Moto Guzzi V100 Sport Tourer: water cooled, 120 HP (26th of August 2021)

p6x

On 8/28/2021 at 12:09 AM, VtwinStorm said:

More dino burners for me.

Electric? Ever see a Tesla on fire? Want to sit on one when it randomly goes hot while riding?

Hot exhaust is enough for me. 😂

I get preferring ICE motorcycles.

But fire is not a very good reason, ICE vehicles, including motorcycles, are far more likely to burn than an EV. I have watched plenty motorcycles burn to the ground. Not one of them was EV powered. Can an electric vehicle burn ? Sure. But it is a rarer event than an internal combustion powered vehicle burning.

If you want to hate EV's, hate them for real issues, like lack of range, time to recharge, and cost. But fire is a lame reason to hate them. A gasoline powered motorcycle is way more likely to burn than an electric motorcycle. Personally, I would love an electric motorcycle. An electric dualsport would be awesome. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy internal combustion motorcycles. They are great. But they are destined to go the way of the doodo bird. They are unsustainable in the bigger picture. So enjoy them while we can.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

I get preferring ICE motorcycles.

But fire is not a very good reason, ICE vehicles, including motorcycles, are far more likely to burn than an EV. I have watched plenty motorcycles burn to the ground. Not one of them was EV powered. Can an electric vehicle burn ? Sure. But it is a rarer event than an internal combustion powered vehicle burning.

If you want to hate EV's, hate them for real issues, like lack of range, time to recharge, and cost. But fire is a lame reason to hate them. A gasoline powered motorcycle is way more likely to burn than an electric motorcycle. Personally, I would love an electric motorcycle. An electric dualsport would be awesome. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy internal combustion motorcycles. They are great. But they are destined to go the way of the doodo bird. They are unsustainable in the bigger picture. So enjoy them while we can.

From my cold, dead hands. They have been saying gasoline would run out since when my father was a teen...in the 1950s. Oh, it will run out, but we have a very long way to go, and the electrical grid can't take 100-300 million cars/bikes charging daily. Most of that power is from dirty coal.

You forgot the destruction and costs of rare earth metals. One of the largest mines is in...Afghanistan. Another is in...China. These are unrealized costs.

It is not about hate, but choice. It is not an ICE or E-BIKE only thing. But, they do nothing for me.

100% torque at zero RPM is a bit dull. I need noise, vibration, drama, passion. It is like reaching orgasm with no buildup, no foreplay.

I prefer to be astride a living, breathing, belching, smoking, vibrating motorcycle. Something with a manual transmission, where I can feel the gears move under my foot when I shift, not some twist-and-go nearly silent, soulless appliance.

Full disclosure, I have never rode an electric motorcycle, but I've watched enough YT reviews, and watched enough "Guzzi tunnel run" videos to know which I will select. "Guzzi tunnel run" videos are why I started taking a look at the V11 and will shortly add one to my stable of other fine European machines.

Electric bikes? Leave that to the vegans. I will eat steak and ride a Ducati/Guzzi. I wish people with electrics all the best, truly, but no thank you. Electric cars/bikes are coming, no doubt about that, but I will not hasten the death of ICE cars/bikes.

I can't freakin' wait to get a V11.

• Like 5

GM just recalled every Bolt ever made because of fire risk, so there must be something to electric vehicle fires.

I have always heard the US power grid is archaic and inefficient and adding to the strain seems a bad idea.  

I like vehicles/bikes with character, I am starting to drive the older cars in my fleet more and more, I like to call them analog cars, they have throttle cables, clutches, no abs, no driver aids at all.

As far as the demise of the ohv engine, I have two letters for you, LS. Not a Chevy fan, but respect what they have done. Air cooled ohv may be a different story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HRC_V4 said:

GM just recalled every Bolt ever made because of fire risk, so there must be something to electric vehicle fires.

I have always heard the US power grid is archaic and inefficient and adding to the strain seems a bad idea.  

I like vehicles/bikes with character, I am starting to drive the older cars in my fleet more and more, I like to call them analog cars, they have throttle cables, clutches, no abs, no driver aids at all.

As far as the demise of the ohv engine, I have two letters for you, LS. Not a Chevy fan, but respect what they have done. Air cooled ohv may be a different story.

Totally agree.

VFRs were the best motorcycles Honda ever made. Good taste.

• Like 1

Interesting. I also saw my old VFR in that photo. It was an awesome bike that I rode 22,000 miles in two years. Just never could connect with it. It didn’t want my wrenches on it, either. (Everything was so hard to get to, it was just not enjoyable to work on.)

Vanilla is alright. Right up until the garlic and hot sauce comes along… 🌶 :race: :mg:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HRC_V4 said:

And the new (for 2020) Ford 7.3L "Godzilla" engine is basically an old-school hot rod OHV motor with actual pushrods. I have that engine in my F250. Supposedly, they built it that way to reduce total cost of ownership for fleet operators. But wow, it is a beast and deserves the Godzilla name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm torn on the V100, it is clear to see that it is a clean sheet of paper approach, only keeping the engine layout the same.  Engine layout would be more ST1100/1300 than VFR, although the style is slightly more VFR1200.  I think the engine layout has always made perfect sense in the air-cooled world, not sure it makes as much sense in the liquid cooled world, but would it be a Guzzi if any other layout was used?  I see the Quota style in it that someone mentioned, but the tires make it seem more a Sport or Sport Touring bike.  Hard saddle bags might balance the style of the bike out front to rear because it seems bigger/heavier at the front.

• Like 2

As usual the devil is in the detail as is the corporate mentality and philosophy. I'll keep my powder dry on this new bike until I see the specific finer details of the engine. The latest small blocks use a single piece rod with a slipper bearing and a pressed up crank with the cam drive sprocket integral to the crank. That tells me it's basically a disposable engine. Any significant issues and it's total replacement of major components which might be ok now but in years to come forget it. 

Distract everyone with the shiny stuff while you are making the stuff you can't see as cheap and cheerful and easy to make and cost effective for the manufacturer as possible. It's a design and corporate philosophy I don't like.  

Ciao 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are totally right, Lucky Phil.

I know that we aren't alone in wanting our hard-earned money going to purchase product which is built to last. Yet, more and more is produced with a "throwaway" mindset that I find insulting to the intelligence of the end user.

I also find it unethical and operating out of bad faith toward the customer.

That is why I like the V11 series so much. It is the last real gasp of old school Guzzi, flawed as it may be, but with an eye and thought to long-term serviceability.

My 696 is at least 13 Allen bolts and around 5 pieces away before you can remove the battery. One of the few operations on that machine that is unacceptable and an insult.

This is where we have been heading for a long time now. They really don't make them like they used to. Some of that is equal parts good and bad.

I have high hopes for the new Guzzis, but I'll wait and see.

• Like 1

How many people wear out a motorbike nowadays?

While I too am not fond of the throw away concept the fact is that as long as the components are essentially recyclable it makes a lot of sense.

Having just given my Griso a 140,000 km freshen up I see nothing that can't be repaired. Whether it will be possible due to parts availability in 20 years time is another matter but that won't matter to me......

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

As usual the devil is in the detail as is the corporate mentality and philosophy. I'll keep my powder dry on this new bike until I see the specific finer details of the engine. The latest small blocks use a single piece rod with a slipper bearing and a pressed up crank with the cam drive sprocket integral to the crank. That tells me it's basically a disposable engine. Any significant issues and it's total replacement of major components which might be ok now but in years to come forget it. 

Distract everyone with the shiny stuff while you are making the stuff you can't see as cheap and cheerful and easy to make and cost effective for the manufacturer as possible. It's a design and corporate philosophy I don't like.  

Ciao 

This is true of the current V7 smallblock? Is it actually also true of the V85 motor as used in the V85TT? Or do we know this, for certain, the distinctions between these current "small blocks?"

2 minutes ago, docc said:

This is true of the current V7 smallblock? Is it actually also true of the V85 motor as used in the V85TT? Or do we know this, for certain, the distinctions between these current "small blocks?"

The latest iteration of the V85 docc I believe and maybe the one before.

Ciao