Help for an EV

fubar guzzi

I've tried two years to make my 98 EV roadable, the problem is the ICU----I cannot figure how to do Guzzidiag.I changed out the ICU for a MY ICU so now all that should be necessary is to connect the computer to Guzzidiag/motorcycle. I have computer +all connections ,I cannot do this ,so, is there someone in the Tenn. area that can bail me out????????? I will trailer the bike to desinated place third week Feb.2022                                

20 minutes ago, fubar guzzi said:

I've tried two years to make my 98 EV roadable, the problem is the ICU----I cannot figure how to do Guzzidiag.I changed out the ICU for a MY ICU so now all that should be necessary is to connect the computer to Guzzidiag/motorcycle. I have computer +all connections ,I cannot do this ,so, is there someone in the Tenn. area that can bail me out????????? I will trailer the bike to desinated place third week Feb.2022                                

Guzzidiag isn't designed to work with the MYecu as far as I know. Have you contacted Cliff Jeffries? I have a Myecu and it has it's own stand alone communications system.

Ciao  

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, fubar guzzi said:

My'98 EV runs fine with the original computer and NO mods, PC or Diag.

The stock computer is LITERALLY a pain in the butt*  but the bike runs fine.  I have 69k miles on it.  Just rode it today.

Why did you mess with computer in the first place?

* the computer is bigger than a 1967 CB radio and is notched under the seat.   :homer:

21 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

^^^^^^^^

If the bike doesn't run right, I'd start with the stupid TPS.

Not bad thinking, at all.

@fubar guzzi's TPS thread:

And his "Help Starting" thread:

Maybe there are some clues in this discourse . . . :huh2:

On the 98 computer box there is a trim dial in the housing, may be covered by a plug. If someone messed with that the ride ability can really suffer. About 1/4 turn in the wrong direction can make it buck stutter or seam like your running out of gas. It should run ok even if the TPS is at 133 but if you can't get it to the 157 number maybe your base setting is wrong. Did you set TPS with both throttle stops fully out?

you can get the Fuel Injection supplement at thisoldtractor.com which can show you how to read fault codes that can be flashed on a small red LED usually under a side cover or near the battery. On the cal 1100 the red light was on the dash.

one other thought and easy to check. The crank position sensor (right side of bell housing) can accumulate "swarf" pull it out and clean that off, there might be a shim or two under the flange so don't loose that.

• Like 1

^^^^ He's running a My ECU. All Guzzi stuff can be ignored. Roadkyll spent 2 days at the Ohio rally working on it. The last I knew.. he'd changed out the TPS that was dead. Then, he put in the MyECU because it seemed the original was tits up, and Fubar had one. Sorry, Fubar, but knowing the history, and seeing the wiring that went uh.. ? I studiously avoided getting involved, but it sounded pretty good when Matt ran it up the road..

Fubar, I certainly mean no offense.. you are a good guy, and I hate to say this. I am going to give you some tough love, though. Back when you first started down this path on WG, I.. and others.. could see that you didn't fully understand the terminology of the things we were telling you to check. You still don't. GuzziDiag won't work with the MyECU. In my opinion, it is going to take someone that understands MyECU, and can go through the electrical system. It is way beyond an internet forum to troubleshoot.

I see Chuck, and guess RK would have checked the crank sensor for swarf? Pretty sure the myECU would still use the crank sensor?

if me I would try going back to an original ECU and start with the basics. The 98 EV was a pretty reliable system, no?

Morning all,thank you Chuck you summed it up well----no offense taken,you tell it like it is.The MY ecu is set up much the same as the oem ecu,the 98 model has little room  for computer repair while the MY ecu is much the same as a latter model, it must be set up by lap top+ there is no manual fuel adjustment as on the 98 model.The 98 is different from all other models(97-99 etc.). Jefferies MY ecu will explain all that is needed to set up ecu----I CANT OPERATE THE COMPUTER--- I can set it up turn it on thats it----what I need is someone that is familiar with guzzidiag+can operate a lap top----now,forget guzzidiag+go to Jefferies MYecu it will explain all needed to know,both systems are VERY similar.I bought a new Dell lap top RK said it wouldn't connect so he used his own,that's when he found the oem ecu to be defective,time did not allow further exploration.     THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT

I would recommend getting an ECU reflash then having your TPS switch adjusted and throttlebodies synched. 

I would recommend Guzzitech but right now due to EPA crap it's hard to find people to program ECUs. 

But try synching your throttlebodies and adjusting your TPS first. If that don't do it have someone reprogram your ECU. 

Not to be patronizing but check all your rubber bits to make sure nothing's cracked or overtightened. I've made that mistake.