because I am afraid of quality control. I will stay with old air cooled Guzzi for as long as I can.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, p6x said:

Giuseppe just omitted a couple of important components to his roster: Passion (ours), Charisma (Gooz).

I have ridden many insipid motorcycles; like everyone else here. I like that my Guzzi is like myself: imperfect... or rather, perfectible...

But as we say in my language: un homme averti en vaut deux or forewarned is forearmed in English.

Some of us enjoy the DIY. It can be costly, but at our age, we need to do something with our money.

I have decided that I will most likely not go V100, not because I am afraid of quality control. I will stay with old air cooled Guzzi for as long as I can.

p6x,

I’ve owned 4 Guzzi’s, all big block air cooled, 3-1100, 1-850. I love Guzzi’s with all of their quirks of ownership. I think Giuseppe loves Guzzi’s too, just after production has been vetted out, that’s a fair statement. I’ve got to say, I’m still drawn to the V100 like a fly to a bug zapper, but am trying to refrain till I see them run a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I had that discussion with the dealer owner.  He made a point that the V85tt and V9 had few quality problems and only a couple of minor recalls.  I think I'd be less afraid of this one than anything they've done in years.  My concern is all the electrics and they seem to have a good record considering the Aprillia shared stuff.  

• Like 1

Not sure if this is going to work, but a screen shot pic of a V100 Mandello FB post, anyways a new V100 with motor issues stemming from a C-clip not installed correctly on a rocket arm shaft. Which is exactly what Giuseppe was trying to say….. 

BEA2780E-5F0F-41E3-92BA-E88E68D7F6D3.jpeg

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Joe said:

Not sure if this is going to work, but a screen shot pic of a V100 Mandello FB post, anyways a new V100 with motor issues stemming from a C-clip not installed correctly on a rocket arm shaft. Which is exactly what Giuseppe was trying to say….. 

BEA2780E-5F0F-41E3-92BA-E88E68D7F6D3.jpeg

Point Taken @Joe

The assembly line is not usually populated by the most technical people, although, when I visited Borgo Panigale in the 80's, the workers that I met were not only there for the job. Some were, undeniably, but for the most part, they were motorcycle enthusiasts. They took a lot of pride in what they were doing.

I cannot speak for Mandello del Lario, but if they do not have a Japanese based QA system, (I have a friend working at a Toyota plant in Argentina), and QA/QC is brutal there, then they have no QA/QC.

I could tell you about QA/QC of my Ford Transit Connect, assembled in Spain. Not that I am trying to forgive Guzzi who should have taken extra steps to make the V100 flawless since it was its first exposure to the world.

Furthermore, it was an export model. Usually they treat the "exports" with more care.

So, not good Guzzi, I agree....

If Piaggio had a CS system in Italy, I would tell them this is the best way to drop the reputation of a bike, even before it starts!

Beginning to see a lot of posts on Facebook about new owners and others checking out the V100 in dealerships.

So I expect we'll soon start to see even more owner reviews, feedback, and accessories/aftermaket... and maybe a dedicated forum for the model at some point ;)

It does seem very popular so far, many stating that it looks even better in person than in photos.

• Like 1

Checking my nearest dealer, I see they have a "sale pending" on a V100 Mandello S . . .

87b94b70-4abf-4bb9-8abd-267e7eb4979e_lar

Shore-do love that Tennis Green. B):rolleyes::whistle:

th?id=OIP.nYZwM01jw6bLk8fK7frYuwHaE8%26p

• Like 3

This is an interesting marketing approach and collaboration :huh:  

It's a quick read, and good for a chuckle :rolleyes:

I guess someone at MG is a big Woverine fan ^_^

https://www.motoguzzi.com/my_EN/moto-guzzi-world/news-moto-guzzi/marvel-graphic-novel/

https://read.marvel.com/#/book/61153

You can even buy your own physical copy here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275649335232

V100 MANDELLO AND MARVEL COMICS

Moto Guzzi, In collaboration with Marvel Entertainment, introduces Journey of Time, a custom comic book collectible commemorating the V100 Mandello. The new and highly anticipated Moto Guzzi stars in a fast-paced story alongside Wolverine, one of the most iconic mutants and popular super heroes in the Marvel Universe.

editorial_1.png?1663335399772

In Journey of Time, Wolverine finds himself battling ghosts from his past and having to take on Bullseye, one of Marvel’s most lethal super villains. In this story, the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello plays a prominent role in Wolverine’s history, along with a mysterious woman from his past.

With twists and turns, readers won’t want to miss this thrilling Marvel story, which includes a spectacular chase scene where the Moto Guzzi V100 proves to be a powerful and fast companion for the mutant with adamantium claws. And even in the past, Journey of Time will show how Wolverine and Moto Guzzi have crossed paths before, thanks to a first series V7, one of the Italian manufacturer’s most iconic models.

Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello is the brand new bike from the Eagle brand, a bike created to celebrate the brand’s one hundred year anniversary and which projects Moto Guzzi into a new century of success.

Featuring cutting-edge technology both in the brand new liquid-cooled twin-cylinder and in its fully loaded electronic riding-support package, V100 Mandello opens up an entirely new chapter in Moto Guzzi history, combining the sporty, quick, and agile nature of a true roadster on twisties with the travel and discovery vocation that have always been in the soul of every Moto Guzzi.

Viaggio nel Tempo - Journey of Time will be available in digital version from the link below and can be purchased in physical version at the Moto Guzzi Museum in Mandello del Lario and in the Piaggio Museum in Pontedera, as well as at participating Moto Guzzi dealerships.

• Haha 1

https://www.motociclismo.it/10-moto-piu-vendute-febbraio-2023-82299#

Report came in on Motociclismo.it, February sales data for Italy.

The V100 is not inside the top 10.

The top 10 are all adventure bikes, the Honda Africa Twin trusting the 1st place. Then Yamaha Tracer 9, Benelli TRK, BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada, Yamaha Ténéré, BMW GS Adventure, Honda NC750X;

It makes sense that Piaggio wants an adventure bike using the new V100.

I spoke to some friends about the V100 and they all are curious but would not purchase one, at least just not yet. Mainly because of the lack of dealerships, also they don't trust the brand to properly stick by the warranty rules.

I guess Moto Guzzi has that reputation of not honoring their obligations. MPH did tell me they opted out because of "issues". Also the Triumph / Royal Enfield dealership which I ask if they could add Moto Guzzi told me Piaggio said they had to take Aprilia too to get Guzzi.

I received a bunch of motorcycle magazines from Europe, and in one of them there is an information the V100's gear box is made in China!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, p6x said:

the V100's gear box is made in China!

So what?

The motorcycle industry of the People's Republic of China exceeds that of any country in the world with a motorcycle output of 17 million in 2019 [1] this is down from 22,891,700 in 2013, when 39.75% of the total production was exported

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_industry_in_China

I reckon there is probably a factory there somewhere that is capable of producing a decent gearbox if the client designs it right and is prepared to pay for quality control. :huh2: