Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)

p6x

Its interesting how manufacturers are having to design Euro 5 compliant (large) catalytic converters into their designs. But I still like the Greenie design, the concept reminds me of my (late) 2020 Suzuki Katana naked bike. 

I've always talked to Kalev11 that if Moto Guzzi would ever offer a new V11 Sport, I would be happy to buy it. Also like it in black.

Moto-Guzzi-V100-Le-Mans-Concept-Oberdan-Bezzi-03.jpg

I read somewhere that the deal post-acquisition was that Aprilia gets the sportbike segment and Guzzi the rest. Has that changed?

I will never forget the V11 successor that might have been, the story of which seems to have been excised from the historical record, Pierre Terblanche‘s V12 LM concept.

I know it was polarizing especially perhaps the headlight, but just look at that swingarm-shock combo and the underslung exhaust!

Not to mention the passive radiators for the valve heads. I rode for about two hours yesterday in 6 centigrade and the valve covers were worryingly hot so that radiator not only improved the lines in my humble opinion, it is also quite necessary.

At the time they came out with a bunch of models but never followed through ostensibly due to the aforementioned segmentation of the market by the Piaggio group.

I could only find two videos on YT about the Terblanche V12 LM, will look for and add them to the thread later.

I am excited about all the new model renders in this thread though, as I find the looks of the current line up including the V100 Mandello quite underwhelming.

guzzi-v12-lemans-2.jpg&thumbnail=414,233

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

I read somewhere that the deal post-acquisition was that Aprilia gets the sportbike segment and Guzzi the rest. Has that changed?

I will never forget the V11 successor that might have been, the story of which seems to have been excised from the historical record, Pierre Terblanche‘s V12 LM concept.

I know it was polarizing especially perhaps the headlight, but just look at that swingarm-shock combo and the underslung exhaust!

Not to mention the passive radiators for the valve heads. I rode for about two hours yesterday in 6 centigrade and the valve covers were worryingly hot so that radiator not only improved the lines in my humble opinion, it is also quite necessary.

At the time they came out with a bunch of models but never followed through ostensibly due to the aforementioned segmentation of the market by the Piaggio group.

I could only find two videos on YT about the Terblanche V12 LM, will look for and add them to the thread later.

I am excited about all the new model renders in this thread though, as I find the looks of the current line up including the V100 Mandello quite underwhelming.

guzzi-v12-lemans-2.jpg&thumbnail=414,233

Piaggio made a statement some time ago about their market segmentation by brand. Paraphrased:

[Aprilia is sport and racing, Moto Guzzi is travel, Vespa is lifestyle, and Piaggo is urban/commuting.]

At the time, I was relieved Moto Guzzi was not relegated to "lifestyle." :rasta:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Still not completely relegated to "lifestyle", I reckon, but that word (which I detest, in it's marketing sense...) is becoming more relevant in the "customer profile".

Shouldn't surprise anyone, the motorcycle market just isn't that which it was 40 years ago. Not that I mean that in a negative, or in fact any kind of valuative way. It is just a fact. Another fact is, the entire automobile and motorcycle and vehicle market in general makes a large part of its profit through the sale of optional extras on new vehicles.

With vehicles like semi-trailers, the extras can be justified with things like "cost of operation" and "safety" and "efficiency" (I am practically quoting presentations that I heard as a sound technician on a job here...).

For extras on a motorcycle, there is not much more to be said than "and if you add this, you'll be really, really cool". :huh2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

Piaggio made a statement some time ago about their market segmentation by brand. Paraphrased:

[Aprilia is sport and racing, Moto Guzzi is travel, Vespa is lifestyle, and Piaggo is urban/commuting.]

At the time, I was relieved Moto Guzzi was not relegated to "lifestyle." :rasta:

Thanks, that's sort of what I remember ... I should try to find the source for that statement, and whether it's still their mantra. I guess that unless their position changes, the Oberdan renders will remain just renders. I see the sense in it, in that the Guzzi twin is probably not a competitive engine design for a modern racing application, and the image of the Guzzi crowd is Eldorado-ean in any case (and Ante-diluvian, but I am dating myself here :oldgit:) but hey, us V11 guys are supposed to be the sporty ones, right? Rebels with a lost cause I guess...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

Docc, I still want & would buy a Sport Version Guzzi, not meant to be a knee dragger but maybe with the optional Ohlins semi-active suspension :race: :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Docc, I still want & would buy a Sport Version Guzzi, not meant to be a knee dragger but maybe with the optional Ohlins semi-active suspension :race: :ph34r:

You should invite MGNA (is that even a thing, anymore?) to bring a few V100 to the spring SpineRaid so that we can wring them out . . .

3 hours ago, audiomick said:

.For extras on a motorcycle, there is not much more to be said than "and if you add this, you'll be really, really cool". :huh2:

There always one non aesthetic factor in the "love" for a specific motorcycle; and just as perfume (those of you who have been on races in the 70's know the smell of "huile de Ricin" or Castor oil in English), it was the sound of the engine.

This is the reason, from as long as I can remember, we tried to swap our exhaust systems to enhance the sound.

As I was a two stroke engine guy, I installed an expansion chamber on my Gitane Testi equipped with a 50cc Motori Minarelli. For good measure, I upgraded the dell'orto carburetor too.

Later on, the Kawasaki triple hit the market, and the sound of a three cylinder is so melodious... none of the CB750 owners I knew kept the decibel killers in these four exhaust pipes. This is when 4 in 1 exhausts started to pop up.

The sound of your motorcycle would define you. Then the Benelli sei, CBX 1000, and KZ1300 completely redefined the field.

So, even today, many of us have installed after market exhaust systems on our beloved V11, or whatever Vx you roll with.

Are we really that much more cool because of them?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, p6x said:

Are we really that much more cool because of them?

No, generally not. But some (apparently far too many....) fall for the marketing bs and think they are, it seems. :huh2:

As far as the sound of an exhaust goes, yes, the Kawasaki triples sounded glorious. As did my Z900 (much better than a 750 Four... B) ), my mate's CBX, the couple of Z1300s that I have encountered, and so on.

There are, however, two things with the exhaust sound:

We tend to want a particular sound, I reckon, because we associate it with highly tuned motors. Simply hollowing out the baffles on a cheap exhaust never gets there, it generally just sounds like a loud fart. The snappiness of a race-tuned motor just isn't there. At some point in the future, I am quite convinced, young blokes will be fitting gadgets to their electric scooters to produce a "high-power whine" just like the race bikes the big boys ride, because that is what the (electric) race bikes they will have seen will have sounded like.

Secondly, back in the day you could really get a good bit more power out of a bike by putting an efficient exhaust on it. Expansion chambers for the two strokes, a good four into one for the '70's Japanes four cylinders, and so on. These days you can't. Full stop. If you are lucky, a good after market exhaust wont cost you power. Generally, they are just louder. I really can't see the point. :huh2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

Thanks, that's sort of what I remember ... I should try to find the source for that statement, and whether it's still their mantra. I guess that unless their position changes, the Oberdan renders will remain just renders. I see the sense in it, in that the Guzzi twin is probably not a competitive engine design for a modern racing application, and the image of the Guzzi crowd is Eldorado-ean in any case (and Ante-diluvian, but I am dating myself here :oldgit:) but hey, us V11 guys are supposed to be the sporty ones, right? Rebels with a lost cause I guess...

Haha, "Eldorado-ean "  . . . that is epic. :grin:

As for V11 guys being " the sporty ones ",  I recall a couple guys showing up at their first South'n Spine Raid and were most pleasantly amazed at the focus on riding. So much so that they planned their own SpineRaid.

I can't remember, I think they call it the "Y'all Come, Now! Ya Hear? SpineRaid " . . . ;)

(and bring your hotty-totty V100 Mandello for us to drool over!)

11 hours ago, docc said:

Haha, "Eldorado-ean "  . . . that is epic. :grin:

As for V11 guys being " the sporty ones ",  I recall a couple guys showing up at their first South'n Spine Raid and were most pleasantly amazed at the focus on riding. So much so that they planned their own SpineRaid.

I can't remember, I think they call it the "Y'all Come, Now! Ya Hear? SpineRaid " . . . ;)

(and bring your hotty-totty V100 Mandello for us to drool over!)

Its all about riding Moto Guzzi's, typically WFO if your following Docc's lead. With all the makings for a good "idea", and a great weekend spent laughing in the garage "Tech Sessions". Its a no brainer :homer:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, audiomick said:

Still not completely relegated to "lifestyle", I reckon, but that word (which I detest, in it's marketing sense...) is becoming more relevant in the "customer profile".

Shouldn't surprise anyone, the motorcycle market just isn't that which it was 40 years ago. Not that I mean that in a negative, or in fact any kind of valuative way. It is just a fact. Another fact is, the entire automobile and motorcycle and vehicle market in general makes a large part of its profit through the sale of optional extras on new vehicles.

With vehicles like semi-trailers, the extras can be justified with things like "cost of operation" and "safety" and "efficiency" (I am practically quoting presentations that I heard as a sound technician on a job here...).

For extras on a motorcycle, there is not much more to be said than "and if you add this, you'll be really, really cool". :huh2:

Audio Mick, don't forget to unlock the software. :nerd:

https://www.ktm.com/en-us/parts---wear/powerparts/products.powerpartscategory.html/software-enhancements-1001509769.c1/tech-pack-1002009522.prod?model=F9775V4