Single Plate Clutch

dbarb3

Hi Chuck,

Took some pictures this morning…this is what I have available.

Mike had replaced it with a single plate California steel clutch assembly, was particularly hard to find…but he was able to locate one.  

F0478042-BBD1-422F-96E6-15EAD33908CA.jpeg

14F3E47B-FF7F-47AC-AB58-CE56739E699B.jpeg

2ABC4FEF-EA6F-4C72-86DC-D6C38A39B62F.jpeg

BC369FB4-6291-40DD-9AC5-048AC326073D.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2021 at 10:49 AM, Lucky Phil said:

If you mean "Guzzi specific tooling" there is only 1 and that's the flywheel holding tool which is cheap to buy and needed when torqueing up the flywheel bolts. Maybe a clutch plate alignment tool for the twin platers. Not necessary on a RAM single plate unit. The rest is just std tooling. Even buying a few special tools is a lot cheaper and easier than taking it to a Mechanic.

Ciao

Why don't you need a clutch plate alignment tool if you have a RAM single plate unit?

13 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Why don't you need a clutch plate alignment tool if you have a RAM single plate unit?

The RAM unit is delivered assembled to the flywheel as a unit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excuse me resurrecting and old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new "single plate clutch" thread.

It seems definitive that the Rosso Mandello, Scura and Tenni have single plate clutches and fragile flywheels; but for other models it's not 100% clear.   e.g. does such a beast exist as a V11 with a single plate clutch, but not the problematic flywheel?

I am possibly just about to pull the trigger on a 2003 Le Mans or a 2006 Ballabio, and it's surprisingly difficult to get definitive information about the clutches in these bikes.  I have read stuff on the web that says the Le Mans has a single plate clutch and also that the Ballabio has a cable operated, single plate wet clutch :rolleyes:

So I went looking for people who know what they're talking about and ended up here!

(I guess I should also post a new member introduction somewhere...)

• Like 3

On 1/12/2023 at 6:45 AM, Icenian said:

Excuse me resurrecting and old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new "single plate clutch" thread.

It seems definitive that the Rosso Mandello, Scura and Tenni have single plate clutches and fragile flywheels; but for other models it's not 100% clear.   e.g. does such a beast exist as a V11 with a single plate clutch, but not the problematic flywheel?

I am possibly just about to pull the trigger on a 2003 Le Mans or a 2006 Ballabio, and it's surprisingly difficult to get definitive information about the clutches in these bikes.  I have read stuff on the web that says the Le Mans has a single plate clutch and also that the Ballabio has a cable operated, single plate wet clutch :rolleyes:

So I went looking for people who know what they're talking about and ended up here!

Well, sir, you are in the right place to get to the bottom of all things V11 !

And you are correct that the potentially fragile [aluminium] flywheel, used only with the single plate clutch, is found only in the 2001 Rosso Mandello, and 2002 Scura and Tenni. All other V11 1999-2005 (let us know if you find a verified 2006!) have twin plate clutches over a steel (bombproof) flywheel.

There is still no final consensus if the aluminum flywheel failures are only from a batch/production run, or whether the problem may not have affected 2001 models (Rosso Mandello). a work in progress!

Looking forward to your introduction and hearing your V11 experiences. Welcome, @Icenian!

2 hours ago, Icenian said:

Welcome..This be the place!:bier:

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Useful information.  And maybe a lucky escape, as I was looking at a Rosso Mandello and a Scura  a few weeks ago!

The "2006" Ballabio is a bike registered for the road in in 2006, presumably a 2005 model left in the showroom.  I guess I can check the VIN, but I don't think it matters (in terms of deciding to buy) what model year it is - Ballabios were a short production run and all have the same spec. I think?

Just now, Icenian said:

Ballabios were a short production run and all have the same spec. I think?

as soon as I hit "submit" I realised what a stupid thing that was to say on a Guzzi forum

someone will be along in a minute with a catalogue of the 8 different variations of Ballabio that contrived to roll out of Mandello over a 2 year period :wacko:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Icenian said:

as soon as I hit "submit" I realised what a stupid thing that was to say on a Guzzi forum

someone will be along in a minute with a catalogue of the 8 different variations of Ballabio that contrived to roll out of Mandello over a 2 year period :wacko:

Haha, well, we do obsess over little nuances and variations of the V11 series. Yet, Ballabio are all the same "spec," AFAIK.  Whatever model V11 you end up with, use the tenth character of the VIN to determine what year Parts Catalog to order from. And what wiring configuration you have. And . . . B)

6 minutes ago, docc said:

Haha, well, we do obsess over little nuances and variations of the V11 series. Yet, Ballabio are all the same "spec," AFAIK.  Whatever model V11 you end up with, use the tenth character of the VIN to determine what year Parts Catalog to order from. And what wiring configuration you have. And . . . B)

download (3).png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1