Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas - 2022 edition - Repository -

p6x

10 minutes ago, p6x said:

@PJPR01

Just to confirm, Buc-ee's Katy sells ethanol free gas too.

It is probably psychological, but it seems my bike coughs less on Eth free gas. Needs to be confirmed though.

just don't put it in your Corvette.  Your Guzzi should be fine.

Merci P6x!  That's good to hear on the Katy site, and hopefully for your LeMans as well.   Any luck on finding the source of the oil leak/leaks?

I put the Ethanol free into my cars and bikes, they seem to run a bit smoother...no issues at all.

John...why doesn't it work in your Vette?

My Sport would definitely cough less on non-ethanol. Then it became almost impossible here to find it in higher octane.  After running Shell V-Power Nitro-Plus® for a few years, I find it performs very well. I still would not want to leave it stored in the "Nylon" tank for extended periods. Call it binary azeotropophobia, but otherwise I've had good results with the current Shell premium product.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

I wonder why so many V11's have a cough...I must be lucky that mine doesn't have one...am I in the minority here?

I could probably list a dozen reasons why the V11 can cough-sputter-stumble-hiccup-fart-or otherwise "mis-fire."  When the contributors all combine to some extent, addressing the "source" can be very frustrating. As is the case with all "multi-causal" conditions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

just don't put it in your Corvette.  Your Guzzi should be fine.

I don't have a Corvette. If I was to have one, it would probably be a C3, and out of the C3 line, most likely a 1976. Red of course.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Merci P6x!  That's good to hear on the Katy site, and hopefully for your LeMans as well.   Any luck on finding the source of the oil leak/leaks?

I put the Ethanol free into my cars and bikes, they seem to run a bit smoother...no issues at all.

I washed the engine yesterday, took it for a 50 miles run today; I could not see any seepage. I am wondering if it only happens when I run it above 5k rpm.

I am not certain I would do a 22 miles return trip just to fill up with Ethanol free gas. Unless it is on my way.

I think John meant that we can use Ethanol mixed gas with our V11, but not in our Corvettes. At least not the vintage ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

I could probably list a dozen reasons why the V11 can cough-sputter-stumble-hiccup-fart-or otherwise "mis-fire."  When the contributors all combine to some extent, addressing the "source" can be very frustrating. As is the case with all "multi-causal" conditions.

For me, the test is quite easy. I just have to run the engine at low rpm, in 1st gear, and the V11 tells me immediately it does not like that. At all.

As I record all my refueling using the Tripit app, I want to fill it a few more times with Ethanol Free gas, just to check if I get a better autonomy on top of a better injection.

1 hour ago, PJPR01 said:

I wonder why so many V11's have a cough...I must be lucky that mine doesn't have one...am I in the minority here?

If your V11 does not cough, it is because you have an updated injection map. The cough originates from the obligation to respect European emission rules; the so called EURO-X.

Guzzi could have easily ignored these rules for USA exports V11; but why bother? just make them all compliant with the most stringent requirements. Unless of course, you are VW, and trick the test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

As I mentioned earlier.  I was driving from Houston, going home.  I filled up at Buck-ee's.  My mpg lost 4 mpg.  I'm guessing that their premium gas had a lot of ethanol/air/water filler in it.  

Some of you preto engineers can tell me why I'm wrong.  I still didn't like the three block walk to the bathroom.  First and last time of getting gas there after numerous opportunities since.  

@docc

the only engines that ran smoothly in speed sustaining mode (back in these days) were the 2 strokes.

Also, carburetors and crude ignition systems were probably not as finicky in that way. Obviously, harmonizing the carburetors using level depression meters was probably a work of art. 

3 minutes ago, p6x said:

@docc

the only engines that ran smoothly in speed sustaining mode (back in these days) were the 2 strokes.

Also, carburetors and crude ignition systems were probably not as finicky in that way. Obviously, harmonizing the carburetors using level depression meters was probably a work of art

AKA; "Black Art?" As in: staying up all night long to try and tune the fuel delivery to the ignition? :ph34r:  :ninja:  :luigi:

4 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

As I mentioned earlier.  I was driving from Houston.  I filled up at Buck-ee's.  My mileage lost for 4 mpg.  I'm guessing that their 

True that. I actually do not know where Buc-ee's purchase their gas. This is a question I asked them, through their website. They never answered so far. I asked last year. I usually fuel up at Costco, and I did notice a difference when I use Buc-ee's' gas.

Or maybe it is my imagination again.

2 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

I can share a couple of possible reasons.  I had my Sport on a Dynojet chassis dyno.  The torque curve on my bike craters at about 1800-2000 and then pops right back up.  Just enough to give an "oh-shit" moment taking off on an intersection leaned over for a turn..  

The other thing, putting in new plugs seems to help as well as a healthy move with the right wrist.

I'm not saying this is a universal issue, just my experience.  

As they say, your mileage might very (especially if you fill up at Buck-ee's  B))

• Like 1