Single Plate Clutch

dbarb3

After selling my 1200 Sport a few years back and going Japanese I am considering getting another Guzzi.

I am looking at a 2001 and from what I can read it has single plate clutch.  Is this just a matter of when or do some of this year model not have a clutch failure?

Some special models, like Scura, Ballabio and Tenni and is it one more had alu flywheels and single plate = trouble.  Woud think by now most of them have been sorted. Happy hunting.

Cheers Tom.

1 minute ago, Tomchri said:

Some special models, like Scura, Ballabio and Tenni and is it one more had alu flywheels and single plate = trouble.  Woud think by now most of them have been sorted. Happy hunting.

Cheers Tom.

Not Ballabio Tom, but the Rosso Mandello 2001 is included with the Tenni and Scura

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dbarb3 said:

After selling my 1200 Sport a few years back and going Japanese I am considering getting another Guzzi.

I am looking at a 2001 and from what I can read it has single plate clutch.  Is this just a matter of when or do some of this year model not have a clutch failure?

We/you need a bit more info because it could have the original (bad) flywheel OR it could be one that was replaced by an aftermarket single plate.

2 minutes ago, dbarb3 said:

2001 Rosso Mandelo

so if it is running the original single plate clutch, it is something to consider. It should be replaced imo before too many miles. The aluminum flywheel with those models is prone to cracking and maybe flying to bits causing considerable damage. Many have been replaced with RAM single plate with steel flywheel or the standard dual plate set up. Both work well. I chose the RAM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbarb3 said:

So I am looking at least $1500 if I have a shop do it

Gosh, ... that's a tough question. Not that many shops about that would know the particulars. I was quoted 2300 4 years ago but it was from a dealer I did not trust. The parts for a RAM replacement will be around 600. The parts for the std dual plate will run from 400 used to ?$?$? new. It's a labor intensive job as the tranny OR the motor has to be pulled to do it.  If you're just looking for a number to make an offer on a bike you might buy, IMO give yourself at least 1500-2000 'BUT' figure in that you know someone qualified to do it. That said, I did my own swap for only the cost of the clutch, and I'm not exactly a technician, just an extreme hobbyist with the good fortune of having this forum as a reference. It was a job I was scared to death to do but after it was done "that wasn't so bad".

Bottom line... an oem single plate clutch will want replacing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

MM I understood that the RM had original RAM parts where as others had cheap copies that were liable to explode (Says owner of an RM with 75k on clock with original flywheel & clutch)

I think you'll find that the OEM clutch used RAM components except for the flywheel that Guzzi sourced itself that were prone to failure. My bike has a RAM alloy unit in it and I'm not the slightest bit concerned. Aftermarket RAM units don't have a flywheel failure issue.

Ciao

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dbarb3 said:

So I am looking at least $1500 if I have a shop do it

To pick where @footgoose has left off, it is not so much about not being a "trained mechanic"; rather the required tooling to carry out the job safely is what makes it inaccessible to any other enthusiast.

I consider myself as a green horn with my V11, but I have already learned that getting the basic setup to work on your Guzzi is not as easy as I thought it would be. It is a relative investment, unless you are going to commit to do everything yourself.

Now speaking of workshops willing to carry out the job; I am fortunate to have several outfits willing to work on a Guzzi V11 2004 in my neck of the woods. I suppose you know, but a lot of motorcycle dealerships don't work on older bikes, including Guzzi official dealers.

I do not know where you are located in the USA, but you may want to check with whoever you think could do it, and make sure they would.

9 hours ago, cash1000 said:

MM I understood that the RM had original RAM parts where as others had cheap copies that were liable to explode (Says owner of an RM with 75k on clock with original flywheel & clutch)

I think this is correct. The Rosso Mandello was the first V11 to have the RAM parts. The Scuras and Tennis were made later (2002 models). The problem flywheels seem to be limited to the 2002 bikes. 

It seems safe to leave the stock unit in a Rosso Mandello. But I would absolutely replace it in a Scura or Tenni.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scud said:

I think this is correct. The Rosso Mandello was the first V11 to have the RAM parts. The Scuras and Tennis were made later (2002 models). The problem flywheels seem to be limited to the 2002 bikes. 

It seems safe to leave the stock unit in a Rosso Mandello. But I would absolutely replace it in a Scura or Tenni.

So.. there are two different flywheels for the single plate clutch setup offered in '01-'02? This is news to me. I'm no authority and was just going by what I've learned on this forum.  It does make me wonder why I swapped out my clutch/flywheel when I could have replaced the flywheel with one for an '01 RM.:homer:

So dbarb3, kindly disregard my input. With my apologies.

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

It does make me wonder why I swapped out my clutch/flywheel when I could have replaced the flywheel with one for an '01 RM.:homer:

That's if you could find a used one... and if we had known that at the time. 

On the other hand, I think the new RAM units that you and I both installed are improved. The flywheel is steel with 3 arms and the mass is more centralized than the huge aluminum disc flywheel.

• Like 1