Eighteenth South’n Spine Raid 2022

docc

On 2/3/2022 at 6:32 AM, p6x said:

No Idea what this is, however Texas is spawning in Tennessee...

Buc-ee's has turned out to be so popular in Texas that road trips always include a stop in one of their locations. Whoever invented the concept was genius!!!

Road Trip Wonderland Buc-ee’s Sevierville, Tennessee Location Will Be the World’s Largest Convenience Store

I would imagine this one might be a “joint venture” with Dolly Parton…as she is from Sevierville if I remember correctly. 

Clean bathrooms, good coffee, ethanol free gas (todays price was $3.99 per gallon), friendly staff, decent chopped brisket sandwiches, and well organized stores.  I usually sit outside on a pile of bags to enjoy my coffee, and then keep riding, inevitably someone comes up to chat about the Guzzi…. Today was exactly one of those days, with a few other stops along the way…but on the Norge instead of the Scura today for a bit more wind protection, after all it was in the low 40’s F… with beautiful blue skies and not much traffic!

30 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

I would imagine this one might be a “joint venture” with Dolly Parton…as she is from Sevierville if I remember correctly. 

Clean bathrooms, good coffee, ethanol free gas (todays price was $3.99 per gallon), friendly staff, decent chopped brisket sandwiches, and well organized stores.  I usually sit outside on a pile of bags to enjoy my coffee, and then keep riding, inevitably someone comes up to chat about the Guzzi…. Today was exactly one of those days, with a few other stops along the way…but on the Norge instead of the Scura today for a bit more wind protection, after all it was in the low 40’s F… with beautiful blue skies and not much traffic!

What!  No pic? :nopic:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@PJPR01 let's not jump the gun here... fresh coffee, not "good" coffee. If you ride a Guzzi, your favorite coffee will always be Italian....

What I like of Buc-ee's is as with the bathroom, they seem to have people continuously brewing fresh. I don't think they brew Illy, but it is better than the burned up that you find past morning in other gas stations.

True, I sometimes sit on the deer corn bags, but I like to sit on the Guzzi and watch the people around, see what they do, observe... you know, like the old people.

The Guzzi draws attention inevitably. It is funny sometimes. I mean I get that a lot at traffic lights. Guys lowering their window to tell me how cool the bike looks. I wish it was the girls, but it seems a guy thing, unfortunately...

Since we have Buckle Bunnies, we should have Guzzy Bunnies too, no?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

At risk of confirming effetist tendencies some have long suspected, I am annoyed just now as FedEx has lost my shipment of Illy, due yesterday when we ran out.  "No delivery date scheduled; pending" the website says.  :(

I suppose I will survive on some blackish swill from Martin's.  After all, my mom made "erzatz coffee" in Germany during WWII.  There were various "recipes," but her "favorite" was to burn toast and scrape the black stuff into hot water.  We are blessed people today.

Now, as for SSR 2022, Kathi and I look forward to it.  :bier::drink::mg:

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ha ha!  I stand corrected…fresh coffee, with a little hazelnut creamer mixed in for flavor!

I do prefer Lavazza but Illy is quite delicious as well and something I discovered lately called Zenbunni…

Coffee like Motos is a very particular taste…although I do frequent an Exxon not far from work that has delicious fresh brew Texas Pecan coffee and Kilimanjaro too!

• Like 2

We are all in luck. Tellico Plains, Tennessee, features the Trout Mountain Coffee House (and Inn)!  And also the Telliico Grains Bakery. Expect good coffee, and some great food.

More great food in Tellico Plains, Tennessee, for the South'n Spine Raid at the (long running) Tellicafe

Otherwise, we'll huddle in the garage and scrape burnt toast into hot water. And rejoice!  :bier::drink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

At risk of confirming effetist tendencies some have long suspected, I am annoyed just now as FedEx has lost my shipment of Illy, due yesterday when we ran out.  "No delivery date scheduled; pending" the website says.  :(

I suppose I will survive on some blackish swill from Martin's.  After all, my mom made "erzatz coffee" in Germany during WWII.  There were various "recipes," but her "favorite" was to burn toast and scrape the black stuff into hot water.  We are blessed people today.

Now, as for SSR 2022, Kathi and I look forward to it.  :bier::drink::mg:

Bill

Ok, you get points for using Illy, however do you purchase it ground or in beans?

If beans, do you use burr or blades to grind them?

What coffee maker do you use? do you have a Bialetti in the house? or even better, do you have an M21? if you do, I am in awe. I considered installing one myself, however you need a direct water feed, and it involved breaking the entire kitchen to route it. The M21 is extremely expensive, but worth it. You can also get it used, still outrageously expensive.

Here in Texas, we can purchase Illy ground or beans off the shelf from HEB, Central Market, and some other specialized stores. Not cheap either since imported.

I have always been fascinated that in Italy, no matter how small the village, how remote, you always get good coffee. Not something that holds true anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Ha ha!  I stand corrected…fresh coffee, with a little hazelnut creamer mixed in for flavor!

I do prefer Lavazza but Illy is quite delicious as well and something I discovered lately called Zenbunni…

Coffee like Motos is a very particular taste…although I do frequent an Exxon not far from work that has delicious fresh brew Texas Pecan coffee and Kilimanjaro too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, docc said:

We are all in luck. Tellico Plains, Tennessee, features the Trout Mountain Coffee House (and Inn)!  And also the Telliico Grains Bakery. Expect good coffee, and some great food.

More great food in Tellico Plains, Tennessee, for the South'n Spine Raid at the (long running) Tellicafe

Otherwise, we'll huddle in the garage and scrape burnt toast into hot water. And rejoice!  :bier::drink:

Sorry for messing up your thread....:unsure:

but you know.... coffee!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"LA BELLEZZA HA UN GUSTO"

See, there? The thread is headed right back on track . . .                                      :mg:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having just bur-ground a measured amount of freshly roasted Peruvian whole beans, I thought I could get this posted while they extract at a pre-selected time/temperature before the result is submitted to my consumption. B)

The new innkeeper, Bryan, at The Lodge at Tellico reached out to @Blueboarhound saying he just reserved a couple rooms for our weekend, but they are not part of the "Guzzi group." He is concerned enough to offer to set a number rooms aside for us and asked that I give him a call. Before I do, I wanted to get your input, realizing there is still no "registration."  Hoping to have something less-than-sketchy to tell him.

How many rooms do we usually need?