Looking For A Good Dealer In The Southeast

buellish1

I have a friend wanting to put down a deposit on the new MG sport touring model. Unfortunately we don't have a decent dealer in the North Georgia area so we are looking for recommendations. Closest to us is Knoxville followed by Murfreesboro,Tn, Then Savannah, Charlotte and Jacksonville. Does anyone have an opinion on any of there dealers?                      I know he is probably a bit premature in wanting to put down a deposit, but when it's time I want to help welcome him into the fold.

Thanks in advance!

Seems to be a common dilemma. We lost our only dealer on Vancouver Island so a long trip across the water to Vancouver is the only alternative . Seems Piaggio doesn’t really care either. It’s put me off to the point that any further purchases just don’t make sense . Good luck with your decision and if a ferry ride was not involved would still consider a longer road trip.

Sloan's in Murphreesboro, TN, has a good reputation. My son has bought two new Moto Guzzi from them in the last seven years. They handled the sales well and have taken care of any warranty issues professionally.

Moto Guzzi, Piaggio even, is a minor line for them, but they have come through and have continued to market the Piaggio products. Hopefully, we will get to see this new V100 Mandello in the flesh soon.

Are demo rides too much to ask for? :mg::race:

I'm not sure that dealer's are involved in the new bike yet.  I talked to the local shop last week and he didn't even know there was a new Guzzi coming out.  He was happy to hear it from me.  

I called Savannah because I'd heard that they quit carrying Guzzi. The salesman I spoke with assured me that they did still carry the brand but he had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the new bike.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:37 AM, buellish1 said:

I have a friend wanting to put down a deposit on the new MG sport touring model. Unfortunately we don't have a decent dealer in the North Georgia area so we are looking for recommendations. Closest to us is Knoxville followed by Murfreesboro,Tn, Then Savannah, Charlotte and Jacksonville. Does anyone have an opinion on any of there dealers?                      I know he is probably a bit premature in wanting to put down a deposit, but when it's time I want to help welcome him into the fold.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, just to make sure I understood, are you referring to the V100? the model that has just been revealed by Guzzi?

If this is indeed the model your friend wants to make a deposit on, it maybe wise to wait until EICMA end of November 2021, to find out more about Piaggio's intention.

Given the production capacity of MG, I would not expect it to show up in the USA that quickly; and of course, that is if they intend to have it distributed here.

How close are you to Marietta Ga? https://vespamarietta.com/Brands/Manufacturer-Models/Model-List/Moto-Guzzi/Motorcycles

• Thanks 1

If the V11 introduction is any indication, Moto Guzzi revealed that at EICMA 1997 and I was finally able to buy mine in August 2000.

In all fairness, Piaggio "could" advance this lead time significantly relative to the owners at that transitional time (Finprogetti/TRG->Ivan Beggio/Aprilia). :mg:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, docc said:

If the V11 introduction is any indication, Moto Guzzi revealed that at EICMA 1997 and I was finally able to buy mine in August 2000.

In all fairness, Piaggio "could" advance this lead time significantly relative to the owners at that transitional time (Finprogetti/TRG->Ivan Beggio/Aprilia). :mg:

In all fairness, I would not use anything that happened twenty years ago to guess the future...

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that Moto Guzzi is a "niche" brand. We carry it here, but we are motorcycle enthusiasts as far as I can tell, and when I looked at the pictures of the Moto Guzzi gathering in Italy, I see guys representing the same age segment :-(

Without Piaggio, I am guessing Moto Guzzi would perhaps be like Benelli.

• Like 1

Docc, I appreciate your endorsement of Sloan's, that's the kind of input I'm looking for. p6x, I am referring to the V100. My friend is very impulsive and nothing I do will prevent him from trying to find someone to take his money, I can only try to find endorsements of one or more of the dealers I listed above and suggest he contact them to see what information they have regarding the new model. If I had a good opinion of Marietta Motorsports/Vespa/Moto Guzzi/Royal Enfield I would not be asking this question, as we live around 70 miles from them. I have traded with them in the past and have had a couple of friends that worked there, one in Vespa sales and one was the best Guzzi tech in the area and has since retired. I prefer a dealership that can give good service after the sale. I hope to hear opinions of a few of the other dealers listed above, good or bad. Thanks for the input guys.

• Like 1

It is my understanding from posts elsewhere that Sloan's uses 10W50 when servicing Guzzis.

I am NOT starting an oil thread, but, if true, it seems odd for a dealer to use oil contrary to the manufacturer's recommendation.

That could become interesting in the event of an engine failure within the warranty period.l

Lawyers make money in "interesting" disputes.  Few others are happy.

Bill

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, buellish1 said:

Docc, I appreciate your endorsement of Sloan's, that's the kind of input I'm looking for. p6x, I am referring to the V100. My friend is very impulsive and nothing I do will prevent him from trying to find someone to take his money, I can only try to find endorsements of one or more of the dealers I listed above and suggest he contact them to see what information they have regarding the new model. If I had a good opinion of Marietta Motorsports/Vespa/Moto Guzzi/Royal Enfield I would not be asking this question, as we live around 70 miles from them. I have traded with them in the past and have had a couple of friends that worked there, one in Vespa sales and one was the best Guzzi tech in the area and has since retired. I prefer a dealership that can give good service after the sale. I hope to hear opinions of a few of the other dealers listed above, good or bad. Thanks for the input guys.

@buellish1 I do not know Marietta, however I would like to say this; the objective is to purchase a V100. Marietta is likely to have some to sell, providing Moto Guzzi decides to commercialize it in the USA.

Nothing prevents you from purchasing the MG from Marietta, and get it maintained by a trustworthy shop. We do not necessarily need to maintain our motorbike at the dealership we purchased it from. The label "good service" has become illusory today. It is actually based upon the guy who is going to work on your motorcycle. The way it works, dealership usually have a single knowledgeable guy, most of the mechanics carrying the work are "helpers". I am not implying that it is wrong to learn "on the job". This used to be the norm when I was growing up, and to some extent, this is how I learned myself. But then, I went to a specific shool and got the theory and the understanding of the technology. Not something you get from general studies.

When you talk about about good service, I imagine this is not oil change related. The easy stuff, the knowledgeable technician is not going to do that. 

The rules of warranty stipulate that any dealership has to correct a defect on your motorcycle. While it makes sense that the guy you gave your money to should have the morale obligation, you should get the same treatment at any Moto Guzzi dealership. For the purpose of this conversation, we are going to assume your friend's V100 will never require any major repair under warranty. The risk to go as close as you can to get one should be minimal?

If you had a serious issue, MPH here would probably be able to take care of it under warranty. I will check with them. I have been behind the front desk many times, and I have seen how they work. My only concern is how much more are they going to be alive.... hopefully, longer than myself.

Yes, Georgia is not exactly next door to H'town, but at least you have one good option.