RR Oil Dipstick/Thermometer...

VtwinStorm

1 hour ago, Weegie said:

On another note seeing I'm on a roll.

Just acquired a Euro 4 BMW R9T, now that's different, BMW give you a little Yellow Triangle light, and a cute little engine outline with an explanation mark in the LCD.

That covers everything from complete loss of oil pressure to a sticky exhaust flapper valve.

You don't know until you hook up their diagnostic tool and a laptop or phone, to find out the code.

I need to find somewhere I can place a gauge or aux switch minimum.

Bee-emm guys seem to think that the bike will be fine in limp mode.................with no oil pressure............good fekin grief!!!

BMW Motorrad really, really hates their owners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Get back on topic you lot!!!!!!

I only bought the dammed thing because Guzzi has not been building anything I fancied since the Griso.

I briefly thought about building a Guareschi but the hassle expense and time I take to do anything would've ended up with me being too old to ride by the time I finished

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Weegie said:

Get back on topic you lot!!!!!!

I only bought the dammed thing because Guzzi has not been building anything I fancied since the Griso.

I briefly thought about building a Guareschi but the hassle expense and time I take to do anything would've ended up with me being too old to ride by the time I finished

I like BMW bikes, pre-'96, before they started building machines impossible to service, and not designed to last.

It won't hurt my V11 to have an oil temp gauge. I like gauges.

• Like 1

I got an oil temp gauge for my Scura because it looks cool. I can't read it while riding, and I never even think about it anymore, except when I check the oil - and I do that when it's cold.

But hey, it still looks cool.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Scud said:

I got an oil temp gauge for my Scura because it looks cool. I can't read it while riding, and I never even think about it anymore, except when I check the oil - and I do that when it's cold.

But hey, it still looks cool.

Well just to add another perspective (recalcitrant of course, because that's what I am :)) I think they are very uncool and a waste of time. Just techno bling and another piece of  redundant junk. As you pointed out you never really look at it anyway. Nice to know what the oil temp might be in a WCS but once you know that then it's redundant. 

Cool is actually only having fitted what's actually necessary, not ending up with the motorcycling equivalent of Graceland.   

Ciao

I fitted a "cool" alloy dipstick to the Sport for a while. It wasn't any easier to read the oil level and required a hex drive to remove and replace.

I went back to the factory stick. No, it ain't cool.  I tried to be cool once and my pants caught on fire. :o

• Haha 1

Just removed my oil temp device on my new green frame. Anoying flashing, light orange light, turning into steady orange. Saw it green 2 times in 25c traffic in the city. Drain plug on the new oil pan with outside oil filter was underneath, so no brainer. Lots of wiring and an extra black box gone.   All my engines are given time to get ready.

Cheers Tom.

12 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Just removed my oil temp device on my new green frame. Anoying flashing, light orange light, turning into steady orange. Saw it green 2 times in 25c traffic in the city. Drain plug on the new oil pan with outside oil filter was underneath, so no brainer. Lots of wiring and an extra black box gone.   All my engines are given time to get ready.

Cheers Tom.

:bier:             "  IPA time  "          ;)  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well just to add another perspective (recalcitrant of course, because that's what I am :)) I think they are very uncool and a waste of time. Just techno bling and another piece of  redundant junk. As you pointed out you never really look at it anyway. Nice to know what the oil temp might be in a WCS but once you know that then it's redundant. 

Cool is actually only having fitted what's actually necessary, not ending up with the motorcycling equivalent of Graceland.   

Ciao

I would generally agree with you. But since I spent money on it, I am suffering from confirmation bias. Subconsciously, I would rather find a reason that my past decision was good than admit that I wasted money on something useless. Of course, if it is subconscious, one has wonder how I could write such a thing.

And Graceland... it would be a very long and slippery slope before I found myself there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scud said:

I would generally agree with you. But since I spent money on it, I am suffering from confirmation bias. Subconsciously, I would rather find a reason that my past decision was good than admit that I wasted money on something useless. Of course, if it is subconscious, one has wonder how I could write such a thing.

And Graceland... it would be a very long and slippery slope before I found myself there. 

Yes I understand. I apply the opposite logic when I buy something, I'm a harsh marker and if it turns out to be a "less than optimal purchase decision" I'll cleanse my soul about it on the internet and let others know. In the car forum world I learned about confirmation bias when I bought a few "must have because the std item is shit" accessories and found when I actually took delivery of the car that the std items were quite acceptable. Not only did they overstate the usefulness of the accessory part they also trashed the OEM. Resold a few items as they just weren't necessary. The car world is quite rife with silliness, such as anything Billet aluminium is automatically better than the std plastic or steel item. Until the Billet item starts to degrade and fail of course and even then the purchasers will continue to delude themselves about it even when it's pointed out the std OEM item lasts for years and gives no problems.

Visit the Royal Enfield forum and witness the stuff those guys bolt onto their bikes. Leather laced handlebar grip covers with 1 foot long dangly bits on the end and that's just the low end of the scale. Scary.  

Ciao   

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Phil, Phil. C'mon, you know you just have to have a set of 'Get back whips' on your RE! You won't be allowed to sit with the cool kids if you don't!:lol:

Ha, thats the least of it Pete. How about leather mini saddlebags to replace the side covers or a miniature brass old style wooden wheeled artillery piece bolted to the front of the front mudguard. Why? well because RE's old motto was "built like a gun". Everyone over there seems to think all this is great stuff. I'm just throwing up in my mouth.

Oh btw, big believers in the piggy back air temp sensor modifier for the EFI tuning.

Ciao  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ha, thats the least of it Pete. How about leather mini saddlebags to replace the side covers or a miniature brass old style wooden wheeled artillery piece bolted to the front of the front mudguard. Why? well because RE's old motto was "built like a gun". Everyone over there seems to think all this is great stuff. I'm just throwing up in my mouth.

Oh btw, big believers in the piggy back air temp sensor modifier for the EFI tuning.

Ciao  

Yeah, well, I've had lots of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi pals over the years and most of them loved tat like that.:lol: Thing is with at least a few of them I knew that they were saying shit to wind me up. A lot of the time they knew I knew that they knew I was being wound up. It's a very sub-continental form of humour and they all love sticking it to the 'Old Colonialists'. @#!#$# 'em!:D

Air temperature sensor foolers are the modern day equivalent of wearing a shrunken head fetish around your neck to ward off devils. Just slightly less smelly and likely to give you a disease. I break wind, playfully, in their general direction!

Anyway, I thought the mapping was pretty good straight out of the box? Or is this just one of those things that people do to say FU to 'The Government' and anti pollution laws?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Weegie said:

@po18guy jokes about ignorance being bliss but honestly I've came across people who really don't want to know.

At times, my keen sense of wit has a 3000 RPM hiccup.

True life file: Had I known that a crankshaft roller bearing on my 305cc Yamaha was about to fuse itself at 110 clicks on the motorway, I'd have had an absolutely nervous ride. As it was, I experienced only a few brief moments of stark terror, left hand clamping clutch lever to bar whilst I weaved between faster traffic toward the roadside. To this day, I still cover the clutch lever as I ride.  

• Like 2