On 2/21/2022 at 9:39 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Mick Doohan was just an animal on a race track. I'd love to see Jack do well but I don't see him riding a works Ducati next season. Too many young fast guys in the Ducati stable and Jack like the majority seems to lack that last 1/2% needed to be a superstar and that's all that separates all of them these days. I always use this as an explanation. The average race track lap is around 100 seconds give or take and with .4 of a second covering the first 5 rows these days that means the guy in 15th position on the grid with basically no chance of getting on the podium is less than 1/2% slower than the pole man and the other guys further up the grid are obviously even less than that. There's not much margin between podium placer and also ran these days. Millers biggest issue is tyre preservation. All these guys can lay down a lap time and Miller better than most at dragging out a quick one off lap but the the real skill is in maintaining your speed and managing tyres come race day. No good having a bike setting that gets you onto the front row which you can't use during the race because it's too aggressive a set up for the tyres and then losing your speed advantage from qualifying because you can't produce the race speed with a race setup. In other word you need to be fast with the qualifying setting and also with the race/tyre preservation setting.

I worry that Miller doesn't have the "adaptability" in his style to take the final step. He seems to be more an "instinct" rider and that takes you to 99.7% not 100% where you need to be. He should look at some of the images taken of himself and Pecco at the same corners and the vast differences in their body positioning on the bike if he wants to eek out another little bit. Peccos fast and preserves the tyres so Miller might want to study and adapt his riding position to someone on the same equipment that's obviously got an advantage over him.

Having said all of that nothings from this coming season would surprise me and I wouldn't dare make any sort of predictions.

Ciao      

I did not closely follow Doohan, since I lapsed after Barry Sheene retired in 1984. I only picked up Motorcycle racing with Valentino Rossi.

For Jack Miller, I always wondered if by-passing Moto2 was a curse or an opportunity.

I know Jack has the speed, but what he lacks is regularity. He is very good at the one fast lap to get a good spot on the starting grid, but not always competitive during the race that follows.

He seems conditioned on particular racing tracks than others, and appears to be lacking the overall performance independently of where the race is taking place. We understand that every pilot favors specific tracks for reason, such as Marc Marquez and the anti-clockwise circuits, and places where their mechanical package will be outstanding, such as the long straights race track for Ducati. Consistency does not seem to be within his reach, and I don't know if it is only because of tire preservation. Looking at Fabio Quartararo last year, he managed to beat the odds even at circuits not overly suited to the M1; he also almost managed to qualify well at every track too. 

But I am certain Jack Miller will try to outdo himself to get his contract renewed, or at least get a chance to migrate to Pramac.

As for 2022 prediction, I am going to go out on a limb maybe, but I see Fabio Quartararo competing for the top spot again maybe fighting Marc Marquez for it. No matter how good it looks for Ducati ahead of the season, they will do well and win races, but the ultimate fight? no certain.

6 hours ago, LowRyter said:

The new Honda is supposed to be a rocket and easier to ride.

If you have cable in the US, Qatar is on CNBC midday on the raceday Sunday, March 6.

FuboTV shows all the races through BEIN in the USA; they have a seven days free trial, if anyone wants to give it a go; they also have Superbike and Moto America.

https://www.fubo.tv/lp/MotoGP/

The Ducati is always the best bike before the season begins and the world championship is won on a Yamaha or a Honda....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, p6x said:

FuboTV shows all the races through BEIN in the USA; they have a seven days free trial, if anyone wants to give it a go; they also have Superbike and Moto America.

https://www.fubo.tv/lp/MotoGP/

The Ducati is always the best bike before the season begins and the world championship is won on a Yamaha or a Honda....

BEiN did great coverage, all the quals and all the races LIVE.   I got a cable upgrade to get it.

BEiN hasn't carried it for the last three years.  After NBC took it over.

12 hours ago, LowRyter said:

BEiN did great coverage, all the quals and all the races LIVE.   I got a cable upgrade to get it.

BEiN hasn't carried it for the last three years.  After NBC took it over.

Thanks for the vetting!

I remember watching MotoGP on Fubo TV several years ago since I no longer want to have anything to do through MotoGP.com subscription.

Should I understand that Fubo TV does not provide any mean to watch MotoGP any longer? ESPN? EuroSport?

• Sad 1
22 hours ago, LowRyter said:

If you have cable in the US, Qatar is on CNBC midday on the raceday Sunday, March 6.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Thanks for the vetting!

I remember watching MotoGP on Fubo TV several years ago since I no longer want to have anything to do through MotoGP.com subscription.

Should I understand that Fubo TV does not provide any mean to watch MotoGP any longer? ESPN? EuroSport?

2 hours ago, p6x said:

Thanks for the vetting!

If Fubo TV shows NBC based channels like CNBC you should be fine. But, as mentioned, MotoGP is no longer on BEiN. Hasn't been for a little while. But the BEiN coverage was great.

• Thanks 1

I watched MotoGP Grand-Prix on various channels, and my favorite journalists were the South Africans working for ESPN.

These guys were former motorcycle pilots, and they knew their craft.

Unfortunately, I could only have South African commentaries while watching ESPN in Africa.

Can you choose who comments the races on CNBC?

• KINDOY2 changed the title to Moto GP
On 2/24/2022 at 4:03 AM, p6x said:

I did not closely follow Doohan, since I lapsed after Barry Sheene retired in 1984. I only picked up Motorcycle racing with Valentino Rossi.

For Jack Miller, I always wondered if by-passing Moto2 was a curse or an opportunity.

I know Jack has the speed, but what he lacks is regularity. He is very good at the one fast lap to get a good spot on the starting grid, but not always competitive during the race that follows.

He seems conditioned on particular racing tracks than others, and appears to be lacking the overall performance independently of where the race is taking place. We understand that every pilot favors specific tracks for reason, such as Marc Marquez and the anti-clockwise circuits, and places where their mechanical package will be outstanding, such as the long straights race track for Ducati. Consistency does not seem to be within his reach, and I don't know if it is only because of tire preservation. Looking at Fabio Quartararo last year, he managed to beat the odds even at circuits not overly suited to the M1; he also almost managed to qualify well at every track too. 

But I am certain Jack Miller will try to outdo himself to get his contract renewed, or at least get a chance to migrate to Pramac.

As for 2022 prediction, I am going to go out on a limb maybe, but I see Fabio Quartararo competing for the top spot again maybe fighting Marc Marquez for it. No matter how good it looks for Ducati ahead of the season, they will do well and win races, but the ultimate fight? no certain.

It wasn't an issue. What was his biggest issue was 2 years spent on the Honda CRT bike which was a total POS. Even Nicky Haydon confirmed this. If Miller had gone to MotoGP on a Yamaha or even a Suzuki he'd be a different and possibly even more successful rider. Starting on that Honda was a liability. As you can see from testing the speed really isn't an issue for Rookies going to MotoGP these days, the bikes aren't that difficult to cut a fast lap on an empty track or alone, what separates them from the experienced guys is leaning to "race" a MotoGP bike. Riding them and racing them is two completely different things.

You see Darren Binder now on the Yamaha and pretty fast. He's got the best bike in the paddock to learn on and will prove the step isn't too great. One advantage coming from Moto2 is they have greater adjustability to chassis and engine so you get greater experience in setting a bike up.

Ciao     

• Like 2

Not such a great start for the Ducati this morning.... 12 is best with Jorge Martinez.

Francesco Bagnaia going down for good measure.

Early days of course....

On 3/4/2022 at 10:33 PM, p6x said:

Not such a great start for the Ducati this morning.... 12 is best with Jorge Martinez.

Francesco Bagnaia going down for good measure.

Early days of course....

For everyone. The Championship doesn't start until the European rounds. Anyone on a 2022 Ducati will be at a disadvantage initially so don't be surprised to see Bastianini doing well initially. Doha is also a "left field" track as well that you can't draw conclusions from.

Ciao   

• Like 1

As you said Phil they will get the new 2022 electronics sorted in a couple showings...Bastianini is on last years Factory bike though Correct? , Its tried and proven so probably no unknowns or surprises to deal with .  He rode a great race to the end though and waited for his openings ..a smart young rider.