Vibration in grips at 3k-5k RPM...any way to correct?

VtwinStorm

6 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

My body is a tank, so it is the bike.

Well it’s the middle of winter, can’t get out to ride, I’ve consumed too many pies & too much beer over the festive season, and by mid-March when I usually start riding again, all my gear will have shrunk over the winter :(

At the NEC bike show in December I found this machine. It makes a V11 feel as compact 0D316ED1-7949-4128-AE15-CA1979A6C2C0.jpegas a FS1E :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guzzimax said:

Well it’s the middle of winter, can’t get out to ride, I’ve consumed too many pies & too much beer over the festive season, and by mid-March when I usually start riding again, all my gear will have shrunk over the winter :(

At the NEC bike show in December I found this machine. It makes a V11 feel as compact 0D316ED1-7949-4128-AE15-CA1979A6C2C0.jpegas a FS1E :D

What confuses me is that I seem to have moved into a parallel universe where the normal laws of physics are reversed. For every 1 KG of food I consume I put on 2 KG of weight, sigh. Seems my body has turned into a perpetual motion device and actually runs on thin air and stores double what I eat.

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 12/31/2021 at 8:59 PM, Scud said:

I have them on my Scura and I mounted a set on a Greenie.

IMG_7535.jpg

You will need to shave down the rubber inserts that come with the Napoleons. They are made for smooth, not threaded bar ends. It's tedious, but I like the Napoleon mirrors.

As I recall, there was not much difference in feel between the weighted bars and the mirrors. 

Scud, are those the Valentin Napoleons? I'm going to just get a pair, just because.

Re mirrors - I don't know anything about Valentin. But they are genuine Napoleons. And like others have said... you really need to get that bike tuned up. Don't try to cure the symptom at the bars, try to cure the problem in the engine. The Napoleon mirrors look cool and give better visibility than the stockers. Those are the only reasons to buy them. And on the down side, they somewhat limit your lane-splitting ability.

Re the BMW cruisers - I rode them at a BMW demo day at my local dealer. I really wanted to like them, but they shook terribly at a reasonable mid-range RPM - and the seat vibrated (which I guess is a "feature" for some people). So you either had to lug it or wind it up. Apparently this was done intentionally so it would feel more like a Harley... so sad... they sure look pretty though. Instead of a new BMW cruiser, you could buy a low mileage Audace and a California Touring and still have money left over.

• Like 4

I remember reading that when Honda reset the firing on their Shadow (ACE?) to mimic the Harley experience, the engineers complained bitterly (in their circumspect, Japanese way) and horsepower was down.

It was not a popular Shadow . . . :glare:

49 minutes ago, Scud said:

Re mirrors - I don't know anything about Valentin. But they are genuine Napoleons. And like others have said... you really need to get that bike tuned up. Don't try to cure the symptom at the bars, try to cure the problem in the engine. The Napoleon mirrors look cool and give better visibility than the stockers. Those are the only reasons to buy them. And on the down side, they somewhat limit your lane-splitting ability.

Re the BMW cruisers - I rode them at a BMW demo day at my local dealer. I really wanted to like them, but they shook terribly at a reasonable mid-range RPM - and the seat vibrated (which I guess is a "feature" for some people). So you either had to lug it or wind it up. Apparently this was done intentionally so it would feel more like a Harley... so sad... they sure look pretty though. Instead of a new BMW cruiser, you could buy a low mileage Audace and a California Touring and still have money left over.

I was eyeballing a guy's HD at a vendor in Florida and noticed a toggle switch around the passenger pillion...asked what it was for. Wellllll.....it wasn't for a heated seat (in the conventional sense).:o

• Haha 1

All this talk about hand numbing vibration, I don't have that issue at all on my Scura, but I also use a Crampbuster on all my bikes to avoid any wrist strain, but I'm curious now whether the clips on have any filler in them or not.  May have to take a look.  I tried mounting Napoleon's a few years ago, but the "shaving" down process was overly complex, so back to standard Aprilia/Guzzi mirrors, I took off the Mickey mouse round ones, those just seemed like a couple of lollipops.  

My odometer is at 09999, ready to roll over on the next trip, just in time to start racking up the miles this year with this wonderful riding weather down here in Texas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scud said:

Tune up, tune up, tune up...the bike was given a complete service at a Moto Guzzi dealer. Haven't heard her run yet, so no idea if the vibration was smoothed out at that time. 

They put 18 miles on her (I zeroed the trip meter) and told me she runs beautifully.

Until I can ride her, I won't know.

Still want the Napoleons...

The Mighty Scura now has black Napoleons here in the midwest where it's more important to see if that's a cop car behind you than being narrow for lane splitting in SoCal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

The Mighty Scura now has black Napoleons here in the midwest where it's more important to see if that's a cop car behind you than being narrow for lane splitting in SoCal.

Can't imagine you worrying about cops Chuck!!  When you get stopped, do you stick your hand in your vest like Napoleon as well?  You were offering up your Scura the other day if I recall correctly...how many miles are on it now?  I'm thinking those Red grips might also be the reason for no vibrations!  Hope all is well!

Hiya Paul..hope you are doing well, too.  Well, as you can see, the Napoleon's hadn't been installed yet. :rasta:

2016-09-04_04-32-01.jpg

The Mighty Scura has 38820 (bitchin) :grin: miles. The pro grips gel *do* make a noticeable difference..

As I..er.. mature.. the old girl is getting a little heavy. I'm thinning out the herd to the AeroLario being my "wind up" bike. The over 100,000 mile G5 went to a good home (and happy customer) :thumbsup: last summer. Just put a new Conti Road Attack3 on the rear for the next keeper. She interviewed a couple of guys at the Kentucky rally this fall. "Oh, Gawd.. I really need that bike, but don't have the money right now." 

I don't need money, so I'll wait unless some other qualified prospect comes along. Another friend wants the old girl. He's an aircraft mechanic, and would be another good keeper. I want her to be kept in the manner that she has become accustomed..:oldgit:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Chuck said:

Separated at birth... My Scura is 375. Dang... we almost got them together that day we rode with Rox on his Scura in Santa Monica mountains. But mine was spitting oil out the timing cover that day - so I brought a red LeMans to Scura rally.

Yours really needs to be moved back to the mountains so she can be ridden again in the manner to which she is accustomed. No more of this long, flat, traffic citation harvesting.

• Like 3

Oh, I agree the old girl would much prefer that, but the Skorpion is a really sweet ride, and much lighter. (sigh) One of the prospective keepers is in Kentucky. That would be a good thing.

I remember that day in the Santa Monicas well, although I was pretty under the weather. I almost called it off, but decided to suck it up. I'm glad I did. :grin: