Rocking the forks

po18guy

3 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

I don't agree.

For example if both wheels  are the same width and on track then the straight line will tell that if you move the track of one 5mm then the other is obviously the same 5mm out.

I think that you are missing that if you move 5mm right then you lose 5mm left between the straight edges (plural) and the 'gap' remains constant..

My head hurts.

So if I string line a bike from the rear wheel using a pair of stands at the front or use a parallel and I measure the gap from the parallel or string to both sides of the front wheel and get a measurement of 20mm on one side and 30mm on the other side what is the track deviation? In my world it's a bike that's track is 5mm out of alignment. 

What about you?

Ciao  

11 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

So if I string line a bike from the rear wheel using a pair of stands at the front or use a parallel and I measure the gap from the parallel or string to both sides of the front wheel and get a measurement of 20mm on one side and 30mm on the other side what is the track deviation? In my world it's a bike that's track is 5mm out of alignment. 

What about you?

Ciao  

Easy to agree that 20mm plus 5 = 30mm minus 5 . . .

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Maybe I was explaining it wrong docc or we are at crossed purposes. 

Ciao

I agree now Phil, thanks for bring patient. 

The bit that I found hard to explain was -

"Now lets assume you move the "centre line"  of the front wheel one way by 5mm the measured gap between the sides of the front wheel to the straight edges will now be a 10mm "difference" in measurement."

The 'difference' you meant was between  the two gaps (plural) and I took it to mean the total gap (singular) as there is no 's' on the word measurement.

Anyhow, moving on.

Thanks.

• Like 2