Ohlins Front Fork damping adjustment

PeterT

I've just changed the fork oil on my V11 with the Ohlins suspension myself after having the forks professionally restored some 12000 miles ago.  (They were giving me oil leak problems and the mechanic saw some minor corrosion/pitting that he thought might be responsible for new seals not curing the problem.  Since getting them professionally recoated and nitrided I have had no problems.  The company I used was Brookes Suspension in Leeds, UK) 

In looking for information prior to changing the fork oil I looked at various sources of information and in doing so I saw what appears to be a mistake in the Guzzi Owners manual or the Ohlins documentation.  The Guzzi manual says that the Allen key adjustment at the top of the forks is for compression damping and the Allen key adjustment at the bottom is for rebound damping.  However, I also found on the internet, an Ohlins PDF document for the FG43 fork for the Moto Guzzi Scura (that I'm assuming is the same as my 2005 Cafe Sport) that very clearly shows the top adjuster is for rebound and the bottom for compression damping.  Which is right or have I picked up the wrong Ohlins documentation?  Having partially dismantled the forks I am tempted to try experimenting with adjusting them and perhaps re-setting them up since I am on the "lighter than average" side and my Ghezi-Brian conversion took 30kgs off the weight; hence my interest in clearly understanding what does what before I start.  Can anyone clear up this confusion? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterT said:

I've just changed the fork oil on my V11 with the Ohlins suspension myself after having the forks professionally restored some 12000 miles ago.  (They were giving me oil leak problems and the mechanic saw some minor corrosion/pitting that he thought might be responsible for new seals not curing the problem.  Since getting them professionally recoated and nitrided I have had no problems.  The company I used was Brookes Suspension in Leeds, UK) 

In looking for information prior to changing the fork oil I looked at various sources of information and in doing so I saw what appears to be a mistake in the Guzzi Owners manual or the Ohlins documentation.  The Guzzi manual says that the Allen key adjustment at the top of the forks is for compression damping and the Allen key adjustment at the bottom is for rebound damping.  However, I also found on the internet, an Ohlins PDF document for the FG43 fork for the Moto Guzzi Scura (that I'm assuming is the same as my 2005 Cafe Sport) that very clearly shows the top adjuster is for rebound and the bottom for compression damping.  Which is right or have I picked up the wrong Ohlins documentation?  Having partially dismantled the forks I am tempted to try experimenting with adjusting them and perhaps re-setting them up since I am on the "lighter than average" side and my Ghezi-Brian conversion took 30kgs off the weight; hence my interest in clearly understanding what does what before I start.  Can anyone clear up this confusion? 

Top is rebound bottom is compression. Guzzi manuals are riddled with mistakes some of which are translation related and some because they obviously get the girl in the office fresh out of he Literature degree to create them. "Hey, isa justa words and pictures for the anglo's" 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks, I thought the Ohlins documentation was more likely to be correct but I thought someone would know for sure.  Just worth checking before I start "fiddling" with the settings.

• Like 1