I am an idiot...might have lost my set of keys...what to do next?

VtwinStorm

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

I "lost" the Centauro key one time when I'd stopped for a few minutes. Looked everywhere, pockets, made concentric circles around everywhere I'd been. Gave up on that, and found that somehow, I'd knocked the key out of the ignition when I shut it off, and it had fallen down between the tank and frame.

That is exactly what happened to me with the RM

Not sure how it all happened but couldn't believe it when I found them.

Ciao

• Like 2

UPDATE: VTwinStorm is indeed a dumbass and left his precious V11 Sport keys (all three of them) in his car (tiny sliding tray in the dash that I put them in).

Docc, please file this under "D'oh!!!"

I have now separated the rings, erm, keys, one to ride the V11, one to dream the V11, one to rule all the V11 Sports...The one true key is three!

One in the safe, one in my key wallet,  and the last one in my OTHER safe!!!

I'll never make this potentially devastating mistake ever again.

KINDOY2, thank you for being there for me, if the devastating loss of all three (I'm such an idiot!) of my keys were lost. I love this forum, I love all of you fine V11 riders, and most of all, I love my V11's keys!!!

Thank all of you for being so supporting as I was scrambling to get things sorted. Was a long day at work, but I am happy I didn't have to shell out another $1K-1500, after I just spent $2K USD for a full top-to-bottom servicing with new tires!

Whew!!! I feel like drinking now...

I say this all the time, but I can't wait to ride my V11 in the Spring!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good feeling to find them. Something you might look for in any paperwork you may have received with the bike, is the key code tag. I have on a few occasions found that the previous owner was diligent enough and kept it with the extra 'pristine' key or taped it to a document to keep safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

Good feeling to find them. Something you might look for in any paperwork you may have received with the bike, is the key code tag. I have on a few occasions found that the previous owner was diligent enough and kept it with the extra 'pristine' key or taped it to a document to keep safe.

No key code tag was provided, unfortunately.

I'm over the moon happy to have my keys!!! :)

@VtwinStorm

I only have a single key to my Le Mans.

I leave it in the ignition switch, when parked in my garage. There is no depletion since there is no transponder.

MGcycle sells key blanks, so it is easy to cut one or two spares and store them.

Then there are the Air Tags, which can also save the day, especially if you loose your key while away from home base.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, p6x said:

@VtwinStorm

I only have a single key to my Le Mans.

I leave it in the ignition switch, when parked in my garage. There is no depletion since there is no transponder.

MGcycle sells key blanks, so it is easy to cut one or two spares and store them.

Then there are the Air Tags, which can also save the day, especially if you loose your key while away from home base.

One key? Left in the ignition? While you are away from home?

You certainly love to live life dangerously, don't you, Mr. Powers?

I have two fresh cut keys, and one original for my V11 Sport.

I keep three keys for each vehicle...each in a different location...just in case!

Soooo grateful I didn't have to get a new ignition cylinder, and all those other hassles! Thank my lucky stars!

Knowing the idiosyncrasy of the marque, I immediately ordered two blank keys and headed to the local locksmith. When I produced the OEM key and the blanks, she immediately said "Oh, we have those blanks." Well, so much for the exclusivity of the keys. Anyway, I had two spares made - primary keys actually, and stashed the originals in my safe. Dipped the new key heads in red PlastiDip, attached an old Nautica floating key fob and there you have it. Come hell, they'll match, and come high water, they'll float.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, po18guy said:

attached an old Nautica floating key fob and there you have it. Come hell, they'll match, and come high water, they'll float.

You did not consider purchasing one of those wonderfully expensive Moto Guzzi key rings at 47 EUR a pop? it includes a carabiner so you can fasten your precious key and never misplace it...

https://www.motoguzzi.com/it_IT/accessori/merchandising/portachiavi/portachiavi-moto-guzzi-606667m/

606667m-00-01-thumb.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, p6x said:

You did not consider purchasing one of those wonderfully expensive Moto Guzzi key rings at 47 EUR a pop? it includes a carabiner so you can fasten your precious key and never misplace it...

https://www.motoguzzi.com/it_IT/accessori/merchandising/portachiavi/portachiavi-moto-guzzi-606667m/

606667m-00-01-thumb.jpg

No.