My Stelvio coughs on overrun and does not like idling!

LangleyMalc

Enjoyed the youtube video which was very informative.  Thanks.  

Now to get the Grandson's computer to start the process and to take a trip to the garage after dark.  More in the next week!

Thanks Pete,

a comprehensive & clear explanation of the procedure.

If the oil level has been too high on the dipstick and there is oil in the airbox, leading to a suspicion of gummed throttle bodies. Do you find a way to squirt carb / throttle cleaner in the TB’s & the stepper motor? What’s your approach to cleaning the TB’s ?

For cleaning the TB's I just take them off. Yeah, getting the airbox in and out is a bit of a pain but as long as you don't over fill the sump you really don't have to do it very often. When Michael was swapping my gearbox on the Griso for a Sport 1200 one a few weeks ago we pulled the TB's off and they were pretty grubby after 40,000 or so Km and needed doing but this had been exacerbated by me over-filling the big Green Pig for ages. I've got one of those oil temperature gauge dipsticks, (Initially because I was interested in oil temperatures but now I just keep it because I'm a wanker!) and I'd forgotten I'd marked it with a 'Full' mark to be used on the sidestand. I'd been using it with the bike upright which adds about 1/2 a litre more oil that it needs and it was simply pumping it out into the airbox. I've given myself a slap on the wrist and suitably severe talking to, (Made worse by Michael rolling his eyes and not saying anything!:bbblll:) but generally, as long as you don't over fill it I would think every 30,000 km should be fine. Really it's a matter of looking and judging for yourself. If they look grubby? It's probably time!

As for cleaning the stepper? I simply get the bike warm and pull the stepper hose off the front left of the airbox, turn on the stepper activation with Guzzidiag and spray carby cleaner down the hose while goosing the throttle! Repeat unti the stepper works properly!

Once the TB's are on the bench it's a pretty simple matter to scrub them clean with carby cleaner and a soft brush and gentle cloth. It's actually quite impressive how much nicer the bike will run after this is done and it's given a proper tune-up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete roper said:

For cleaning the TB's I just take them off. Yeah, getting the airbox in and out is a bit of a pain but as long as you don't over fill the sump you really don't have to do it very often. When Michael was swapping my gearbox on the Griso for a Sport 1200 one a few weeks ago we pulled the TB's off and they were pretty grubby after 40,000 or so Km and needed doing but this had been exacerbated by me over-filling the big Green Pig for ages. I've got one of those oil temperature gauge dipsticks, (Initially because I was interested in oil temperatures but now I just keep it because I'm a wanker!) and I'd forgotten I'd marked it with a 'Full' mark to be used on the sidestand. I'd been using it with the bike upright which adds about 1/2 a litre more oil that it needs and it was simply pumping it out into the airbox. I've given myself a slap on the wrist and suitably severe talking to, (Made worse by Michael rolling his eyes and not saying anything!:bbblll:) but generally, as long as you don't over fill it I would think every 30,000 km should be fine. Really it's a matter of looking and judging for yourself. If they look grubby? It's probably time!

As for cleaning the stepper? I simply get the bike warm and pull the stepper hose off the front left of the airbox, turn on the stepper activation with Guzzidiag and spray carby cleaner down the hose while goosing the throttle! Repeat unti the stepper works properly!

Once the TB's are on the bench it's a pretty simple matter to scrub them clean with carby cleaner and a soft brush and gentle cloth. It's actually quite impressive how much nicer the bike will run after this is done and it's given a proper tune-up.

They come up nice in the Ultrasonic cleaner.

Ciao

I don't doubt it but getting the TPS out of the RH TB is pretty much impossible without buggering it on the big throttlebodies and you'd also have to remove the stepper if you wanted to plunge-bath the whole lot. I'm too lazy for that.:P

• Like 1

Hi Pete

with the lumpy idle, could this be the stepper system getting clogged?  I presume it is worth cleaning it no matter what, along with the rest of the service and throttle body reset.