Francesco Bagnaia seems to have found his old self again? at least he kept Fabio Quartararo at bay during the length of the GP.

This is the first victory of the GP22, so Ducati must have had a sigh of relief. From pole too. I personally think that if Fabio Quartararo had managed to be ahead on the first curve, he may not have gone away.

We will never know.

It seemed that Marc Marquez did better than expected too. Not yet fighting for first podium, but improved. That elbow save was him, 100%.

Personally, seeing Aleix on the podium again was very pleasing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
EnGLHoEB6EhXNybBdPv21w_64x64.png
MotoGP

1. 2022 Standings
    Rank Rider Points Wins Podiums  
    France
    F. Quartararo
    Yamaha

Spain
    A. Espargaró
    Aprilia

Italy
    E. Bastianini
    Ducati

Spain
    Á. Rins
    Suzuki

Italy
    F. Bagnaia
    Ducati

Spain
    J. Mir
    Suzuki

France
    J. Zarco
    Ducati

South Africa
    B. Binder
    KTM

Spain
    M. Márquez
    Honda

Portugal
    M. Oliveira
    KTM

Australia
    J. Miller
    Ducati

Spain
    P. Espargaró
    Honda

Spain
    J. Martín
    Ducati

Spain
    M. Viñales
    Aprilia

Japan
    T. Nakagami
    Honda

Italy
    F. Morbidelli
    Yamaha

Spain
    Á. Márquez
    Honda

Italy
    M. Bezzecchi
    Ducati

Italy
    L. Marini
    Ducati

Italy
    A. Dovizioso
    Yamaha

South Africa
    D. Binder
    Yamaha

Australia
    R. Gardner
    KTM

Spain
    R. Fernández
    KTM

Italy
    F. Di Giannantonio
    Ducati

Italy
    L. Savadori
    Aprilia

Germany
    S. Bradl
    Honda

• Thanks 1

Blistering pace and great riding…you can see the admiration grow between Peco and Fabio…savoring the competition…very pleased to see Marquez at least improving and getting more competitive again!

On 4/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, GuzziMoto said:

He still did well there the first race, winning after the leader (Gagne) crashed. Had Gagne not crashed it did not look like Petrucci had anything for him. But, as they say, to finish first first you must finish.

Moto America was kind enough to make the two rounds available to watch on YouTube.

I have a different take on Gagné's crash. Petrucci had just beaten the lap record, and Gagné was feeling the heat from behind. He set his own lap record and then went down. This is what happens when you are under pressure from a pursuit. We could agree that Gagné would not have crashed if Petrucci had been off pace.

On a side note, Gagné is the past participle of the verb "Gagner", "To win".

-Jake Gagne: Jake wins.

-Jake à gagné: Jake won.

The proper way to write Jake' surname would be with an accent on the final e. "é". Else the pronunciation would be like a silent "e". But as I discovered myself, in the US the administration can't put accents.

Anyway, I am eager to see what happens on the next race.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, p6x said:

Moto America was kind enough to make the two rounds available to watch on YouTube.

I have a different take on Gagné's crash. Petrucci had just beaten the lap record, and Gagné was feeling the heat from behind. He set his own lap record and then went down. This is what happens when you are under pressure from a pursuit. We could agree that Gagné would not have crashed if Petrucci had been off pace.

On a side note, Gagné is the past participle of the verb "Gagner", "To win".

-Jake Gagne: Jake wins.

-Jake à gagné: Jake won.

The proper way to write Jake' surname would be with an accent on the final e. "é". Else the pronunciation would be like a silent "e". But as I discovered myself, in the US the administration can't put accents.

Anyway, I am eager to see what happens on the next race.

Petrucci was riding well, but he had not yet shown Gagne a wheel or put him under pressure in any way. In Jake's mind he just made a stupid unforced mistake. He certainly didn't seem to be under pressure. But, it doesn't matter if he was under pressure or not. In the end, Gagne crashed and Petrucci walked away to an easy win. But that was offset by the Ducati failing. The sad part is, we are still waiting for a straight up race between Gagne and Petrucci. I am looking forward to that. I suspect it is only going to get better.

I am super happy to see Aprilia do well. I am not a fan of either Espargaro, but I am a fan of Aprilia. So I am happy to see Aleix do well.

18 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

am super happy to see Aprilia do well. I am not a fan of either Espargaro, but I am a fan of Aprilia. So I am happy to see Aleix do well.

Did you like Max Biaggi?

Confidence for confidence, I am not a big fan of the "Escargots" brothers either....

I am really wondering about Maverick Viñales. I was expecting him to come out now that the Aprilia seems to be going well. He got a brand new crash helmet painted as his Top Gun alter ego, which got him a tweet from Tom Cruise:

-From one Maverick to the other.... Nice!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, p6x said:

Did you like Max Biaggi?

Confidence for confidence, I am not a big fan of the "Escargots" brothers either....

I am really wondering about Maverick Viñales. I was expecting him to come out now that the Aprilia seems to be going well. He got a brand new crash helmet painted as his Top Gun alter ego, which got him a tweet from Tom Cruise:

-From one Maverick to the other.... Nice!

I was never much of a fan of Max Biaggi. I respected his talent, but I didn't care for his attitude. But I did enjoy when Biaggi rode for Aprilia in WSBK. Like him or not, he has skills.

The Espargaro brothers have a cockyness that seems out of place in a racer who hasn't really won anything. But I respect their heart, they try hard. Especially Aleix.

Vinales was always a hot and cold racer, who would often run cold more than he runs hot. If he is able to get his confidence on the Aprilia he may end up winning a race. If that happens, it would not surprise me. But that will never happen on a regular basis. Signing him was a mistake. Aprilia could have used that money to sign a rider who was on their way up, not a guy who is on his way out. I want to see Aprilia do well. But it was a pipe dream to think Vinales was going to come in and run up front on a regular basis. He just isn't that kind of racer. He is way to hit and miss, with the emphasis on miss.

• Like 1

I just heard that Suzuki will officially announce its departure from MotoGP at the end of the MotoGP 2022.

This is going to set the pilot musical chairs in turmoil.

I regret to see Suzuki leaving when they seem to be performing well. Apparently a business decision after the hard times experienced these two past seasons.

I would pretty much think Pol Espargaro's seat at Repsol Honda could suit Johan Mir pretty well. Not sure about Rins.

• 2 weeks later...

Today Suzuki officially confirmed their intention to leave MotoGP at the end of the season, pending a deal with Dorna.

Suzuki stated they want to recenter their financial efforts towards the fast changing automobile ecosystem.

Sad news and I don't know what it is going to do for the motivation of the two actual pilots.

17 hours ago, p6x said:

Today Suzuki officially confirmed their intention to leave MotoGP at the end of the season, pending a deal with Dorna.

Suzuki stated they want to recenter their financial efforts towards the fast changing automobile ecosystem.

Sad news and I don't know what it is going to do for the motivation of the two actual pilots.

I suspect it will actually light a fire under them, as they will both be auditioning for a ride on a team that will be on the grid next year. Rins looking fast, but he can be fast. His issue is can he not crash. If he can stop crashing without loosing much speed, he could be a contender. As they say, it is easier to teach a fast guy to not crash then teach a slow guy to be fast.

Looking forward to seeing that shoulder cam in the race. Hopefully it will be a clear view, with Aleix out front. A second win would be sweet. I can dream.

Sad about Suzuki. Their motorcycle arm seems to have taken a back seat. It sounds like they will have no presence in upper tier motorcycle racing in any class.

3 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I suspect it will actually light a fire under them, as they will both be auditioning for a ride on a team that will be on the grid next year. Rins looking fast, but he can be fast. His issue is can he not crash. If he can stop crashing without loosing much speed, he could be a contender. As they say, it is easier to teach a fast guy to not crash then teach a slow guy to be fast.

Looking forward to seeing that shoulder cam in the race. Hopefully it will be a clear view, with Aleix out front. A second win would be sweet. I can dream.

Sad about Suzuki. Their motorcycle arm seems to have taken a back seat. It sounds like they will have no presence in upper tier motorcycle racing in any class.

You'd think the team itself will try their best and stay together if possible, despite losing Mir.   The big question is obtaining sponsorship and getting a satellite bike(s).  I'd guess Ducati is taped out, Aprilia has nothing, Honda and KTM might be able to add a bike or two.  I wonder how much Dorna will help them? 

Bottomline, these guys are pretty talented whether the team stays in tact or not.  If Dorna loses two bikes off the grid, I'd guess the ripple effect might affect personnel in the other teams rather all of these guys.

3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

"Aprilia has nothing"

During FP2, there was an interview to Massimo Rivola Aprilia's CEO, and he said that Dorna's primary objective, is to have a new factory substitute to Suzuki's outing.

However, he said that should the opportunity arise, they could provide bikes for another team, providing it happens soon because to be ready for 2023, they basically need to start now.

So at least we understand that the decision is mainly resting on Dorna.

19 hours ago, p6x said:

During FP2, there was an interview to Massimo Rivola Aprilia's CEO, and he said that Dorna's primary objective, is to have a new factory substitute to Suzuki's outing.

However, he said that should the opportunity arise, they could provide bikes for another team, providing it happens soon because to be ready for 2023, they basically need to start now.

So at least we understand that the decision is mainly resting on Dorna.

That squares with my point and makes sense.