Eighteenth South’n Spine Raid 2022

docc

Thanks, @footgoose! I'm going to book my room this far in advance, as well. The original innkeeper was not willing to give us this kind of consideration.

It will be great to see you guys again!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, docc said:

Having just bur-ground a measured amount of freshly roasted Peruvian whole beans, I thought I could get this posted while they extract at a pre-selected time/temperature before the result is submitted to my consumption. B)

The new innkeeper, Bryan, at The Lodge at Tellico reached out to @Blueboarhound saying he just reserved a couple rooms for our weekend, but they are not part of the "Guzzi group." He is concerned enough to offer to set a number rooms aside for us and asked that I give him a call. Before I do, I wanted to get your input, realizing there is still no "registration."  Hoping to have something less-than-sketchy to tell him.

How many rooms do we usually need?

Frankly,  I really don't think we are a good bet on the innkeeper "blocking off rooms," being the slippery bunch that we are. :whistle:

Seriously, if you really do want to make the Eighteenth South'n SpineRaid, weekend after Labor Day 2022,  it is not too soon to reserve a room (and a space in the garage! :luigi: ).

https://lodgeattellico.com/

• Like 2

Okay, so . . . heads-up, y'all . . .

Bryan tells me that building 200 is sold out for our weekend (the rooms above the "Game Room").  I just reserved a room in 400 (above the garage) and understand there is one left in that building. 

And this is seven months out! :o

What is up? What changed?

IMO, it is two years of people not getting out and now making a determined effort to travel. I saw this happen to a friend who takes his RV and motorcycles to Florida every year for Antique Motorcycle Club of America and "Bike Week". Not this year. Asked why, he told me, "Everything is booked up." :huh:

Seriously consider making your reservation for SSR XVIII if that is on your Hopes&Wishes List. I told Bryan that our status of non-organization, non-event, non-registration, and non-entity do not support his offer to "block off rooms."

"Y'all come, now! Ya hear?"

:sun::mg:  :luigi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bryan confirmed my room today. What a great host. We had a nice chat about motorcycling. Docc, you beat me to the room reservation warning. I got the last 'deluxe' room which would leave I suspect the 'basic' and 'premium' All great rooms and fairly priced IMO. Can't wait to get there! ... and um ... bring tools?:luigi:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I see that Robbinsville has a Quality Inn now.   There's also Tapaco Lodge on 28.   B)

The Tapoco is awesome! I've never stayed there, but their restaurant is our Saturday lunch destination/ re-gather place!

IMG_9612.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

Okay, so . . . heads-up, y'all . . .

Bryan tells me that building 200 is sold out for our weekend (the rooms above the "Game Room").  I just reserved a room in 400 (above the garage) and understand there is one left in that building. 

And this is seven months out! :o

What is up? What changed?

IMO, it is two years of people not getting out and now making a determined effort to travel. I saw this happen to a friend who takes his RV and motorcycles to Florida every year for Antique Motorcycle Club of America and "Bike Week". Not this year. Asked why, he told me, "Everything is booked up." :huh:

Seriously consider making your reservation for SSR XVIII if that is on your Hopes&Wishes List. I told Bryan that our status of non-organization, non-event, non-registration, and non-entity do not support his offer to "block off rooms."

"Y'all come, now! Ya hear?"

:sun::mg:  :luigi:

I reckon you're right mate.

This is what we found here in Oz, well Victoria anyway.

We were hit pretty hard with lockdowns and restrictions etc so when they lifted.....

EXODUS to the regions especially as we still couldn't travel interstate, so EVERYWHERE was booked out.

I'm going to try and getaway near the end of summer when it'll have settled down!

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, docc said:

The Tapoco is awesome! I've never stayed there, but their restaurant is our Saturday lunch destination/ re-gather place!

IMG_9612.jpg

food for thought  

If I had a "five-day-four-night"  pass for the SSR, I would try to stay at TheTapocoLodge.

Even at year-eighteen, SSR XVIII, this remains an >insertion/extraction operation< for me, with my Sport.

3440771.jpg

• Like 3

The Tapoco Lodge. Pronounced Ta-PO-ka, as I was told by the attending server, is nearly biker perfection. A lovely building isolated in a seriously beautiful spot, with a dedicated 'motorcycles only' lot with covered spaces. Located a few miles from the infamous "tail of the dragon" and great roads in any direction. I've not stayed there but the atmosphere and menu at lunch are "high end-but on casual Friday-nearly an office party-bordering on the last half of a wedding reception." I'll bet the rooms and associated features are equally pleasing.

IMG-1190.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, docc said:

Having just bur-ground a measured amount of freshly roasted Peruvian whole beans, I thought I could get this posted while they extract at a pre-selected time/temperature before the result is submitted to my consumption. B)

The new innkeeper, Bryan, at The Lodge at Tellico reached out to @Blueboarhound saying he just reserved a couple rooms for our weekend, but they are not part of the "Guzzi group." He is concerned enough to offer to set a number rooms aside for us and asked that I give him a call. Before I do, I wanted to get your input, realizing there is still no "registration."  Hoping to have something less-than-sketchy to tell him.

How many rooms do we usually need?

Booked mine back in December 😁

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 10:16 PM, footgoose said:

The Tapoco Lodge. Pronounced Ta-PO-ka, as I was told by the attending server, is nearly biker perfection. A lovely building isolated in a seriously beautiful spot, with a dedicated 'motorcycles only' lot with covered spaces. Located a few miles from the infamous "tail of the dragon" and great roads in any direction. I've not stayed there but the atmosphere and menu at lunch are "high end-but on casual Friday-nearly an office party-bordering on the last half of a wedding reception." I'll bet the rooms and associated features are equally pleasing.

IMG-1190.JPG

I love learning "local" pronunciations! "Ta-PO-ka", then. It is interesting to look at the Native American place-names that are, seemingly, along the same vein: Tellico, Telliquah, Tallulah, Toccoa, Tehachapi to Tonopah .

And, yet, "Tapoco" is an "acronym" (portmanteau-style blend? :nerd:) attributed to the builders of the adjacent Cheoah Dam, built 1916-1919. Also known as "The Fugitive dam" for its role in the popular Harrison Ford/Tommy Lee Jones movie.

Ta-Po-Co = Tallahassee Power Company

South'n SpineRaiders first visited the Tapoco (before this latest and most excellent remodel) in 2009, the year before we started staying at The Lodge at Tellico.

(In case you are wondering if it's okay to bring your Vincent to a Spine Raid) . . .

small.IMG_5126.jpg.16cf23bc8d0f9ccbcf46a

• Like 4

Someone here owns a Vincent?  Wow...that's been a closely guarded secret!

I'm 50/50 for this year's...wanted to make last years but time off didn't work out.  Of course, there is also the possibility we may be in Italy at the same time...will have to monitor and see which one pans out.

I was not far from you guys over New Year's, as we went thru Birmingham (Barber museum and all), and up thru Lynchville (Jack Daniel's distillery) and then to Nashville for a few days...just a hop, skip and a jump over to Tellico from there!

• Like 2

I just requested 2 rooms and 4 garage spaces. we'll see how it plays out.

Lost year I stayed up the road at the Mountain View cabins. As nice, better view, same price. No garage tho so you'll have to ride back...safely

http://www.tellicologcabins.com/

• Like 2