Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas - 2022 edition - Repository -

p6x

I have added a Google Map with all the required stops for this year's Texas tour in my OP.

This is my fourth stop, #31.

IMG_0405Texas City Birth place of USAF

• Like 2

Nice one!! Great pic!  By the way, does your app for tracking mileage also give you an average MPH?  That could help correlate then to the MPG…for comparing ethanol vs. non ethanol performance. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PJPR01 said:

Nice one!! Great pic!  By the way, does your app for tracking mileage also give you an average MPH?  That could help correlate then to the MPG…for comparing ethanol vs. non ethanol performance. 

This App. is aimed at those who travel professionally and need to track expenses. I am not subscribed, so I don't have access to the reporting. I can only take screen shots of the stats.

My airbag App tracks my speed and mileage. However, I don't have access to the data. Otherwise, I could correlate.

I need more mileage before I can decide what Ethanol free gas does, or does not.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, docc said:

I love the juxtaposition of the jet fighter with the biplane and how the V11 fits somewhere in between . . .

52030000813_ba86275a1f_b.jpg

I have ordered a tripod that I should be able to carry, enabling me to use better photographic equipment. At present I am limited to a fixed lens camera.

My next stop should be #21; Point Bolivar Lighthouse;

It should be interesting since there is a ferry ride between Galveston and Point Bolivar.

• Thanks 1

The ferry ride, albeit short is enjoyable especially on a nice day!  Most days you should be able to see dolphins swimming along near the boats…

• Like 2

@PJPR01Have you been to the Salt-Lick BBQ in Driftwood?

I bet you have. I think I am going to give it a try; not so much because it is an "All you can eat" Barbecue, rather, they have their own wine cellar and they offer some Texas made wine.

I like they seem to have a lot of room unlike all the other popular BBQs in Austin that require long waits which kind of kill the pleasure of going out for a "graillou"

• Like 1

Actually that's a cool suggestion...I have not tried it yet!  Will have to put this on the must visit list on my next trip out to Luckenbach....merci!

Sixth stop: #49 Camp Hearne in Hearne Texas;

228 miles return trip.

Houston, Waller (fuel top-up at Buc-ee's), Hearne, Navasota, Waller (Fuel top-up at Buc-ee's), Houston.

Very educative as I had an incredible full briefing of Camp Hearne by the custodian of the Camp. If you are interested in history, Camp Hearne was a POW camp set up there mainly for Germans of the Afrika Korps who surrendered. US applied the guidelines of the Geneva convention to the letter.

Because the Africa Korps operated in the desert, then the camp had to be set up in a warm region in the USA. Texas was the ideal candidate.

Camp Hearne was like Club Med. The Germans (few Italians and few Japanese) had access to anything they requested. Including art, music, theater, movies what not....

The photo below shows a small part of the camp, since the land was reclaimed after the camp was closed.

The trip was uneventful if excepted for a run on FM 362, from Waller to the 6th North. I have now understood why FM means "Farm to Market"; it means that on these FM roads, you can find tractors going at 20 mph when you are testing your Michelin Road 5.

No comment!

IMG_0418Camp Hearne Stop 49 photoCamp Hearne setup

• Like 1

Pop Quiz!

Who can tell the names of the six flags that floated on Texas since its creation? no cheating!

Guzzi at the six flags memorial

@PJPR01

Took out the 911 this afternoon to run an errand and another piece replaced by Einer's fell off.

I am going back to Einer's tomorrow to get an explanation. This is rather disappointing, but I will wait to get the rationale before I decide what to feel about it. In any case, my time is precious and that would be my second run for a fix.

• Sad 1