Position 2 relay

cash1000

I'm away on a trip down east coast and back up west coast of South Island New Zealand. During 1st day of trip taco horn headlight brake light oil light stopped working.  I got going again by wiggling relays. But they died again. From Martynz we have worked out it relay number 2. I've tried the spare relays I've got but no go. I tried pushing the wires under relay . This worked until I put seat back.  I can get back home the way bike is. But we thought relay 2 handles charging of battery. In which case I could end up on side of road with a flat battery. Are we correct in thinking relay 2 does handle charging the battery? 

1 hour ago, cash1000 said:

I'm away on a trip down east coast and back up west coast of South Island New Zealand. During 1st day of trip taco horn headlight brake light oil light stopped working.  I got going again by wiggling relays. But they died again. From Martynz we have worked out it relay number 2. I've tried the spare relays I've got but no go. I tried pushing the wires under relay . This worked until I put seat back.  I can get back home the way bike is. But we thought relay 2 handles charging of battery. In which case I could end up on side of road with a flat battery. Are we correct in thinking relay 2 does handle charging the battery? 

Yes the regulator on the early bikes senses the battery voltage off the lights system power wire which is switched by the headlight relay. On the later bikes it doesn't.

Ciao  

Sorry I couldn't put much time into helping earlier today. 1 year old granddaughter was keeping me busy. 

Phil's comments are supported by Kiwi_Roy's diagrams attached. A local Dunedin auto-electrical shop should be able to see which spade terminal is pushing back in the socket, and replace it. I don't have the type of female spade terminals that are made with the retainer hook on the back. I'm ordering some tonight in case you ever make it back home. :unsure:.  

Spade Terminal.jpg

Charging Circuit Problems.pdf Charging Circuit Reference.pdf

On the early V11, Relay 2 provides those functions through its Normally Open contact, but the current is routed through the weaker Normally Closed contact of Relay One. 

An important position for a High Current relay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Thanks Phil for info. Many thanks Marty. I was away with family most of the day. 

Rob (O2V11) called me and offered to drive to Dunedin from Edendale with spare parts if you needed anything, as his bike is waiting for a crankcase vent hose. Kind offer, but I think the part you need is a single use terminal. I hope I'm right.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

It looks like there is a break in a wire. I don't have skill or tools to sort it here so I've got bike booked at local bike shop today.

If you confirm the wire is the root cause, please share; Was the wire kinked? exposed in some way so it could get damaged?

34 minutes ago, p6x said:

If you confirm the wire is the root cause, please share; Was the wire kinked? exposed in some way so it could get damaged?

He is taking it to a shop today. Hopefully we will know more tomorrow. Or when he gets home.

All fixed. Bike shop found relays 1 & 2 not contacting.  Invoice has full explanation.  I can't up load it off my phone but I've emailed it to MartyNZ. Maybe he can. Back on the road soon. Off to Wanaka

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cash1000 said:

All fixed. Bike shop found relays 1 & 2 not contacting.  Invoice has full explanation.  I can't up load it off my phone but I've emailed it to MartyNZ. Maybe he can. Back on the road soon. Off to Wanaka

They fixed the bike and lightened your wallet.

Invoice.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"The Changeover Start Relay" . . . .

[Makes one curious what specific relays came out, as well as what relays were selected to install as replacements. . .]