Moto Grappa Tech Days MMXXII

Bill Hagan

Good morning -- or whatever it is when and where you read this -- from the top of Virginia where we are still tidying up the battlefield and shooting the wounded after the latest iteration of Moto Grappa Tech Days.

i-R3MgtzB-L.jpg

The slideshow and its captions tell the story without more, so I'll just post the link with the only intro being that it's mostly about wrenching, bench racing, competitive eating, bourbon, beer, and BS.  :grin:

As with my other Smugmug albums, the link opens in "landscape collage," meaning you don't have to slog through every one of the (yes, I know, too many  :wink:) pix to see all or the ones, if any, that might interest you.  Hover your cursor over individual pix to see captions if you care.

MGTD MMXXII

Bill

ip.gif Logged

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I did not see a single bottle of Grappa though...

I drunk a lot of the equivalent of Grappa before I started to work in Italy... lol..

For those of you who want to know more about Grappa: https://bespokeunit.com/spirits/grappa/

It is a spirit made from the left overs of skins, pulp, seeds after grapes are processed into wine. Not particularly tasty since it was just a liquor designed to recycle instead of throwing away.

However, what initially was only a crude spirit started to be turned into something more refined, and became a more "noble" liquor and gained some fervent supporters.

The French equivalent is Marc de Bourgogne.

A few glasses help to make the V11 a lot lighter in weight, and a lot higher in spirit....  just kidding.... no drinking and riding...

@Bill Hagan Thanks for sharing!!! I liked it a lot.

• Like 2

Inspirational as usual, and at the right time. Thanks

thoughts provoked:

Putin

PPK

Stelvio has a belt

Curious Italian passers by.

And then, there's the possibility of the moniker "Moto Grappa" having a back story of some depth??..

6 hours ago, p6x said:

what initially was only a crude spirit started to be turned into something more refined, and became a more "noble" liquor and gained some fervent supporters.

sounds a bit Guzzisti, no?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, footgoose said:

thoughts provoked:

Putin

PPK

Stelvio has a belt

And then, there's the possibility of the moniker "Moto Grappa" having a back story of some depth??..

I cut the grapes in Bourgogne, Gevrey Chambertin; Dupont-Tisserandot domain.

Throughout the day, we had access to Marc and other wines, local food for the entire harvest. Cutting grapes is a real hardship, you are bent continuously, using pruning pliers filling up baskets after baskets. The Marc helped to keep pain in tow.

It is actually a good thing the harvest only happens once a year, and depending on the extent of the domain and the number of people harvesting, it can last several weeks. Giving you the possibility to sample a lot of different wines, and foods.

Lots of students coming to earn a few bucks, and housed on the domain too...  no further comment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Greek version of Grappa is Ouzo? But flavored with anise, perhaps to mask the harshness?

Someone should invite @p6x to the South'n Spine Raid. I think he would fit in swimmingly, enjoy the ride and environs, while bringing a special
"element" to the occasion. :drink:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, docc said:

The Greek version of Grappa is Ouzo? But flavored with anise, perhaps to mask the harshness?

Ouzo is not anything like Grappa or Marc; I was based in Kavala for a little while. I was very fond of the Thassos Island... by the way "Marc" is pronounced "Mar" not like Marc Marquez. The "c" is mute. So you can order it from a bar the next time you are around there.

Ouzo is more like Ricard, Pernod 45, Pastis 51; what is better known as "French Pastis".

Pastis is a long lived tradition from the South of France. This is an aperitif that precedes any lunch. You can add some other liquors into it, to give it an accentuated licorice taste. The Mauresque; you get it by adding Orgeat Syrup in Pastis.

Mauresque

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, p6x said:

I did not see a single bottle of Grappa though...

I drunk a lot of the equivalent of Grappa before I started to work in Italy... lol..

For those of you who want to know more about Grappa: https://bespokeunit.com/spirits/grappa/

It is a spirit made from the left overs of skins, pulp, seeds after grapes are processed into wine. Not particularly tasty since it was just a liquor designed to recycle instead of throwing away.

However, what initially was only a crude spirit started to be turned into something more refined, and became a more "noble" liquor and gained some fervent supporters.

The French equivalent is Marc de Bourgogne.

A few glasses help to make the V11 a lot lighter in weight, and a lot higher in spirit....  just kidding.... no drinking and riding...

@Bill Hagan Thanks for sharing!!! I liked it a lot.

23 hours ago, footgoose said:

thoughts provoked:

Putin

PPK

Stelvio has a belt

23 hours ago, p6x said:

Lots of students coming to earn a few bucks, and housed on the domain too...  no further comment.

Responding to this and other comments in this thread requires more time — and adult beverages of many choices — than the former, at least, permits just now.  That said, I’ll take a quick stab before heading down to the Moto Grappa, donning a HAZMAT suit to clean the place, and finishing the service on the V7 III.

This could just as easily have gone into @LowRyter ’s new thread about travel & grappa, but as I started it here, but will try to respond to some of his remarks here, too.

Oh, this also descends in TLDR territory, but I do include some pix and even vids for the moto-visuals here.

As for @footgoose ’s "provoked thoughts," here, in seriatim, are some comments:

* First, apropos the mention of Putin, which I presume was understandably prompted by calling that beribboned bust by that name.  That “yard art” was a gift from a sculptor friend many years ago.  We only noticed the resemblance when I took the photo.  I think I’ll change out the Italian ribbon for a blue & yellow one. 

This photo — taken earlier this morning at our front gate — should clear up any ambiguity of my view of current events …

i-hJtcDHM-L.jpg

* PPK - Think that Walther was Steve’s, but I was on KP duty and missed most of the chatter.  There are no special “gun nuts” in that group.  OK, maybe one, who has been on History Channel for his artillery!  I took this pic at his place as he fired one of his smaller toys …

i-Rb495Wz-L.jpg

*Stelvio has a belt - Yes, alternator belt.  Changing out the one on my Norge was, while not best done at the side of the road, much easier than on the Stelvio.  

* Curious Italian passers by.  We wondered about that.  One of my retired USAF friends was adamant that I was “wrong” to fly the Italian flag on the main pole.  I told him that our property was — during MGTD, at least — Italian soil.  This same guy is a great friend, but a widower with fixed views.  He once told us that we had too many magnets on our refrigerator!  Anyway, no doubt those flags and banners attracted attention.  Anyone here know or care to guess what those two 3x5 flags are at the gate?

* "And then, there's the possibility of the moniker "Moto Grappa" having a back story of some depth?"

Yes.  But, first, I’ll address @p6x ’s noting no grappa in the MGTD pix.  Actually, there were at least two photos with grappa in them, but his point is well taken.  Lest, however, anyone doubt my credentials — for enjoying, not knowledge — of grappa, see these …  

i-MrMbVCV-L.jpg

i-7zS4w7Z-L.jpg

i-JJL9Wpd-L.jpg

i-FQHvrhZ-L.jpg

The first three pix are of "on hand" grappas; the last -- in the Moto Grappa -- are some that are dry but provided great memories.  The Alexanders are gifts and, arguably, not even grappas ... but close enough even if "too smooth" for my peasant tastes.  I tend to like the more “rustico,” even “bruto,” grappas over the more refined — I won't say effete, but that’s what I mean :P — ones, and I’ll say why, below.  

Now ... back to naming the Moto Grappa.  The short version of “Why Moto Grappa" is a combo of these great bubbas and the “Carb Bar” on Caserma Ederle …

i-jkVNGft-L.jpg

[It’s possible I have gone over the top with that since  …]

i-vqvrhhW-L.jpg

i-PhCNLfv-L.jpg

… and Alpini reunions, mostly in Vicenza Province.

This last was the clincher.  It was the late 1970’s.  These really old WWI veterans — I am about their ages now! — would gather, reminisce, and quaff grappa.  What I knew about the Austro-Hungarian front in WWI was pretty much limited to Hemingway’s “A Farewell to Arms.”  Well, here were The Guys who were there.  Even when discounted 50% by time (and grappa), their stories were amazing and inspiring. That, BTW, is how I learned how to appreciate “homemade” and other more crude grappas over the fancier sort.  

While in Italy, I went on a “staff ride” of the battle here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mount_Ortigara.  Though then 60 years later -- now more than a 100! -- we saw as we walked all sorts of debris of that struggle.  I have a slide somewhere of a boot with a mountain flower blooming in it!  The original foot that wore that boot most likely resides in the Ossuary at Asiago, https://www.venetoway.com/en/military-shrine-of-asiago/

OK, if you are still “here,” and even if not snowbound as is @ LowRyter, you might find these worth wandering through.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/italy/71-strada-delle-52-gallerie-italy.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_front_(World_War_I)

As for comments in the replies that I found “thought provoking,” this of @p6x ranks first:  "Lots of students coming to earn a few bucks, and housed on the domain too...  no further comment.”  You can’t just stop there.  

Off now to the Moto Grappa!

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, docc said:

The flag of Lecco Province in the foreground and the flag of the Lombardy Region beyond . . .

i-R3MgtzB-L.jpg

VERY well done.

Have help or solo?  :D

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

VERY well done.

Have help or solo?  :D

Let's say it wasn't exactly off the top of my head. Yet, a search for the flags of the provinces of Italy lead me to Lombardy. Investigating a flag for Mandello del Lario was unproductive, but asking about "Lecco" gave success! (I know to consider Lecco because of our good man, @v11_meticcio !)  :mg:

Such a very nice display, Sir! Welldone, as always!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1