Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)

p6x

On 3/27/2023 at 6:41 PM, audiomick said:

So what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_industry_in_China

I reckon there is probably a factory there somewhere that is capable of producing a decent gearbox if the client designs it right and is prepared to pay for quality control. :huh2:

Nothing...

My company shifted highly specialized oilfield tools from its own factories, to China. If you keep the same standards, it is not lower quality simply because it is not produced in Europe or in the USA. Obviously, it is a lot cheaper, and this is what everyone is looking for. However, there is a hidden con. By shifting your production, you lose talent, know how, machinery. I think the Covid years just introduced the mask crisis, when everybody realized that all the production came from China....

China is introducing very good quality bikes in the European market. The CFMoto 800 MT held its own when compared to the BMW F 750 GS.

Many European Motorcycle companies export their production to other countries. KTM, BMW and you will not be surprised if I tell you none of the Triumph sold in the USA are made in Hinkley.

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

That calling a you tube video a "sound check" is completely absurd. :grin:

Maybe he is in a band? that is why he called it a sound check?

I was surprised that Mistral would already have an exhaust designed for the V100; but according to Akrapovič, they work hand in hand with the factories in order to have the exhaust available at about the same time the bikes get commercialized.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, p6x said:

....why he called it a sound check?

I've seen quite a number of you tube videos that were claiming to be "sound checks" for some vehicle or other.

The idea that one can get a realistic idea of what something sounds like from a video that was recorded by a gopro, or better still a mobile telephone, that was then posted on the internet to be listened to on computer speakers, or maybe even a mobile telephone, is simply absurd. :huh2:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to ride one.  White Base Model.  The bike rips and I only had it in T mode.  I got it well over 90 criss crossing traffic in a couple of miles of city Interstate.  Certainly faster than any Guzzi I've ridden.   Didn't quite feel like a Guzzi, I didn't notice any torque dip with the throttle.  The bike was little more upright -I could use a little more rear tuck with the pegs.  It was stable in traffic, great pick up from the engine and sharp brakes.   So far as handling, I didn't have a chance to run it in many curves, the riding position could be better IMO with a little more leverage for the pegs.  No doubt that's a rider's preference deal.  In tour mode those little wings deployed and the bike was stable in very strong sidewind.  The owner told me that he could feel the difference when the active aero was on.  I'd say the closest bike would be the Yamaha 900 sport tourer in feel and performance.   The only thing I didn't like was chintzy header covers.  They just gotten the Green one in presold.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

In the current issue of Moto Magazine, www.motomag.com, the BMW R1250RS, Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S and Yamaha Tracer 9 were put through their paces.

Their format is to bring a non professional rider amid the journalists.

The Moto Guzzi held its own pretty well.

The classification was as below:

Styling: Moto Guzzi

Ergonomics: Yamaha, Moto Guzzi; mainly because the reach to the bars.

Engine sound: Moto Guzzi

City usage: Yamaha, Moto Guzzi; because of its turn radius.

Dynamism: last;

Pillion: last

Engine: deuce

Electronics: Moto Guzzi

Braking: Moto Guzzi/BMW

Here's what they say:

Pro:

-engine output

-global comfort

-driving and performances

Con:

Suspensions a bit firm, turn radius in city, active aerodynamics not useful, front a bit heavy when driving fast in tight curves.

Here's the results:

Comparatif sport-tourisme

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, LowRyter said:

I found some interesting info from Cameron.  The new Guzzi and my Duc 939 make similar horsepower over the same rev range and I learned a little about some similarities.  

My Ducati is called an "11 degree" engine, meaning mild cam duration with only 11 degree of overlap.  It seems both bikes have mild overlap but due lightweight valve train, still have high lift cams.  The Guzzi has finger followers whereas the Duc is a desmo.  This gives a wide power band and low emissions.  More overlap would mean peakier power at higher rpms and higher emissions.  The high lift cam still gets good airflow and power.

I’m going to just add this in here as further KC tech commentary

https://www.cycleworld.com/about-those-finger-followers-on-sportbike-engines/

• Thanks 1