I've got a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIIs mounted on my short red frame V11 Sport...

VtwinStorm

(Ugh! Not another tire thread!)

They certainly look the business.

I have a set on one of my 900SSes, and they are great.

How do they handle with the tiny rear wheel and heavier weight of a V11?

I really didn't want another set of Angel GTs...three of my bikes already run those, and they are good but not as sticky as I prefer.

Came from a set of Dunlop Sportmaxxes, which were... adequate but didn't set my heart on fire. Admittedly, they were old...

I'm running the Diablo Rosso IIIs either way...just excited for Spring and want to daydream about riding my V11 during sunrise on a July morning with no traffic...Le Sigh...

Any thoughts are appreciated, friends!

Dunlop Sportsmart TT, D put a smile in my face, tinyer the better = 160.  Were talking public streets here, I USE my bikes, ææh every time with new tires is great,but best feeling for a while when were mentioning stickiness those Dunlop's. Tiny nervous at v low speeds,just my opinion. Hope next pair will behave the same way.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Dunlop Sportsmart TT, D put a smile in my face, tinyer the better = 160.  Were talking public streets here, I USE my bikes, ææh every time with new tires is great,but best feeling for a while when were mentioning stickiness those Dunlop's. Tiny nervous at v low speeds,just my opinion. Hope next pair will behave the same way.

Cheers Tom.

Tom, have you tried Diablo Rosso IIIs on the V11?

Those Pirelli "Rossi*" 3's came on my 2017 Ducati SS 937 as OEM.  I really liked them.  The Duc brand rear lasted nearly 5k, the "generic" Rosso 3 replacements lasted about about 4k.

After a couple of generic Rossi 3 rear tires (and another front), I replaced them with Dunlop Roadsmarts that I've also been using on my Greenie.  The Dunlops seem to handle just as well, will go long(er) and cost a lot less <Guzzi content :huh:>.  Regarding the Rosso 3's the Ducati branded tire did seemed to last longer, they cost a few dollars more but take time for delivery.  

I understand the Diablo Rosso 3's have been replaced by the Rosso 4's.  For myself, I'm sticking with the Dunlops.  Pirellis DR just are not worth the cost and limited longevity. 

Let us know how your experience compares to mine.

* The tech that ordered the replacement Pirellis called them the "Rossi" tire :luigi:.

• Haha 2

I  like the Rosso Corsa Diablo II's the best.

My Rosso Corsa came with the  Diablo II's on it and I loved them, so I put another Set on it when those aged out and they were great too, I Have the Rosso Corsa II's  on my Scura right now and they are awesome, in fact I have a new pair of them set aside for when/if these wear out, My Ducati 950 SSS came with the Rosso Corsa III's on it and they  are working  very well.

If Milage is your #1 Concern when buying  tires then these may not suit you. If great cornering and smooth transitions into corners at speed and tracking is most important I don't feel you can beat the Rosso Corsa II's.

I used to run Michelin's on all my bikes..they were good..but imo no comparison to RC's for the feel I get  during more  Spirited riding....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KINDOY2 said:

I  like the Rosso Corsa Diablo II's the best.

My Rosso Corsa came with the  Diablo II's on it and I loved them, so I put another Set on it when those aged out and they were awesome too, I Have the Rosso Corsa II's  on my Scura right now and they are awesome, in fact I have a new pair of them set aside for when/if these wear out, My Ducati 950 SSS came with the Rosso Corsa III's on it and they  are working  very well.

If Milage is your #1 Concern when buying  tires then these may not suit you. If great cornering and smooth transitions into corners at speed and tracking is most important I don't feel you can beat the Rosso Corsa II's.

I used to run Michelin's on all my bikes..they were good..but imo no comparison to RC's for the feel I get from the RC's for more  Spirited riding....

I don't care about mileage. I have 5 bikes and three cars.

I replace tires on my bikes every three years no matter what. I never get anywhere near 5k on a set.

I want grippy, good cornering and braking. Otherwise, I would be riding some bagger like a Road King or BMW GS....lol

I want sporty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

my '00 has the Diablo II's as well (70's) and they're great.

I don't care at all about mileage either. Stick to the road please.

Exactly. I want to lean the bike and not have it slide away...learned my lesson with cheap hard tires when I was a teen!

I'll take one step under racing slicks, if I want to really ride. Cheap insurance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

Tom, have you tried Diablo Rosso IIIs on the V11?

No, not on the V11. But on a 1000 RR HP4, great tires, lasted almost 2000m :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Corso tries are full sport.  The "Rossi's" are touring sports, not sport touring.  For my Greenie and my Duc, I'm going for the sport touring, after a few miles they seemed to handle the same.  Dunlops costs a lot less too.   Haven't ridden the Corso but I'm too cheap to try.

• Thanks 1

This is my second set of Rosso III (180/55-17). I have always used “sport touring (?)” type of tires on my V11.  All around driving, mainly curvy roads, sometimes a careful beginners track day. “Good handling, sporty behavior.”  Was rated the best in many tests in Europe back in 2017, now cheaper because of the age. Rosso IV is replacing these, I understand (already discontinued?).  I have used also Metzeler Sportec M7 RR, Bridgestone S20 and Continental Sport Attack 2.  And to be honest... "italian tires for italian bike...".

IMG_11Nov2021at214311.jpg

Edited by Camn
Some new information added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Camn said:

This is my second set of Rosso III (180/55-17). I have always used “sport touring” type of tires on my V11.  All around driving, mainly curvy roads, sometimes a careful track day. “Good handling, sporty behavior.”  Was rated the best in many tests in Europe back in 2017, now cheaper because of the age. Rosso IV is replacing these  (already discontinued?).

IMG_11Nov2021at214311.jpg

This gives me a good deal to look forward to in the Spring.

A new set mounted and balanced was $500 USD, but from what I hear, these will be great on the V11.

I've tried a few different tyres on my V11 and carefully logged the wear rate and experience.  Starting with Metzler Sportec M5 that felt a bit less grippy in the damp and wet and would feel "squemish" when traversing painted while line in the wet.  They only lasted 4k miles.  I then tried Metzler Sportec M7RR; the latest version at the time.  They felt a bit better in the wet and the life was about the same; around 3.5 to 4,5k miles with slightly more life for the front than the rear, although I always change both at the same time to keep them in step and avoid having to spend even more time going to the tyre shop.

I then tried Pirelli Rosso III's.  They were even better than the Metzler in the wet and lasted a bit longer too; 5k at the rear and, potentially 6k on the front.  I then tried Pirelli Rosso Corsa II's and they were a bit better still in the wet and possibly wear very slightly better as I got 5.5k out of the last pair (though this might be that I'm getting smoother or slower) and I've fitted these the last three times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, PeterT said:

I've tried a few different tyres on my V11 and carefully logged the wear rate and experience.  Starting with Metzler Sportec M5 that felt a bit less grippy in the damp and wet and would feel "squemish" when traversing painted while line in the wet.  They only lasted 4k miles.  I then tried Metzler Sportec M7RR; the latest version at the time.  They felt a bit better in the wet and the life was about the same; around 3.5 to 4,5k miles with slightly more life for the front than the rear, although I always change both at the same time to keep them in step and avoid having to spend even more time going to the tyre shop.

I then tried Pirelli Rosso III's.  They were even better than the Metzler in the wet and lasted a bit longer too; 5k at the rear and, potentially 6k on the front.  I then tried Pirelli Rosso Corsa II's and they were a bit better still in the wet and possibly wear very slightly better as I got 5.5k out of the last pair (though this might be that I'm getting smoother or slower) and I've fitted these the last three times.

Great writeup, Peter. Thank you!