Nero Corsa Discovery and Refresh

Scud

As the current caretaker of this Nero Corsa, here's a thread to document her current state and what happens next.

She was previously advertised for sale on this forum, and I was able to pick her up near Mount Whitney.

IMG_2202.jpeg

Since I did not get to see or ride the bike before committing, there was fun in the discovery..

Starting with the few problems:

• Running a bit rough
  • Probably tipped on the right (bent front brake lever, rear brake lever replaced)
  • Plastic gauge cup weirdly deformed (like from excess heat)
  • Fuel door housing cracked (never seen that before)
  • Ohlins damper went AWOL, replaced with Bitubo unit

A few non-stock items:

• KM/H speedo (was originally a MPH bike, first sold in Washington)
  • Porkchops and rocker covers repainted (color is brighter than stock, but seems to be a perfect match for the Nero Corsa script on the tail)
  • Arashi front brake rotors 

Some desirable aftermarket goodies:

• Roper plate installed
  • Mistral carbon fiber cans
  • Stucchi crossover
  • rear rack
  • Oxford heated grips
  • Carbon rear hugger (but with some damage)
  • Headgaurds (I think Joe Kenny units)
  • Brass temp sensor holder
  • And best for last (IMO) - I was pleasantly surprised to find that the noisy clutch quieted down when I pulled the lever in. And that it was very grabby... which means somebody put in a RAM lightweight high-performance clutch. And I am STOKED.

A few more pics:

F261C8BB-F9F7-42A3-9786-E1C883F9468E_1_1

0142F330-9363-41C9-80A2-702D3B95E10C_1_1

AD367797-F047-4E1A-B567-54D14C5503FE_1_1

1B559AE4-EE05-4753-940A-1646D080E797_1_1

• Like 7

Quick investigation on the rough running yielded loose intake boots that backed off the heads. I pushed them back into the correct position and snugged them up. Also gave it an Italian tune up with some fresh premium fuel. Now's it's running well.

And took of the rear rack because of this reason:

189585C0-CB1B-40C7-AD6D-2C7AC02D6AB1_1_1

Further bulletins as events warrant...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, docc said:

Yep, those headguards are one of Joe Kenney's designs.  I like this one the best. Fun to fill in the eagle engraving in red.

gallery_328_223_566747.jpeg

That red lettering add's about 10 MPH to the top end too!, or so I have heard.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

That red lettering add's about 10 MPH to the top end too!, or so I have heard.

Good thing my new Speedo will go up to 160 MPH.

Screen%20Shot%202021-12-14%20at%204.36.1

This is my final art from Speedhut. BTW they are having a sale this month - so it's a good time to get an order in if you're looking for a rainy day project.

• Like 6

Scud was one of the pioneers on this forum with Speedhut gauges. Nice gauge faces, buddy! :thumbsup:  

I was trying to figure out why the tach says "Girl x 1000" (but figured, what-the-hey, some guys try to collect those things. A thousand seems like a lot, but what do I know . . . :whistle: )

See Scud's contributions on Kiwi_Roy's thread, Installing Speedhut Gauges. (I love mine!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 12/17/2021 at 8:33 PM, footgoose said:

if it had eagle valve stem caps:helmet:

...so it actually has ONE red Moto Guzzi eagle valve stem cap.

And in other news, it blew a 15 amp fuse twice, so that means it's ready for the lift and some attention to the electrical system along with all the other fun.

I've been collecting bits from various stashes in the garage, and some shiny new things like Rizoma tanks and Pazzo levers. My favorites are the forum-made bits like Chuck and Phil's shift extender, and the drilled-out cush drive rubbers. Of course, I'll be popping in a new unbreakable spring when I do the shift improvement stuff.

I also dug out a bunch of previously powdercoated bits from my aborted Champagne LeMans project. The candy-apple red frame plates and covers look great with the Glossy Black Nero. Speedhut says my gauges will ship next week.

I got the remote clutch-bleeder line that comes on CARC bikes. Gonna try to fit that while I'm in there.

90E5313E-8B15-47F1-863E-6B040BE288B5_1_1

'

27D856F1-C74D-4C9F-9DB5-4A47A1A6C008_1_1

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Scud said:

...so it actually has ONE red Moto Guzzi eagle valve stem cap.

And in other news, it blew a 15 amp fuse twice, so that means it's ready for the lift and some attention to the electrical system along with all the other fun.

I've been collecting bits from various stashes in the garage, and some shiny new things like Rizoma tanks and Pazzo levers. My favorites are the forum-made bits like Chuck and Phil's shift extender, and the drilled-out cush drive rubbers. Of course, I'll be popping in a new unbreakable spring when I do the shift improvement stuff.

I also dug out a bunch of previously powdercoated bits from my aborted Champagne LeMans project. The candy-apple red frame plates and covers look great with the Glossy Black Nero. Speedhut says my gauges will ship next week.

I got the remote clutch-bleeder line that comes on CARC bikes. Gonna try to fit that while I'm in there.

90E5313E-8B15-47F1-863E-6B040BE288B5_1_1

'

27D856F1-C74D-4C9F-9DB5-4A47A1A6C008_1_1

Some very tasty bits you have there, Scud!

3DB0DF16-788E-4DCB-BB0A-F2984C6606A4_1_1

Cleaning up and inspecting... and a few more "discoveries" to report:

Most things are in good order, and it already had Omron relays in all 5 positions.

The bolt for the top shock mount was difficult to remove - put it against a straightedge, and sure enough, it was bent.

I tested the CARC-style remote clutch bleeder on a spare clutch slave cylinder and it is going to work. It uses the same banjo bolt as the brake calipers. 

And I found a rather unpleasant scar on the side of the transmission. I was going to open it up and do the whole shift improvement thing, but it was shifting find and the PO said an improved spring had already been installed. So I am going to leave it in place and just change the oil.

86A25BEA-851E-4313-9F02-86BAE8E53339_1_1

I also got a good look at the flywheel. It appears to be the same aluminum disc as came stock with Rosso Mandello and Scura. But since it did not come stock with this bike, I wonder if it is safe to assume it was not part of the "bad batch" of flywheels. I have no idea when it was installed, but it's got quite a few miles on it already. Hmmmm.....

• Confused 1

And here is some clean up... and installed the powder coated subframe and candy-apple red plates. Popped the tranny vent in the ultrasonic cleaner, removed drive shaft for complete service, etc. etc. etc.

C184A424-32E4-4B58-B643-385A4FD838A8_1_1

93F5344A-C0DB-4EBB-868B-B4EF7DADC1FA_1_1

Good thing it's been rainy here. More rain tomorrow. More "rainy-day" projects...

• Like 4

Wow! Great work, as always, @Scud! :thumbsup:

Let's face it, there is only ONE truly "improved" shift spring for the V11 6speeder. Chuck-engineered, it is the ScudSuperSpring. :sun:

And what is this? I mean that's a nice weld and all, but whoever cracked their shift plate? :blink:

86A25BEA-851E-4313-9F02-86BAE8E53339_1_1